Work in Progress

30 years war imperal gun emplacement

Posted by dombom on 19 Jul 2021, 11:43

I decided to open a new topic for my 30 years war project, since the topic I posted previously were originally not created by my own.

At this point thanks to to Minutemen, that he let me post some pictures there.
I'm excited for his very ambicious project, you can check it out here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23938

For my project, I'm finally entering the late state and only a few figures are left to paint. Afterwards I have to work on the diorama base, to make it look a bit more realistic.
It is getting crowded now:
dombom  Germany

Posted by Rich W on 19 Jul 2021, 23:01

This is all looking excellent! I see you have a tub of vallejo earth texture in the background. Is this what has produced the wonderful looking soil/mud? Did you then put anything on top of it?
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by dombom on 20 Jul 2021, 06:49

Exactly, I used the vallejo earth texture for the base. I used a mix of european mud and brown earth.
At some places I mixed some static grass in, but just a bit. On top I added some fine sand.
dombom  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 20 Jul 2021, 08:01

Very nice indeed and having read your link it was interesting to see the references to Brigadier Peter Young of the Sealed Knot amongst his other titles.

I saw him on his horse at a spectacular reenactment as a child. Brilliant stuff before H and S got too involved!

Lovely figures, great painting and informed research.

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Jul 2021, 08:19

This looks very much like period paintings of TYW battlefields.
I very much like your work.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 20 Jul 2021, 10:03

C M Dodson wrote:Very nice indeed and having read your link it was interesting to see the references to Brigadier Peter Young of the Sealed Knot amongst his other titles.

I saw him on his horse at a spectacular reenactment as a child. Brilliant stuff before H and S got too involved!

Lovely figures, great painting and informed research.

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,

Chris

I'll echo Chris's comments, this is all looking very good indeed. No-one is going to be getting past that pike block behind the Chevaux de Frise. The groundwork looks very good and realistic.

I also saw Brigadier Peter Young in my youth, at a re-enactment of the Battle of Cheriton (1644) in the early 1970s. He had already established himself as one of the finest military historians of the English Civil Wars, and of course was the Captain-General of the Sealed Knot. On the occasion I saw him he was in full flow, red-faced and with a luxuriant white moustache, dressed gloriously as a Civil War Royalist commander...and telling a poor (pretend) casualty being wheeled on a handcart to "Get up man, it's only a wound !!" in his best Sandhurst RMA high-volume tones. The casualty revived immediately, picked up his musket and re-joined the ranks in double-quick time!!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by dombom on 23 Jul 2021, 08:54

Not much of an update, but the Landsknechte are joining slowly:

dombom  Germany

Posted by Minuteman on 23 Jul 2021, 10:57

A fine painted lansknecht, domboom, although not the same era as your fine 30 years war figures. Is this the start of a new diorama, perhaps of the Italian Wars c. 1500-1525?

Posted by steve_pickstock on 23 Jul 2021, 11:14

Lovely figure, and well painted but unless it is for a specific narrative - like a ghost or something, your landsknechts would quite wrong in this diorama. Including them would be like putting Crimean War soldiers in a WW2 scene next to a tank.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 23 Jul 2021, 12:34

Excellent painted figure, but I join Mark and Steve in the comment about the period. ;-) :thumbup:

30YW (1618-1648): http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Per ... ?period=10

Late renaissance (1500-1600): http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Per ... x?period=9
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by dombom on 11 Aug 2021, 08:27

Thanks for the response.
From my understandung the remnants of the landsknechte fought also during the 30 years war.
At least the landsknechte kit I bought was labeled 30 years war.
From what I got from wikipedia:

The recruitment and organization of mercenary armies in Germany lasted until the middle of the 17th century and again played a decisive role in the Thirty Years' War, after which, however, mercenaries were gradually replaced by the establishment and direct financing of standing armies by the feudal state.

Did the fashion change?
Here my current motives:

Please give me some clarification here, because they were indeed intended for this diorama and I don't wanna put something which is out of place.
dombom  Germany

Posted by sansovino on 11 Aug 2021, 12:25

Sorry Dombom, but the last soldiers are from the 16th century and not the 17th century.
They are Landsknechts and theirs clothes useful for 1510 till 1560. Some manufactors give sometimes really very strange historical informations. The mercenaries of TYW wear other clothes and especially hats.
These figures are useful for the last Burgundy wars, the peasant revolts in Germany or other wars of Charles/Karl V in Italy or Central Europe.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by dombom on 11 Aug 2021, 13:39

Alright, thank you for the clarification :-)
I gonna do another mini diorama with the Landsknechte then and will find some replacement for the 30 years war diorama.
dombom  Germany

Posted by steve_pickstock on 11 Aug 2021, 14:57

dombom wrote:Alright, thank you for the clarification :-)
I gonna do another mini diorama with the Landsknechte then and will find some replacement for the 30 years war diorama.

I look forwards to that, if your 30YW piece is anything to go by, it will be a corker!

I think the confusion comes from the term Landsknecht itself - literally land servant. They were mercenary soldiers, from the late 1400s onwards. During the 1500s they adopted the extravangant clothing shown in the Angus McBride illustration - from an Osprey book, I believe. However with the end of the 1500s and the start of the 1600s, the fashions changed (and I think there was a clamp down of the style of clothing, some people found it offensive, others thought the soldiers' clothes were obscene) and soldiers - who still called themselves landsknechts, wore the same as everyone else. I think it was pride in the name, they were still mercenaries after all, or may be a sense of professionalism, perhaps even advertising - Hey! You want the best? Hire Landsknechts baby! In business since the 1470s!
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by sansovino on 11 Aug 2021, 15:44

Dear Steve,

you have mentioned many right points. Only the fashion changed more often than your are thinking.

From the 1550ties the spanish clothing becomes the fashion-trend for soldiers and civilians in Western and Central Europe. The Redbox ranges of spanish or english soldiers and seamen and also the Germania range of Renaissance are representive for new style in the second half of 16th century, which ended in most parts of Europe around 1625.
From these ranges you can use some figures too for the early TYW. This in-between style is also very useful for Spanish-Dutch Wars or the spanish-english-sea conflicts from 1550 till 1620.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by dombom on 30 Aug 2021, 06:27

The last update has been some time ago, but I think thats usual in our hobby :D
So, I dismissed the Landsknechte and decided to put some "Kürassier / Cuirassier" as heavy Cav units.
Will be completing them within next days, but the first two are already done:

dombom  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 30 Aug 2021, 09:05

The addition of a few mounted cuirassiers adds extra interest to this diorama dombom. You might want to have a couple of such figures on foot too, perhaps as representations of senior officers in three quarter armour?

I appreciate the confusions caused by the terms 'mercenary' and 'lansknecht', but the comments above regarding changes and transition in military clothing during the 1500s and through into the 1600s are a good summary of this change in fashion. Bear in mind that many troops who fought during the 30 years war were mercenaries, but in most cases these troops fought dressed and equipped much as others in the same army. The Swedish army of the 1630s had more mercenaries (Germans, Finns and Scots notably) than native Swedes.

The Osprey Men at Arms titles on the armies of Gustavus Adolphus and Imperial Armies of the 30 Years War are good references.

Posted by Peter on 30 Aug 2021, 09:11

Great addition to your diorama! :thumbup:

What is the manufacturer of the figures and the horses?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by dombom on 31 Aug 2021, 06:16

Yeah, you are right. I did a more detailed research about all the 30 yw time span as well and learned much about the mercenaries, the religious background, the interests of spain, french, germany etc. Quite a lot to read about :D
Ofc I did some previous research before I started the diorama, but I didn't dig too deep into such details as clothes etc.
And yeah, somehwat some half armoured officers or guys with shields as rondeleros would be a nice addition. there is still some space left.
dombom  Germany

Posted by dombom on 31 Aug 2021, 06:18

The manufacturer is "Germania figuren". They got plenty 30yw figures ;-)
dombom  Germany

Next page

Return to Work in Progress