Work in Progress

Creating a 1/72 Napoleonic wargaming army

Posted by Peter on 20 Apr 2023, 22:02

Zed1 wrote:Basework. Booooooring.

Have fun! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Zed1 on 23 May 2023, 20:15

Finally ready - my French army, completely painted, based and groundwork done. I'm so happy with it. :-D

Zed1  Germany

Posted by Zed1 on 23 May 2023, 20:18

It consists of one regiment of line infantry

one regiment of light infantry

the artillery battery

and the cavalry branch - two squads of chevaux legers lanciers, two squads of chevaux legers and three squads of cuirassiers

plus the commanding generals. :-)
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Zed1 on 23 May 2023, 20:22

The Prussian army is also ready, the last missing thing is the commanding general which must be based now. So there are more pictures to follow soon. Looks as if I can go and buy some rulebooks now I have two armies ready for battle! :-D :-D :-D
Zed1  Germany

Posted by MABO on 23 May 2023, 21:35

Congratulations. It is allways a good moment to finish something for your collection!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 23 May 2023, 22:27

Good job Sascha! I hope to see them at the FIGZ! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 May 2023, 06:09

Wonderful painting and visually impressive work.

Just a minor point but your Porte fire men should be on the right hand side of the piece looking down the tube to the muzzle.

The ‘live’ side was separated to prevent accidental discharges.

Incidentally the British did it the opposite way.

It will be nice to see them in action.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 24 May 2023, 13:03

Zed1 wrote:The Prussian army is also ready, the last missing thing is the commanding general which must be based now. So there are more pictures to follow soon. Looks as if I can go and buy some rulebooks now I have two armies ready for battle! :-D :-D :-D

The Perrys have a free set of Nap. rules I very much like.

And they're free!

Can I send you a link?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Zed1 on 24 May 2023, 15:56

:-D
Of course you can.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Zed1 on 24 May 2023, 15:57

C M Dodson wrote:Just a minor point but your Porte fire men should be on the right hand side of the piece looking down the tube to the muzzle.

Oops. Unfortunately it's impossible to change that now without destroying the base... :(
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Santi Pérez on 24 May 2023, 19:29

Very nice French army, Zed1. I like it a lot! :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Ochoin on 24 May 2023, 20:38

Zed1 wrote::-D
Of course you can.

Valour & Fortitude:
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/valour ... /vf-rules/

Personal taste is important in selecting rule sets but there are other factors.

We've gone from 'General d'Armee' which is an exceptional set of rules - very historical- to these which we like and because they produce an acceptable & QUICK game - 2 hours as opposed to 4+.

Tell us what you eventually settle on.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 25 May 2023, 08:08

A good-looking French army, small by Napoleonic standards but perfectly formed - nice painting and basing. Fine work!

I need to qualify my remark 'small'. This army is perfectly sized for a small-ish wargame, but with two regiments of infantry (which I think are three battalions each from the pictures) and with a good artillery and cavalry support, this army is something like a 'mini-corps' and is capable on the wargames table of undertaking most things. Perhaps the only thing missing in that respect is a company or two of engineers or sapeurs?

My point is simply that, with Napoleonic wargame armies, there is always that urge to add another regiment here and another battery there. It can get out of control...... :-D
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Zed1 on 26 May 2023, 21:51

@Minuteman: well - good point. The French have at least one sapper integrated in the command group. Whether I build up separate sapper companies, will surely depend on the ruleset that will finally be used. And yes, it's sort of a basic starter set. The Prussian counterpart consists of a line regiment, a Landwehr regiment, a foot artillery battery with 3 guns and a mixture of line and Landwehr lancers.

For the Prussians, I'm planning to upgrade the troop stocks with another Landwehr regiment, a regiment of guard infantry, Jager on company level and a wider range of cavalry - cuirassiers, dragoons and hussars.

In case of the French, I think that I will rather add auxiliaries from Napoleon's allies - Poland, Bavaria, Westphalia. That'll bring more colour onto the table. As Prussians and Russian fought together in many battles of 1813/14, I could also start to make a Russian army as well. I have enough figures for an infantry regiment, several squads of Hussars and artillery batteries.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 27 May 2023, 14:55

That's a fine looking French army you have there, Zed1.
Nicely painted and very well based. I'm looking forward to your Prussian army too.
Thanks for sharing,
Patrick
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by Kekso on 30 May 2023, 06:46

Damn, now I want to paint some French Cuirassiers :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 30 May 2023, 08:22

Zed1 wrote:
For the Prussians, I'm planning to upgrade the troop stocks with another Landwehr regiment, a regiment of guard infantry, Jager on company level and a wider range of cavalry - cuirassiers, dragoons and hussars.

In case of the French, I think that I will rather add auxiliaries from Napoleon's allies - Poland, Bavaria, Westphalia. That'll bring more colour onto the table. As Prussians and Russian fought together in many battles of 1813/14, I could also start to make a Russian army as well. I have enough figures for an infantry regiment, several squads of Hussars and artillery batteries.

It all sounds very interesting and I look forward to seeing these Napoleonic units when you have managed to create them. Keep up the good work!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 May 2023, 13:27

As i followed this extremely good topic,i well remembered when long ago i based up my French gun line at Waterloo. The figures were inserted into the base unit but not the guns. The reason being that i could change the guns according to their size and calibre. Wargaming hobbies plus rules are not in my comfit zone of expertise however hopefully being well able to replace guns upon a table top game makes some kind of sense? It is a fact some countries spell expertise with a z ! But as an author i often use both, however to convey a point i chose not to display the Z.

May peace and well-being be with you all. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 31 May 2023, 14:16

Beano Boy wrote: i based up my French gun line at Waterloo. The figures were inserted into the base unit but not the guns.

I wish I'd had the good sense to do this. You could also remove the gun and attach it to the limber when moving. Sadly, my guns are glued down.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 May 2023, 23:34

Thank you Donald for your good sense reply. :thumbup: ... An old passtime of thought and action can also be an up to date one for some,that is why we should all pass a little something along to help those who come after us. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress