Work in Progress

The Shire

Posted by Ben90 on 21 Aug 2021, 17:54

Looks great so far! Can´t wait to see it with foliage. Amazing work in an epic scale!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Peter on 22 Aug 2021, 21:28

Always curious about what you have done. And every time I'm surprised that you did some wonderfull things! Love the rocks from treebark (I did that to sometime long ago)! Great work Dykio! :thumbup:

PS: I think I saw one of the pieces of treebark moving! Be carefull! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2021, 16:05

Quite a lovely feeling to catch up with your work in progress, and it has been a while since my last look see visit on your up and coming project for all those large foot, little fellows to have an adventure or two upon. To enjoy them rather than those that are miss leading up the garden path to dangerous things. O', no that would never do to have frightful things as real up close and in your face adventures as they are most truly dangerous and utterly unwelcome things.
To set the game play in motion perhaps with a spin of a wooden wheel or even another at a stonework crossing might well lead you in the right direction or not. i guess that must be the unknown measure of a golden ring, an invisible factor of each drawn out game to play?

Anyway as my one good typing finger is spinning upon every letter in my fancy, i would simply like to say
:coffee: Well Done, you are doing rather well. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by dykio on 15 Nov 2021, 16:46

In J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy The Lord of the Rings, Old Man Willow is a malign tree-spirit of great age in Tom Bombadil's Old Forest, appearing physically as a large willow tree beside the River Withywindle, but spreading his influence throughout the forest. He is the first hostile character encountered by the Hobbits after they leave the Shire.

Ok. I do know that Old Man Willow was not in the shire but i always wanted to try to built a tree so...
i started by looking at the tutorial from imho the best tree maker i know mr. Cryns:
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18686

after looking at that i said well thats it. there is no way that it will look anything like that :(

but after a couple of beers i thought well who cares. Lets go for it.

So here's my version of Old Man Willow.

From garden wire i made a tree trunk

next i made a paste from glue sawdust and brown paint

and i just spread it on

then some sisal which i glued on with superglue.

then i waited a couple of weeks to get better from a nerveus breakdown and to get rid of the superglue and sisal from my fingers :-D

and then i glued on microflocks. This was even worse then the sisal :-D :-D

but in the end i looks like this.

Perfect ? no, not in any way but as Bob Ross would say:

“Anything we don't like, we'll turn it into a happy little tree or something; we don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents.”

Stay healty and laterrrrrrrr

Dykio
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by huib on 15 Nov 2021, 19:03

Well, your own scepsis nothwithstanding, it really looks like a very old sad willow tree. Well done Dykio!
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 16 Nov 2021, 22:29

I like the tree to! Great work Dykio! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 17 Nov 2021, 09:16

I was also sceptic, especially when I saw the kind of wire you were using (mine ended up on the barbecue to get rid of the plastic). But then I saw a little cake! Ah, no, it was the cup with the sawdust ... You really made Old man Willow! Good that old Tom is standing there too!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by C M Dodson on 17 Nov 2021, 09:34

Personally I think it is a good representation of a willow tree.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by dykio on 21 Jan 2022, 21:28

Hi everybody, time for another update on this epic (for me :-D ) project.

one of the scenes i realy like is the chase and the escape of frodo and friends at bucklebury ferry. And although there is no "other side of the river" in my dio i decided to just put one in it anyway. And what better place then in front of the green dragon.

First there was offcourse some meassurement needed to find out the best place to build it

then it was back to the drawing table

and so the work started

and after 3 weeks

now this would take weeks and weeks and weeks so i decided to hire some guys to help finish the job

and so things started to go a lot faster

ofcourse there also needed to be done some hard work at the riverside

this was also starded but again after a couple of weeks extra hands were realy needed

and so the team started chopping away

Then construction started

in the meanwhile some safety inspections were made

and then it al went to the waterfront

after the dry fitting....... :-D it all went back to the work station to get painted

after basing drybrushing etcetera it went back to the river again (wel no water yet but it will get there...)

and so there it is

until we meet again keep safe :yeah:
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by MABO on 22 Jan 2022, 08:45

Cool story and I like "Infra at work!"
MABO  Europe

Posted by PaulRPetri on 22 Jan 2022, 19:18

That was wonderful!! Thank you!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 24 Jan 2022, 19:23

Great story and final result! Love it! :thumbup:

MABO wrote:Cool story and I like "Infra at work!"

You see they always need us! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 25 Jan 2022, 11:29

And you thought you went into retirement! You just ended up doing work in the Shire! But it looks very good and I hope dykio gives you a decent paycheck when your work is over! And have a look-out for an old man with a white beard and a scruffy companion! Stay away from them at all costs!!!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Peter on 25 Jan 2022, 18:00

Susofrick wrote:And you thought you went into retirement! You just ended up doing work in the Shire! But it looks very good and I hope dykio gives you a decent paycheck when your work is over! And have a look-out for an old man with a white beard and a scruffy companion! Stay away from them at all costs!!!

:mrgreen:

I saw that old man with a white beard. We agreed that he will come back at the end of the year. December 25th! :merrychristmas:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 26 Jan 2022, 10:43

Oh no! Not that old man! That old man I have hired for this year's Xmas-card!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by dykio on 10 Feb 2024, 16:10

Hi guys, here is the next update already. After just a litte bit more then 2 years. :-D
The main reason of the long wait was the fact that the grass needed some time to grow .....?.... :-D

But no more excuses. Pictures thats what it is al about so here they come :yeah:

The first hobbit hole that i wanted to finish was offcourse Bag End. When i left this post it looked something like this

Not realy hobbit-tish.... i bought some gras seed and after i sown it in i waited....and waited....(for almost 2 years) and then bought myself a grass applicator. :-D

this does need some practising but it does make it look nice and gras-sy

Now one of the guys helping me with this project (you see him on the next picture) complaint about not having something to rest on while watching the grass grow. So a small bench was made with the help of some staples...

Cosy and a wonderful place to enjoy the sun

but the the local council came by to tell me that this wasnt realy save and it needed to have a fence. :(

luckely i know a couple of guys who can fix that in a minute...

And so this nice and cosy place was (almost) done. I must confess that looking at these pictures i sometimes realy dream of having such a quit place like that....

Till the next post (in 2026 i think :-D )

Laterrrr
dykio  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 10 Feb 2024, 22:53

Looking so nice Dykio! :thumbup:

And you have some good engineers (like me) to help you! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by sberry on 12 Feb 2024, 15:59

Great project!
Everything looks so beautiful and peaceful, the world needs more places like that!
sberry  Germany

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 13 Feb 2024, 15:59

The figures are charming and the brickwork and wooden door are fantastic, you are right, it's very cozy!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress