Work in Progress

Belisarius

Posted by C M Dodson on 16 Dec 2021, 11:58

Interesting research and lovely modelling.

The shields look fantastic.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by huib on 16 Dec 2021, 20:45

Great work. Especially the heavy cavalry and infantry is beautiful in shining armour and colourful shields.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Chariobaude on 17 Dec 2021, 22:29

Oh boy... it's coming !

first attempt from Linear for imperator Justinian :

clearly from this source (church in Ravenna depicting the Justinian Court)
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Chariobaude on 18 Dec 2021, 10:09

second attempt
Chariobaude  France

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 22 Dec 2021, 00:14

Chariobaude wrote:thanks Owen. I was in contact with the guys from Linear, who are moreover particularly nice and accessible (they also think of creating a forum on their site, which is excellent news): their three sets should be ready in the summer! Two years after the announcement, but we have never been so close to their release!
As for the expected enemies, it would seem that they are those of the Italian theater of operations, which is perfect for me. Can't wait to see more!

It's been a very, very long time coming. Their new Imperator Justinian miniature master is great, it's a very exciting time for the Byzantines! I'm glad you're so enthused about the upcoming releases!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Chariobaude on 25 Dec 2021, 21:33

We are lucky enough to have a nice christmas preview for the mini set Justinian : after the emperor, a nice priest .
Surely a bishop, very usefull !
Chariobaude  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Chariobaude on 14 Jan 2022, 17:31

The first set of linear-A on Justinian timeframe is finished (at least the masters !), with Theodora.
I'm planning to order more than one set of this wonderfull creation...

Chariobaude  France

Posted by PhilC on 14 Jan 2022, 19:14

Chariobaude wrote:I'm planning to order more than one set of this wonderfull creation...

More than one ? In order to achieve a conversion such as this ?

:mrgreen:
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Graeme on 15 Jan 2022, 03:25

I love personality figures and I do like the look of that figure of Mrs Schliemann. :mrgreen:

Perhaps she could also pass for Hecuba?
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Chariobaude on 17 Jan 2022, 22:20

Yes, this set is truely fantastic because you can use it for so many cases : Diocletianus and his comrades right Phil, but even for Ostrogothic aristocrats, and naturally Byzantium for at least three centuries !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Chariobaude on 19 Feb 2022, 21:46

oh boy... i know i have to wait until this summer, and painting them will take weeks or months, but...
those justinian romans are epic !!!!!!!
Chariobaude  France

Posted by MABO on 20 Feb 2022, 06:44

You're right!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Chariobaude on 20 Feb 2022, 22:56

a third preview, an another draconarius, after two signifer : we're not going to run out of Byzantine standard bearers for our armies!
by the way, those marvels are perfectly suitable for late roman army.... :yeah: :mrgreen:

Chariobaude  France

Posted by Cryns on 01 Mar 2022, 16:34

Hello Chariobaude, this has become a very nice thread with good research, great pictures and lots of nice figurines and buildings.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 05 Mar 2022, 17:45

They're great masters, I hope you're over the moon that we're getting new Byzantines / late Romans soon!

Posted by Chariobaude on 21 Aug 2023, 14:33

After maybe...three years, i've finally received the byzantine from linear !!!!
Well, it is worthing the wait i must say... i'm so glad a manufacturer decided to cover that timeframe !

But now i'm quite undecided... the policy of linear is to depict quite widely the type of armies and court followers, wich is great. But before painting and basing my troops i want to know what linear is going to produce, and unfortunately it is not clear :
for sure rioters and nobles form the nika riot set (the first will join bases of furious mob, the second will be based separately like all the court followers already produced), but maybe some of bucellarius to protect the latter, so i should wait to join to the one i've already received.
then a mysterious " Enemies of Eastern Roman Empire 6th Century AD Set 1" scheduled for 2023-24, but since the cycle hasn't started yet i think 2025 is more realstic date. But what kind of ennemies ? Eastern front ? Vandals ? Goths ? Mauri ? Soldiers fo the (numerous) mutinees in Africa ? And what about the second set ?
then, the set of byzantium infantry is labelled set 1, so maybe we can expect a second, on cavalry like wrote Owen ? But what kind ? and i just can't imagine when this set will be available...

many questions without answers, i just don't know what to do !
Chariobaude  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 22 Aug 2023, 02:28

Chariobaude wrote:After maybe...three years, i've finally received the byzantine from linear !!!!
Well, it is worthing the wait i must say... i'm so glad a manufacturer decided to cover that timeframe !

But now i'm quite undecided... the policy of linear is to depict quite widely the type of armies and court followers, wich is great. But before painting and basing my troops i want to know what linear is going to produce, and unfortunately it is not clear :
for sure rioters and nobles form the nika riot set (the first will join bases of furious mob, the second will be based separately like all the court followers already produced), but maybe some of bucellarius to protect the latter, so i should wait to join to the one i've already received.
then a mysterious " Enemies of Eastern Roman Empire 6th Century AD Set 1" scheduled for 2023-24, but since the cycle hasn't started yet i think 2025 is more realstic date. But what kind of ennemies ? Eastern front ? Vandals ? Goths ? Mauri ? Soldiers fo the (numerous) mutinees in Africa ? And what about the second set ?
then, the set of byzantium infantry is labelled set 1, so maybe we can expect a second, on cavalry like wrote Owen ? But what kind ? and i just can't imagine when this set will be available...

many questions without answers, i just don't know what to do !

Haha, I've actually been waiting, wondering when you would update this blog. You're the Byzantine guy in my head for this forum.

Yeah I have no real idea what they're going to make haha, but they did say they will eventually make cavalry (might be waiting for a few more years). Not knowing can be annoying for future planning, but at least you can get started making bits of units, you can make a few crossbowmen, a few infantry and kind of keep the units incomplete while waiting for the gaps to be filled, it's not ideal but it's what I would do. I think with the way they make sets, you won't ever get neat numbers from them to make a whole unit, I think of Linear-A sets as supplementary sets - to add new sculpts to units made of other companies' models.

Posted by Chariobaude on 02 Sep 2023, 09:20

Yes, you are right, i will start with archers, balistarrii, commands and heavy infantry bases.
I just read that Linear communicated that the "ennemies of est roman empire" will be ostrogoths, wich is quite goods news, at least for me : they can be used as roman faoderati or symmachoi too !
When i'm on a project like that, i'm always creating a scenario for using my troops once finished.
In this case (maybe helped par Belisarius Total War game without even thinking of it !), it will be the italian army, once italy conquered, wich will be rebelling, promoting the nephew of Narsès as Rex Italiae.
The army i've already done will be the rebells, and the one to make with linear figs will be the one of Belisarius trying to reunite the empire...
I should post what i've done with the court members soon, but for now i'm finishing a side project, once again roman, but on another timeframe : Varus wars, thanks to PhillC who influences me !! :D
Chariobaude  France

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress