Work in Progress

Carthago Cavalry

Posted by Bluefalchion on 11 Mar 2021, 18:37

sansovino is officially unleashed. Now he can create a set of any type of figures he wants. No longer limited to the output of the plastic soldier producing companies.

I love the subdued colors you have used. Tremendous stuff.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Cryns on 11 Mar 2021, 18:53

you can´t use to produce integral a whole man. It´s not like pewter.

Sansovino and Chris, you can, you can, without pouring any liquid. But its more work.

Try to make a mould in two bluestuff halves with fitting pins in one and fitting holes in the other halve.
Press the Green Stuff in both halves and press both halves together with force.
Open the mould immediately again.
The complete, full Green Stuff figurine sticks in one of both moulds now.
1 or 2 milimeters of soft 'flash' created by excessive Green Stuff is all over the mould surface now.
And your full figurine is 2 mm too 'thick'.
Scrape that flash away around the figurine with a sculpting tool.
Press both mould halves together again.
Open it again.
The excessive Green Stuff is reduced now to 1 mm flash. The figurine is only 1mm too fat now.
Scrape it away again.
Repeat it until no flash is left in the mould and the figurine has an acceptable shape.
Press both halves together again, wrap elastic rubbers around it so it stays put for some hours.
Open carefully when cured.
You have a full figurine now.

sansovino wrote:It´s quite difficult with items with very fine items like riffles or swords.

You are right in this, thats still the matter when using a two part mould, yes. It will not be fully perfect.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by sansovino on 11 Mar 2021, 18:55

Bluefalchion wrote:sansovino is officially unleashed. Now he can create a set of any type of figures he wants. No longer limited to the output of the plastic soldier producing companies.

It´s indeed possible but the work with Green Stuff needs much time - and sometimes the results of the moulds have some weaknesses/mistakes. The most relevant criteria for a good result is a strong pressure of the material in the mould. My tactic: a strong first pressure and 10-20 minutes later again a stronger pressure (by small items for example with the other end of a brush, that fills more dense the mould with less flaws).

For example, I have created for my medieval city project also groups of medieval jews with reproducing existing figures with many changes and adding Jew-hats. My intention is to present medieval life with all its contrasts which includes also other aspects like dirt and many power-hierarchies.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by sansovino on 11 Mar 2021, 19:00

Cryns wrote:
Sansovino and Chris, you can, you can, without pouring any liquid. But its more work.

Try to make a mould in two bluestuff halves with fitting pins in one and fitting holes in the other halve.
Press the Green Stuff in both halves and press both halves together with force.....

Many thanks, Mr Cryns, I can still learn from you .... ;–))

i will try your proposed method which I didn´t already done.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by sansovino on 11 Mar 2021, 19:09

.. a last information:
Green Stuff is quite sticky and soft during the first 20 minutes, which makes sometimes the work with it annoying. So it happens often during these minutes that a part of the material sticks more on your fingers than in the mould or on the miniature.

So it´s better for sculptural works with many fine details to make some breaks and to wait till the material becomes hard for adding the next step of finer details.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 11 Mar 2021, 20:23

Dear sansovino, I think the above thread also fits at Tutorials.
I don't know if of any use, but Green stuff can be liquified with enamel thinner.
I use Green stuff from "The army painter". :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Cryns on 11 Mar 2021, 20:33

My wondereful friend Kostis always has additional knowledge of materials, chemistry and new ways how to use products.

You are still surprising me with that, Kostis :-D !!! I will try to make Green Stuff fluid by using thinner and see what are its possibilities.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Bluefalchion on 11 Mar 2021, 20:54

In this thread I am Merry or Pippen laying by the fire and listening with awe and imperfect understanding as Gandalf, Elrond, and the Council of the Wise elaborate the great mysteries of magic, history, lore, and the dreamstuff that makes up the universe itself!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress