Work in Progress

S-Model 1/72 Hotchkiss H35 early version

Posted by huib on 05 Dec 2020, 16:27

Wiking wrote:Do we will see the model on a base with some French soldiers ?

Like this?

More pics in the Gallery
huib  Netherlands

Posted by huib on 11 Dec 2020, 13:15

S-Model 1/72 Hotchkiss H38/H39 light tank

In addition to the Hotchkiss H35, I also bought a kit of its successor, the Hotchkiss H39 light tank from S-Model.

This is what the box looks like. You have to study it carefully to discover the differences with the H35.

The main sprue, containing al the parts for the tank. And also in this box there are two models.

And a small extra sprue for the optional unditching tail.

The same quite useless PE as in the H35 kit. (I only use the wire cutters)

And the same decal sheet in its original plastic bag.

To create more possibiklities I ordered an extra decal sheet for the H35 and H39.

Look, that's much more versatile than the kit decals, including unit signs, tactical numbers and vehicle registration numbers.

Now, with all this material available, what to build? Because it offers a lot of possibilities for different variants from different units.

I decided build a Hotchkiss H39, with the higher engine deck and unditching tail, but with the short barreled gun of the earlier versions, in the quite sobre green and brown livery of the French infantry.

And I decided to do a kit bash between the H35 and H39 kits to produce a late version H35 with the long gun and the unditching tail. For this I need the hull from the H35, but the tracks, wheel, turret and unditching tail of the H39. It will be decorated in a colourful livery of the French cavalry.

Another picture of the H35 late version with long gun and unditching tail.

Now let's build!
huib  Netherlands

Posted by huib on 12 Dec 2020, 13:28

Building

Things go quickly with these little kits.

Turret parts, including the long barrelled gun.

Some detail added to the inside of the turret hatch.

Turrets painted from the inside, assembled and detail added, mainly in the form of lifting hooks to both turret and cupola.

Hulls assembled and extra detail added. These picture show the differences. Left the H35, right the H39. Different models of air intakes on the glacis and another position of the exhaust.

H39 left and H35 right. Notice the different heights of the enfgine decks and the different air vents.

Unditching tails assembled. On each of them a scatchbuilt tub to transport the standard tarp. Made from beer tin aluminium and iron wire.

Tracks and wheels. These later versions of the Hotchkiss have a closed disc as an idler wheel, in contrast to the spoked version of the early model. It is easy working for the modeler, these one piece tracks and wheels. But of course you have to compromise on the looks of the guiding theeth and it took quite some work to sand of the moulding seam from the tracks.

Ready for paint! Left the H39, right the H35.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 12 Dec 2020, 17:38

I read that there is some palm involved. Be carefull with that! :thumbup:

And this is a really good show. Two models for the price of one! ;-) :-D :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by huib on 14 Dec 2020, 16:09

Yes, my hobby is necessarily leading to alcohol abuse. Well, as long as it improves my models.... :mrgreen:

Painting

On with the colours:

First both tanks received their base colour: dark bronze green (Humbrol 116).
But from now on these two tanks will turn out very different.

This is the H39 in the unconspicious camouflage scheme of the French infantry. The brown shows too reddish on the picture, but is more chocolate brown in reality.

I've gone wild on the H35, using a four colour pattern on the hull and a three colour pattern on the turret. It looks a bit unorganized in this stage.....

But after lining all the colourpatches using a thin black marker, the idea becomes more clear.

Now on to the decals.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 14 Dec 2020, 17:55

Nice! It looks real nice! :thumbup:

And Palm gives you a steady hand! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by GumSmith on 14 Dec 2020, 19:17

Hi huib,
again real good job, like that second camo a lot.

cheers Oke
GumSmith  Germany

Posted by huib on 16 Dec 2020, 14:41

Thanks, Peter and Oke!

Decals
After a layer of gloss varnish, it's decal time. The decal sheet from the kit, combined with the aftermarket decals create a wealth of possibilities. I created two fictional tanks, but heaviliy inspired on real examples from pictures.

The H39 received turret number 93, and is part of a 1940 French infantry division.

The H35 late version, became a command tank of the 4th Regiment Curassiers, 1st Division Légère Mechanisee.

And now on with some weathering.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 16 Dec 2020, 19:35

Very good work on that tank. I like the appearance of French WW2 tanks very much. The camo schemes look very good. Very good vehicles at their time but used with the wrong tactics….
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by huib on 17 Dec 2020, 18:26

Thank you, T.!

Weathering
On with some weathering. I will deal with the weathering one tank at a time, as I have a slightly different approach for both tanks, due to the different camouflagecolours.

This is the starting point with the H35. The colours are too bright and too constrastful.

That's why I start applying a heavy filter of diluted ochre coloured oil paint. This draws the colours closer together, fades the colours and gives a nice dusty appearance, suitable for the sunny weather in may and june 1940. (Ideal campaining weather!)

After having sealed the filter with an acrylic gloss varnish, a pointwash of diluted dark brown oil painted was applied to create more visual depth on the model. The airvents on the engine deck were painted using black gouache.

Next step was drybrushing the model, using a light sand colour, and doing some chipping, using a graphite pencil. As a finishing touch some mud was applied on and around the wheels and tracks, using different colours of enamel paint. Everything is sealed with a matt varnish.

So far for the H35, now to continue with the H39:

As the H39 has a much darker camouflage scheme, I used a slightly different approach. I started with applying rain streaks by fading out dots of white oil paint top down using a dry brush.

After a gloss varnish a dark brown point wash is applied.

And black gouache in the air vents.

Next step is a drybrush using a light olive green colour, and do some 3D chipping using this olive green and dark gray. I choose this method so the chips will stand out a bit better on the dark base colours. And of course some mud was added.

A picture of the muddied wheels and tracks, that, due to mud and dust, all look more or less the same.

Next step will be the last: final construction and adding some accessoiries.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Wiking on 17 Dec 2020, 18:50

Your output of Hotchkiss start to give the German high command some serious headache !
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Peter on 18 Dec 2020, 23:24

So far, so good Huib! I like it all the way! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by huib on 03 Jan 2021, 14:14

Thank you, Wiking and Peter!

Final construction and last details

The last steps for the little Hotchkiss tanks.

Tracks and wheels glued in position. I used some tools to line up the tracks during the curing of the glue.

Meanwhile some tarps were made from paper tissue and sewing thread.

The paper was moistened using diluted white glue, rolled up and tightened with a piece of thread.

Painted and weathered.

Also two towing chains and an antenna were prepared.

The tarps attached to the trench crossing tail and fastened with belts from modellers tape.

The trench crossing tails attached to the tanks. As last parts the stabilising rods were added, still unpainted.

The rods are painted and weathered, and the chains attached.

The same with the H39.

The vulnerable antenna as a finishing touch.

Finished! Final pictures soon.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 03 Jan 2021, 20:28

They look fantastic Huib! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by huib on 05 Jan 2021, 18:15

Thanks Peter!

Final Pictures:

More pics in the Gallery
huib  Netherlands

Previous page