Work in Progress

Zulu War Project

Posted by PaulRPetri on 25 Aug 2020, 16:51

I have been interested in doing a Zulu War project since I began formal wargaming in 1978. Unfortunatly it has taken 40 plus years to get it started. Anyway here is my start of my effort. I present the Zulus.
I will be posting some British forces next.
Thanks for having a look
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by PaulRPetri on 25 Aug 2020, 17:04

Now up are my small British Forces. I have many more figures to paint to finish both sides of this project.
[url=https://imgur.com/v8zLrFO]Image[/url
Thanks for having a look. I am actually using this to keep me motivated as I have stopped painting Zulu figures and have swithced to my Lord Of The Rings project. This bouncing around is always my undoing.

Posted by kinjack on 25 Aug 2020, 19:04

They look stunning, the washes are really effective. Actually the first thing that caught my eye were the cliffs behind the figures, did you make them yourself or are they store bought?
kinjack  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 25 Aug 2020, 20:49

Paul, this is excellent work. I'm frankly envious.

I'm interested to know what rules you'll use.

As you know, the problem with gaming the AZW is to find a medium between games that have British fire power massacre the Zulus & games that have huge Zulu numbers overwhelm the British. IMO, Colonial gaming is the most challenging to find or devise effective scenarios.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 25 Aug 2020, 21:38

Thanks for the compliments. Kinjack I made the hills in the background. When I retired 4 years ago I watched tons of YouTube vieos on terrain building and the hills are one of the results.The Zulus i just washed the unfinished plastic, which is brown, and then painted the rest. For the wash I used Pledge floor wax, with Future, with black inks added.

Donald for rules I am going to try Field of Battle which is part of the Piquet family of games. I still need to paint some more zulus before I test it out.

Posted by Santi Pérez on 25 Aug 2020, 23:11

Perfect combination of the classic Esci/Italeri figures with the newest ones from Hät, PaulRPetri. They are fantastically painted and based. :love:

Congratulations. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 25 Aug 2020, 23:19

kinjack wrote: Actually the first thing that caught my eye were the cliffs behind the figures

Haha! my eyes went there immediately as well. They're gorgeous and a very natural reddish color I must say, typical of rock in the Natal. The figures too are splendid, the Zulus have just the right amount of sheen to their skin giving them again a very natural look. I hope you have some great games, these figures deserve to be shown, admired and enjoyed.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 26 Aug 2020, 02:28

I can definitely see the use of washes in your minis, your colours have an inky, faded look which looks great on the battlefield. I'm thinking how some painters prefer crisp, neat lines and some like it more washed out and how both approaches can work in their own way.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Ochoin on 26 Aug 2020, 08:21

PaulRPetri wrote:
Donald for rules I am going to try Field of Battle which is part of the Piquet family of games. I still need to paint some more zulus before I test it out.

Paul, as you probably know by now, you can never have too many Zulus.

But, to get you to the gaming table, you can re-cycle.
As I'm sure you know, destroyed Zulu units can be put back on the table to inflate their numbers to something like that needed to beat modern firepower.

At any rate, I am going to be very keen to see battle photos from you in the fullness of time.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Peter on 26 Aug 2020, 17:50

PaulRPetri wrote:I still need to paint some more zulus before I test it out.

A couple of thousend zulus will do! :mrgreen:

All ways great to see some nice painted colonial figures. Where does the limber come from?

Great paintjob done! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PaulRPetri on 26 Aug 2020, 18:19

Thank you for the compliment Peter. I have the zulu figures already just need to find the will to paint them all!

The limbers are Revell british Napoleonic limbers with the limber rider is from the Waterloo1815 British Sudan set and the fellow on the limber is the squating figure from the ESCI British Zulu War set.

Posted by Peter on 26 Aug 2020, 19:14

Thank you Paul for the information! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by zulu`s 1000`s of em on 26 Aug 2020, 20:41

Very good, well done, I will one day finish mine.
zulu`s 1000`s of em  United Kingdom

Posted by Fire at Will on 26 Aug 2020, 21:18

Can't remember how many memorable games I have had with my AZW forces, it all started with participation in a COW (Conference of Wargamers) game that went wrong, where we as Zulu's realised (as wargamers) that we had been set up. So someone suggested trying Duffers Drift instead. Again as Zulus we realised we didn't have a chance, but via the umpire arranged to keep the British players occupied while we played another game (An advantage of separate rooms). The British had fun, so my the next year's COW I produced a multi-player solo game for the AZW where the Zulu actions were all programmed. Generally in 75% of the games the British players win, and in 25% the Zulus. But in both cases the players have great fun. The rules used to be on Freewargamesrules.com but this site no longer exists. The SWA (Solo Wargamers Association) also published them, and David Barnes penned a couple of excellent sketches to go with them.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 27 Aug 2020, 23:15

Thank you for sharing these photos. Both armies look great. The NNC look particularly good. I look forward to seeing some more photos of them being used in a game.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by johnl5555 on 09 Oct 2020, 11:36

Wow, these look great! I have used Field of Battle for my AZW games too. We love the rules. We have played around 9 AZW games with them. They allow the natives a solid chance of winning if they are commanded appropriately. Can't sit back and exchange fire as the Zulu.

Thanks,

John
johnl5555  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PaulRPetri on 11 Oct 2020, 21:31

Here are few additions to my forces.

Posted by Peter on 11 Oct 2020, 21:56

Excellent addition to your troops! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 19 Oct 2020, 08:22

Wonderful armies!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Dec 2020, 02:38

It has been a few months since I last added some pictures to my Zulu War project but here comes a few. This shot is the Sarrissa MDF Storehouse for Rorke's Drift. Excellent model I really enjoyed building it.
Roof lifts off for indoor action!
Floor comes off so you can get to the ground level.!
Thanks for having a look!

Next page

Return to Work in Progress