Work in Progress

An Abandoned Project

Posted by sberry on 28 Jul 2020, 08:42

... with new hope?

Many years ago, I started a diorama project that will show a scene on the Nile in Roman times. But until today, this project is still essentially a large box with figures, animals, vegetation, some architecture pieces etc. that I want to use. My earliest notes and sketches date back to 2007, and around 2010 I have started to really build something for the diorama: Two items of buildings/terrain, that were intended to be placed in the background of the base.
One is a small temple:

The other is a sort of monumental statue carved into a rock formation, Abu Simbel style (you may also recognize to small figures from the old Atlantic Egyptian set, giving an idea of the size):

In reality, the two items are not as pale as they appear in these test shots, but I was never happy with them: The colors, the textures, the … everything. I just did not like the results and actually had the plan to discard them.
Then I had another idea: Instead of using them as pieces on the diorama plate, I can integrate them into the background photo. Thus they wouldn’t figure prominently in the scene, but the work I had invested wouldn’t be completely wasted either.
Using a landscape photo from Wikimedia Commons, the effect may be something like this:

(Background photo is South Sinai desert (c) user Mohamed3171979 (Mohamed Saeid), CC-BY-SA-4.0)

I think the temple looks quite good in this landscape setting, but the monumental statue is still not convincing, so probably I will use the temple only. What do you think?
sberry  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Jul 2020, 16:42

Nice salvage job. I say keep the temple in there. The eyes will be mainly focused on the figures and the primary action of the diorama.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 29 Jul 2020, 00:35

I personally think the huge statue is fine, and you're right, the photos make the stone look very pale and cold, would clash with the warm desert palette. I think it'd be a great background piece.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Santi Pérez on 01 Aug 2020, 17:45

Undoubtly you invested a great time and effort to build these two superb items, sberry. So, in my humble opinion, you should use them as the background for a diorama, with more or less figures in front of them. :love:

But this is only my opinion, of course. :lol:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by sberry on 02 Aug 2020, 16:10

Dear friends and hobby colleagues, thanks for your feedback!
So nobody said these things are totally hopeless, that’s nice, and I think I will use them in one way or the other.

Santi Pérez wrote:Undoubtly you invested a great time and effort to build these two superb items

That is exactly the point: I have no close emotional ties to these items, but I would hate the idea that so much of my precious time was wasted. So I will try to salvage them somehow.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Aug 2020, 07:01

Sell them.

They're very nice & I know I'd be interested in them so there must be a market.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 10 Aug 2020, 13:17

Two nice pieces of scenery, but I like the temple the most. Is it as big as the statue?

For that temple you will find for sure a new home, and if not you can contact me! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Work in Progress