Work in Progress

Late republican Romans vs Gauls

Posted by Edmund2019 on 14 Jun 2020, 01:54

Ave Benno!

Hi all, first of all I hope you and your families are all safe and well.

This is my Romans vs Gauls project. These figures were almost all painted 20 years ago, and were silently buried under my lead figures mountain. A couple of years ago I wanted to do a Warhammer Ancient Battles roman army, so I found them in a dusty box and started a restoration processes, finding all the shields, fixing broken parts and basing (and sometimes re-basing) them all.

The full force finished:

The yellow and red Equites were painted by my 5 years daughter, and I'm proud to include them in the army. :-D

Now with the celts. Here the main problem is that you need a lot of them when playing Ancient Wargames and I am now in the process of painting them. This doesn't stops me for playing even unpainted, but I would like to finish them at some point.

The full force (a mix of Italeri, Revell, Airfix, hat, esci)

The painted so far:

WIP

But now I am blocked. The amount of figures to paint is quite big, I dont have enough free time and I am continously "distracted" by other projects.

So, I'm thinking of some ultra quick painting, like just plain colours very basic or something like that, even though the celts armies are really colourful and non uniform.

Any thoughts/help here?
Edmund2019  Spain

Posted by Ben90 on 14 Jun 2020, 02:22

These are some very nicely painted figures. If you want to finish large amounts of figs in a short time, you should try some washes over the basic paintjob. And post some close-up pics, please... I want to see these nice figures a bit better :-D :yeah:
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 14 Jun 2020, 03:42

Agreed on the washes, they don't call it liquid talent for nothing.

Also, when you get older you definitely have far less time to do anything. I get all my reading done on the bus to and from work, a lot of 'me' time goes out the window. I personally just resign myself to doubling the time span on projects I want to finish.

Also, seconded on closeups please!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by carlosfaro on 14 Jun 2020, 09:31

Definetely washes ist the first choice, I use them also for making Armies in a speedy way

You could also try the Famous "Quickshade" product from Army Painter company..
It is a pigmeneted varnish, supposed to give a decent general shading effect after vaste applying on the figures..

I never used It (I am scared of a Mess) But I Saw a lot of interesting results everywhere....
carlosfaro  

Posted by sberry on 14 Jun 2020, 10:00

I really like those figures. A closer look would be welcome, indeed, but from what I have seen so far, I think the paintjob is very well done.

OwenChpw wrote:Also, when you get older you definitely have far less time to do anything. I get all my reading done on the bus to and from work, a lot of 'me' time goes out the window. I personally just resign myself to doubling the time span on projects I want to finish.

Oh yes, the problem of missing time, probably well known to everybody in our hobby. When I started around 20 years ago, I had big projects with hundreds or thousands of figures in mind. I had to become a great deal more realistic over time ....
sberry  Germany

Posted by Edmund2019 on 16 Jun 2020, 01:28

Hi, I'm glad you like them. :)

It was my first time uploading images in the Forum so I didn't realize the size of the pics was small. I am trying to edit the post to change them for bigger ones, but it seems I can't.

Thanks for the wash suggestions. I used washes a couple of times and they darkened the figs very much (and left a dirty finish), so I had to apply a highlight over it. It seemed to me an tiring extra step: instead "basecoat+basic paint+highlight" I had "basecoat+basic paint+wash+highlight" and in the end I decided not washing and just go as usual.

But maybe I was not doing it correctly and the wash needed more water to thin or something. Maybe it is time to experiment a little bit with them, as Celts could be done with a thin brown wash. I will try to do a test.

Yes, the Quickshade could work. I will check it although I'm scared of a mess too! :-D

I will try to do some close ups this week. Meanwhile I put again the pics bigger. This is the maximum size the forum seems to let the pictures be.

Edmund2019  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 17 Jun 2020, 13:23

Amazing paintwork on those fantastic Italeri Roman soldiers, Edmund2019. Congratulations. :love:

Edmund2019 wrote:...The yellow and red Equites were painted by my 5 years daughter, and I'm proud to include them in the army. :-D ...

You do very well trying to motivate your daughter from early age to become a miniature fan and figures painter. I also tried it with mine, but now she's almost 20 and I feel it was a lost battle. :(

Best regards. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Rich W on 18 Jun 2020, 23:34

These are looking good! Like others here, I'd recommend trying the Army Painter Quick Shade range.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Andrey on 19 Jun 2020, 11:45

The Legionnaires look good! :yeah: !
Andrey  Russia

Posted by C M Dodson on 19 Jun 2020, 14:39

Very nice work indeed.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 19 Jun 2020, 19:57

Damn nice looking figures Edmund. I keep discovering just how many talented painters we have in this forum. Well done sire, well done.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Edmund2019 on 18 Sep 2020, 23:18

Hello there,

This is an update ot the progress. Currently painting Airfix Britons, very near to finish of painting the box.

First some roman close ups:

WIP

Britons

Ancient Spanish

Gauls

Ancient Germans

Don't mess with the barbarians

Cavalry

Hope you like them!
Edmund2019  Spain

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 19 Sep 2020, 06:13

I do. I do like them. The Spanish shield freehand is great, were they the traditional patterns?
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Peter on 20 Sep 2020, 22:10

Yep I like them! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Edmund2019 on 25 Sep 2020, 22:57

Thanks for the feedback!

The spanish shields are made up, but inspired in historical patterns. :)
Edmund2019  Spain

Return to Work in Progress