Work in Progress

Spring Offensive | WW1 Trench Assault

Posted by huib on 27 Jan 2021, 11:29

Great work on the barbed wire on this small scale. It looks very convincing. The way it is applied is in a cattle fence style. WW1 barbed wire obstacles were very dense and complicated. But I can imagine you are not very enthousiastic of making so much tiny barbed wire. ;-)

Which after bombardment ended up in one big mess of entangled wire.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Mart17 on 27 Jan 2021, 22:49

huib wrote:Great work on the barbed wire on this small scale. It looks very convincing. The way it is applied is in a cattle fence style. WW1 barbed wire obstacles were very dense and complicated. But I can imagine you are not very enthousiastic of making so much tiny barbed wire. ;-)

Yeah well the dio has just a small space so it wouldn't be really possible to do that. I tried to make or at least imitate more devasted battlefield. So after an army placed such wires and defences like on the pictures you provided, during years there were bombardments, tanks moving and whatever. So then it might be replaced by more temporary and simple solutions.

You know I wouldn't really expect to see such sophisticated barbed wire system in the midst of battle of Verdun (but who knows :) )

Some pictures as my inspirations:

And yeah, I'm probably not that very enthousiastic about making that many scaled barbed wires of the more complicated version, not from scratch for sure :D
Mart17  Europe

Posted by huib on 29 Jan 2021, 10:53

Mart17 wrote:I wouldn't really expect to see such sophisticated barbed wire system in the midst of battle of Verdun

No, of course, during battle it was all shot up. But it was usual for wiring parties to go out of the trenches every night to try and repair the wire obstacles. Of course they couldn't do the neat wirework illustrated in the handbooks. But still very thick and extensive wire obstacles were kept in place as good as possible.

But it's only a detail. I like your scene and diorama very much.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Mart17 on 30 Jan 2021, 00:17

I started painting figures. The color is a bit lighter for field-gray, but it's often recommended to use lighter color for smaller scales (because from bigger distance objects seem to have lighter colors). Also I want to try using oil paints for shading, so it'll eventually get darker.

Mart17  Europe

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress