Work in Progress

Plancenoit

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 03 Jun 2020, 15:37

Dear All, I've been working on the next stage of my Waterloo diorama, namely Plancenoit village. You can see more on my blog at: http://generalpicton.blogspot.com

Here are some images of the project so far:

The plan:

Based on Siborne and the cadastral maps:

And the modern evidence:

The church was rebuilt in the mid-19th Century, but the village retains its overall look:

Based on this image, we initially made a mistake with the church:

But this image shows the true look of the church:

The Duvalier farm just northwest of the church is typically Belgian and easily defended:

We initially modelled the farmhouse:

The shutters take their inspiration from this famous image:

Here is the church in relation to the Duvalier farm:

This is major piece of work and I am now cooperating with a group of enthusiasts. We have about 14,000 new troops to add to the 40,000 already available. The target is 100,000. Do let me know if you would like to participate!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by sberry on 03 Jun 2020, 15:50

A very impressive project! I really like the large amount of meticulous research that goes into this scene.
sberry  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 03 Jun 2020, 18:01

Excellent research in action again.

Plancenoit in 1815 has always been a bit of a puzzle from my investigations for my Waterloo re fight.

However, together with the redoubtable Mr Silbourne I feel that you have cracked the problem so to speak.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 03 Jun 2020, 20:43

Looks like a great project! What kind of units do you need painted up? I don't know if we can ship anything from the US to the EU now though. Where will the diorama be on display?
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 03 Jun 2020, 20:54

Dear Bessiere, many thanks for offering to help. If you would like to take part I can offer you a range of options. Presently, I have about 40,000 figures that I've already painted; another collector is helping with his 10,000. A friend in Australia is painting the four battalions of Hugh Halkett's brigade (400 men per battalion). Another is painting the Elbe Landwehr cavalry, another Prussian artillery. Two people are completing Prussian battalions. Someone has a French line battalion on the go and another a Guard battalion in greatcoats. Someone else is doing Bull's battery. Units are at two thirds strength. In all, we hope to reach 100,000 figures. There will be an interim display at the UK National Army Museum in June 2021 showing Hougoumont, La Haie Sainte, Papelotte, La Belle Alliance and Plancenoit. Later displays will join the dots. Postage is working pretty well so I don't think Covid is a problem. It would be great to involve you and if a unit of 400 is too much, fewer is possible.

Posted by Bessiere on 03 Jun 2020, 21:19

COme to think of it I bought a bunch of 1/72 Prussian plastics that I have no plans for and would gladly donate; revell infantry, waterloo 1815 hussars, 1815 death's head hussars plus a few more HaT sets. I can make a complete inventory if you need. Any Prussians I get around to doing will be Jena period anyway.. I'm afraid I'm a terribly slow painter so It doesn't sound like I would be of much assistance that way. Sorry I didn't mean to mislead you. It's taken me the better part of a year just to do 400.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 03 Jun 2020, 22:34

No problem, Bessiere, I sort of remember you saying something similar before, but any donations gratefully received! Let me know if you would like to give some unpainted figures a new home. I have several ex servicemen helping me out - they find it therapeutic.

Posted by marc zijp on 04 Jun 2020, 03:48

Captain Sibourne: all I hope is you will keep posting frequently with pictures and so on. A very interesting and ambitious project. And it seems you are well organized so that might be a guarantee for succes.
Thanks in advance and good luck all!
marc zijp  

Posted by Susofrick on 04 Jun 2020, 09:18

Wow! Not only great, but HUGE project! Will be great to follow!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 04 Jun 2020, 09:41

This is beautiful, I love the scale of the project and detail on the buildings. I hope to see more material!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 04 Jun 2020, 11:14

Many thanks all, much appreciated. Here are some Prussian infantry to populate it:

Posted by Emperor on 04 Jun 2020, 13:32

I love bigd dioramas...Can't wait to see the final result...
Emperor  

Posted by Andre on 04 Jun 2020, 20:19

Dear Bessiere,
I am very interested in your 1815 Prussians. i have committed myself to helping James with his Plancenoit battle and the overall Waterloo project, so i can certainly use any Prussian out there. My own collection will probably not reach further than about 2000 figures all arms and we need a lot more than that. I do have some small units of Jena Prussians and Saxons, all of them Hat, already painted. How about a trade? Cheers,
Andre
Andre  Netherlands

Posted by Kekso on 05 Jun 2020, 11:28

Captain Sibourne wrote:Here are some Prussian infantry

If that is some I wonder what is a lot in your vocabulary? :shock:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by MABO on 06 Jun 2020, 07:28

Kekso wrote:
If that is some I wonder what is a lot in your vocabulary? :shock:

:xd: :xd: :xd:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 28 Jun 2020, 20:23

The village is rapidly filling up with buildings and the ground works are taking shape. The base for the cobbled roads is PVA glue mixed with sand which sets as hard as concrete. On top, we will put another thin layer of PVA and then attach a very course sand to simulate cobbles.

Various non diorama things appear in the background including a mug, my daughter's doll's house and some house plants.

The buildings are not yet attached and will be 'dug in' in due course. 14 buildings done, about 30 to go!

In parallel we are working hard on Prussians, Young Guard and Old Guard. The next two sections will show the Lasnes Brook, with Prussian cavalry working round the southern flank

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 28 Jun 2020, 23:59

Truly great project, great to see it developing
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Bessiere on 29 Jun 2020, 09:36

Sorry I just ran across your message. Let me do an inventory then we can figure something out. Give me a few days, I have to dig through some boxes.

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 29 Jun 2020, 16:10

Dear Bessiere, many thanks, all help gratefully received! Thanks also to you, Owen.

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 15 Jul 2020, 20:34

Dear All,

We've been working on new buildings for the Plancenoit project which are shown in this series of photos. Each one is modelled on the evidence from the Siborne diorama. There will be many more to come!

The photos makes it look much flatter than for real - Siborne overcame this by exaggerating the relief but he was working at a smaller scale. None of the buildings are yet attached. There's a lot more work going in to the cobbled roads and landscape which do not yet pass master.

Thomas Mischak has kindly sent in the gravestones which are amazing and several walls - many thanks Thomas! My father is the master builder - pretty good for 81!

More stuff on my blog at: http://generalpicton.blogspot.com.

Hope you enjoy!

Next page

Return to Work in Progress