Work in Progress

Austrian Uhlan conversions from Zvezda Polish Lancers

Posted by Bessiere on 22 May 2020, 00:31

My first WIP to share with you folks so go easy. If you are familiar with the Polish lancers set you know they have braids all over their left shoulders, these had to be removed. The flounders had to be cut off and moved from the left to the right side of the czapka. Since I didn't want their pennants attached to the czapka I had to cut off the plumes of three of the riders, clean up the pennant to which it was attached and add a new plume. I then cut the lance and turned it so it would flow naturally behind the rider.

I know the carbines are carried on the right but being a part of the horse that was more carving than I wanted to do. Nothing too radical but this was only my second attempt at any kind of conversions. I had started to make Austrian Uhlans from the old ESCI set but that required green stuff work far beyond my meager abilities. Image ImageImage

I have to admit to spending way too much time on these and still have a bit to go. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir when you have committed to a project only to find it far more involved than you initially thought.

Here's a link to the PSR page of the Polish Lancers: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1717
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bessiere on 22 May 2020, 01:57

I forgot this fellow Image

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 22 May 2020, 02:59

Very neat, very sharp, very effective conversions. I like the black line detailing on the saddles, belts and decorations on the hats. Hard to see the lances though.

Green work stuff is annoying, when I sculpt I often have to go back and add more layers over the course of several days to fill in gaps and add volume, takes a bit of time, but end results are better.

I've got better at predicting how long projects take now, being realistic around real life, work, friends getting in the way and the drive to just finish. But the way I see it, once you have an end result, it's more rewarding to really commit to something and we're in the hobby for the process as well. There's no rush (unless you have a tournament or something,) might as well take your time and enjoy your hobby, otherwise what's the point?
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Bessiere on 22 May 2020, 03:55

Thanks Owen, I wrestle a lot with the black lining issue, knowing how far to go with it and where to use it. I started painting in realism over 40 years ago so adding thick lines goes against my instincts. But when you scale your view out it allows for each color to stand out better and adds a nice overall ambience of it's own. So I guess I'm trying to figure out where that line is and without taking photos it gets hard to judge. The camera brings out things we somehow miss in person.

Posted by Wiking on 22 May 2020, 04:26

Nice paintet.
The Nappy timelin is realy nice colorfull of the uniforms.

Only the trumpeter need a drill in his trumpet. To sound great for the attack.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 22 May 2020, 08:53

Hello Mr B.

These look fabulous.

Nice carving and brilliant painting.

I was thinking of chopping up Hat Brunswick lancers for Austrians but that’s another project and Der Feldmarschall would explode if I were to look into it further.

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 22 May 2020, 09:18

Very nice work! Wiking wants some music here, but I think a black dot is enough most of the time. If I play it's BIG black dot!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Egbert on 22 May 2020, 09:39

Very nice idea … :drool:
Great implemented by you with an exquisite painting! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Egbert  Germany

Posted by Bessiere on 22 May 2020, 21:05

Thanks everyone for your kind comments as I value them for the depth of experience represented. These were rushed pictures taken with the latest model Iphone which does better than my old digital camera, pretty amazing what it can do. I'll get some pics of the guys in the back next time my son comes by with his fancy phone.

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 23 May 2020, 22:41

Bessiere wrote:Thanks Owen, I wrestle a lot with the black lining issue, knowing how far to go with it and where to use it. I started painting in realism over 40 years ago so adding thick lines goes against my instincts. But when you scale your view out it allows for each color to stand out better and adds a nice overall ambience of it's own. So I guess I'm trying to figure out where that line is and without taking photos it gets hard to judge. The camera brings out things we somehow miss in person.

Yeah, I think about it too. Sometimes when I'm basecoating I leave black gaps, just because it leaves a clear outline which makes details 'pop,' and there is the dilemma of do you go hyperrealistic or do you styilise? I personally go for a blend of both - thin the black lines but leave a bit in. Plus, in between folds of clothing and the ends of hems and shirts there is often shadow, so it does make sense.

Gamesworkshop (oh god, it's an abusive relationship with them at this point, especially with yesterday's price hike) are one of the poster boys of styilised hard highlights and that's where I cut my teeth in mini-painting and I think the end result really pops on the battlefield, but it's your hobby, you choose where and how hard you compromise.

Re camera: painting in 1/72 scale - sometimes it's hard to see little bits you leave out, especially in faces. When I'm working on a mini, I take WIP photos for self reference, lets me see micro dots that look fine in person and awful when blown up.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Bessiere on 24 May 2020, 01:44

OwenChpw wrote:
Re camera: painting in 1/72 scale - sometimes it's hard to see little bits you leave out, especially in faces. When I'm working on a mini, I take WIP photos for self reference, lets me see micro dots that look fine in person and awful when blown up.

You nailed it there. After seeing the pictures it really took the wind out of my sails. So many things I was satisfied with suddenly were no longer acceptable. Beyond a point continual reworking becomes counterproductive and adds needless frustration. It comes down to a matter of what I'm willing to let go which is made easier when you have a few thousand more figures lined up for painting.

Posted by Bluefalchion on 24 May 2020, 04:25

Bessiere wrote:
You nailed it there. After seeing the pictures it really took the wind out of my sails. So many things I was satisfied with suddenly were no longer acceptable. Beyond a point continual reworking becomes counterproductive and adds needless frustration. It comes down to a matter of what I'm willing to let go which is made easier when you have a few thousand more figures lined up for painting.

Your figures look excellent in the photos, to me. But I have certainly encountered that same issue. Taking a really good picture of a painted figure, one that displays its strengths and de-emphasizes its flaws, is an art in and of itself.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 24 May 2020, 07:02

You are all right concerning the truth of photos made of painted figs. But I think in the end no one looks on the figures with a magnifier. If you are able to paint to pass any microskop-test then you are gifted but if not, paint until you are satisfied.

I really like your conversions and the Austrian Uhlans are a dashing unit, you represented very well here.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 24 May 2020, 22:12

Superb paintwork on these fantastic Zvezda figures, Bessiere. :notworthy:

My best congratulations. :yeah:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Kekso on 25 May 2020, 19:54

I like it very much... pity that I don't have courage for such conversions
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Work in Progress