Work in Progress

[Basic Impetus Army] Ancient British Celts - In woad clad

Posted by OwenChpw on 04 Sep 2020, 01:26

Santi Pérez wrote:Wow, OwenChpw, you have a huge and very well painted Celtic army, with a great mix of figures from different manufacturers. :drool:

They are a pleasure for the sight. :thumbup:

Santi.

Thank you very much Santi. My goal (and it's looking very achievable now) is to have every model in the army be unique, including the horses. To do that I had to source Celts from all kinds of figure-makers, but luckily Celts are common topics and converting does the trick when I have limited options.

Since the Celts are tribal, rather than uniform like the Romans, I thought it'd be important to make each figure their own character, with their own personality in what they wear and carry, based on what they could afford. When I finally make Romans, they'll be far more boring, I assure you. :mrgreen:

Peter wrote:I agree! :thumbup:

Are the shields handpainted or are they decals?

Funny you should ask because while they are handpainted (yes, it took ages) I copied the designs from Vitrix decals, which is where I got the idea for the 'ridge' design with the warrior on the most-right, and the checked border for the leader.

Freehand is rewarding for me but it took years, since i started painting in 3rd grade, to get the trick of it and I still make mistakes with almost every mini....

Beano Boy wrote:To paint and present figures along with communication skills,
can become an awfully big adventure. Well Done. BB

Haha, thanks man! I did Media and Comms in university so at least i'm putting my degree to use. I felt I had to make a tutorial because I was looking for some in 2011 when I needed it, didn't find any, and in 2020 I had to rectify the gap for any other Celtic-figure-makers out there. It's all just a lot of fun.

PaulRPetri wrote:What a beautiful army!! The basing for the cavalry was outstanding!!! Really original as heck I love it.

I think with big unit bases you can tell a story - simple as it is with a cavalry charge- and I think some units are better for it than others. I have ideas of a Spartacus rebellion army, with civilians dotting market place bases as the gladiators beat a fighting retreat. I'm sure I'll get to it within the decade...
OwenChpw  Australia

Posted by OwenChpw on 07 Sep 2020, 13:13

Alright fellas, clocking in at a solid 16 minutes after around three months of compiled film coverage, here's my tutorial guide on making scary painted horse people:

And here's the army so far in it's multi-colour glory:

OwenChpw  Australia

Posted by Peter on 07 Sep 2020, 20:14

I've seen Gulliver! ;-)

Just joking! I like the figures but the grass is a bit high! :-D :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by carlosfaro on 11 Sep 2020, 10:45

Owen great Wild celts!! You matched them properly
carlosfaro  

Posted by Edmund2019 on 27 Sep 2020, 14:08

Amazing job here. The square patterns on the clothes are really really good.

I like very much the background research, making units unique with their own reason behind and the idea of the Keywords when planning.

The video is really fun (and true :xd: )

Keep sharing the progress!
Edmund2019  Spain

Posted by OwenChpw on 28 Sep 2020, 06:19

Peter wrote:I've seen Gulliver! ;-)

Just joking! I like the figures but the grass is a bit high! :-D :thumbup:

Haha :mrgreen: , him and his makeshift army! The grass is definitely too high, but the lighting is better on my lawn. I do have a static grass board but I like photos on my lawn for some reason.

carlosfaro wrote:Owen great Wild celts!! You matched them properly

Thank you very much, I do try and it does take ages, and I rework schemes if they're not to my liking, but they've turned out quite nicely I think!

Edmund2019 wrote:Amazing job here. The square patterns on the clothes are really really good.

I like very much the background research, making units unique with their own reason behind and the idea of the Keywords when planning.

The video is really fun (and true :xd: )

Keep sharing the progress!

Thank you, I will. I'm very interested in army themes (hence the keywords) because of my Warhammer background, and the emphasis on creating your own regiments, and I've carried that into my historicals. I'm planning the next unit of slingers and the layout of the figures and how they'll be posed, but it's a little while away. The army's nearly finished, which is always a little sad, but always very satisfying!
OwenChpw  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by tullo on 28 Sep 2020, 19:51

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :thumbup: :thumbup:
tullo  Germany

Posted by Michael Robert on 08 Oct 2020, 21:45

Hi Owen
You love your Celts and that’s visible in your work. So much care for details and background I have rarely seen and enjoying every bit.
Owen, the Tartan painter
Surely, many are jealous of your skill and patience. Certainly I am
Keep going
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress