Not varnished or the bases terrained, but bravely marching through a wood:

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 24 Apr 2020, 20:12

Nice painting!!

Paul
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Marvin on 25 Apr 2020, 10:09

Ochoin wrote:First battalion, Salm regiment.

Not varnished or the bases terrained, but bravely marching through a wood:

donald

Looking very good, I really like these 7YW sets by HaT, some of their best I think. Keep going with this!
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 25 Apr 2020, 10:21

Thanks for the nice comments, gents.

There's a bit still to do on this unit before I finish off a Grenz command stand & move onto the second battalion.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Rich W on 02 May 2020, 11:28

Any chance of some close ups?!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 02 May 2020, 13:23

Rich W wrote:Any chance of some close ups?!

Rich, I want to finish the battalion shown, and also the second battalion before I post more.

When that's done, I get out my trusty camera & photograph the entire Austrian army (grenz, 10 batts of infantry, 5 cavalry regiments & some artillery).

Thanks for the interest.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PaulRPetri on 05 Jun 2020, 01:33

Bad picture Donald but I am trying out a new site to post pictures. A few of my SYW fellows.

Paul

Posted by PaulRPetri on 05 Jun 2020, 01:34

Another shot.

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Jun 2020, 07:19

Paul, very nice. I think our approaches to the SYW are fairly similar.
I like the Cartho-Roman game photos you posted elsewhere.

What SYW rules do you use? Picquet? I think your unit size differs from mine but otherwise, this a table I'd definitely like!

Such a pity we're an ocean apart or an enjoyable wargame would be a distinct possibility.

regards donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 05 Jun 2020, 14:38

Hello Donald, funny you mentioned Piquet. I actually purchased Field of Battle 2, a Piquet based rules in March right before the planet was shut down. I havent tried them yet. I was going to use FOB2 for my 28mm SYW forces. The 1/72 scale figures pictured are originally based for Volley & Bayonet which is grand tactical rules set. The pictures show me trying to adapt To The Strongest an ancient set with grids and playing cards. Worked okay. For the ancients I use the rule set Tactica circa 1989. Like them alot.

I to wish an ocean didnt seperate us. A game would be very nice.
Paul

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Jun 2020, 21:55

Hi, Paul, I've written my own SYW rules, which like my figures, are a bit second rate but I still like them.

We use Field of Glory for our Ancients' games. They're not for the faint-hearted but once you get into them, produce a decent game.

My HaT SYW Austrian Action figures have arrived today, so I'm prepping them for painting. Believe it or not but that's me done for the SYW.....until/if anyone makes authentic cavalry. :(

cheers donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 05 Jun 2020, 23:24

How are the Field of Glory rules? Slow? I've never tried it.

Hope to see more of SYW figures, very cool.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Ochoin on 06 Jun 2020, 01:12

OwenChpw wrote:How are the Field of Glory rules? Slow? I've never tried it.

Hope to see more of SYW figures, very cool.

Hi, Owen.

Whereabouts in OZ are you? (in Brisbane, myself).

We use FoG; Ancients for Punic & Bronze Age & FoG: Renaissance for ECW so we must like the rules.

They are quite hard to learn but once you get a grip on them they produce an exciting game in what is a real battle of skill. A typical game starts slowly but tends to get to a critical point & everything falls apart very quickly. If both sides reach that point at the same time, it's great fun trying to patch things up, rally the troops & try to give your enemy one last shove!
I think this is quite historical. A small-medium game (less than 18 units a side) takes about 4 hours: not too bad. You *can* learn them cold but it would be great to have someone teach you.

The biggest criticism IMO is, as an essentially tournament set of rules, they're dry. We've added our own Event Cards to the game - each turn, the player winning Initiative takes one (it might read, "Faithfull Fortescue! One of your Pike & Shot units reconsiders its allegiance & joins the other side" for the ECW " etc).
This gives a bit of colour, adds an extra element of chance & is a source of amusement.

cheers donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 10 Jun 2020, 12:54

BTW this collection of "Tactical Tips' from Slitherine is written specifically for FoG but really is good advice for any miniature general (not implying anyone is short, of course....)

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6832

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Work in Progress