Work in Progress

100 Year's War Zvezda.

Posted by OwenChpw on 01 May 2020, 13:24

I've been looking for that set myself, but don't want to pay the small fortune for it!
User avatar
OwenChpw  Australia
 
Posts: 183
Member since:
14 Jan 2020, 06:46


Posted by morata92 on 01 May 2020, 21:40

OwenChpw wrote:I've been looking for that set myself, but don't want to pay the small fortune for it!


Hi Owen,

In my case I "only" had to pay 20€, including transport taxes and a bank charge that I didn´t expect.

Good luck!
User avatar
morata92  Spain
 
Posts: 24
Member since:
15 Apr 2020, 17:53

Posted by morata92 on 17 May 2020, 20:54

Hey mates,

I have changed my mind. I don't want to make a diorama anymore.

I would like to introduce myself to wargames.

I will try with DBA or DBM rules.

I need a hand with the bases. I read the rules and they say that an element is 6cmx3cm.

I am considering the possibility of make the bases in 12cmx6cm in order to gather more figures in the same element.

Any tip?

Thankss

By the way I have painted a few figures recently.

Image
User avatar
morata92  Spain
 
Posts: 24
Member since:
15 Apr 2020, 17:53

Posted by OwenChpw on 18 May 2020, 01:35

morata92 wrote:Hey mates,

I have changed my mind. I don't want to make a diorama anymore.

I would like to introduce myself to wargames.

I will try with DBA or DBM rules.

I need a hand with the bases. I read the rules and they say that an element is 6cmx3cm.

I am considering the possibility of make the bases in 12cmx6cm in order to gather more figures in the same element.

Any tip?

Thankss

By the way I have painted a few figures recently.


I always started with wargames, even if I barely play in practice. I like the idea that the models can be something you use, are a unit in an army you can control and gives you a boardgame experience when you have guests over.

I don't know about DBA (my group calls it dead boring armies, never got a chance to try it lol) but in Basic Impetus the number of figures don't matter, they're simply aesthetic. I've started making mini-dioramas on bases. For example, I'm thinking of making Spartacus's army, and I'm conceptualising a unit of ragtag escaped slaves (using Roman civilian minis) running from the conflict, urged on by a rearguard of veteran gladiators who are covering the retreat. That's a diorama AND a wargame unit. My point is, have you considered you could do both at the same time? I think DBA restricts the number of figures per base though so *shrugs*.

Love the painting by the way, very dark and gritty.
User avatar
OwenChpw  Australia
 
Posts: 183
Member since:
14 Jan 2020, 06:46

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 18 May 2020, 13:44

DBA is a good start IMHO: it is a condensed ruleset that introduce you to the basic of wargaming concept, same used by Impetus, for example. But I would refrain from doubling the size of DBA elements. You may find no opponent playing with that size. In 1/72 scale front edge is 6cm, base depth depend on type of unit, from 2cm to 8cm. Prescribed number of units for base is not mandatory, just recommended. And, with some exception, in the given space you can hardly fit more figures than those recommended. I saw a guy that play in 6mm using 4cm front edge (that used for smaller scale) that fill the base of tens of figures. You should see his Celtic warband bases: simply amazing https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10158423496072930&set=gm.1276693679199558
If you like bigger bases you can play Impetus (that somebody found less boring than DBA) that uses a 12cm front, and double depth compared to DBA (not always). But be ready to paint the double of figures if no more and engage in longer battle. Good of DBA is that in max 90 minutes you are done and you can either go home or have a second battle in the same night.
Good thing is that, whatever of the many available rulesets you will chose, wargaming is great fun. Go for it!!
User avatar
Mr. Andrea  Europe
Golden Brush Winner
 
Posts: 804
Member since:
18 Mar 2015, 12:43

Posted by kbakker on 18 May 2020, 18:30

With regards to the scenery, I myself am scavenging the internet for h0 scale trees, grass and scenery. Keep an eye out for people quitting the hobby and need to empty the attic or something

I have tried to make my own, but I didn't really like the process, nor did I like the results.

New the stuff is ridiculously expensive but secondhand they can be a steal.
kbakker  Netherlands
 
Posts: 10
Member since:
08 Jan 2020, 11:41

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by kbakker on 18 May 2020, 18:30

With regards to the scenery, I myself am scavenging the internet for h0 scale trees, grass and scenery. Keep an eye out for people quitting the hobby and need to empty the attic or something

I have tried to make my own, but I didn't really like the process, nor did I like the results.

New the stuff is ridiculously expensive but secondhand they can be a steal.
kbakker  Netherlands
 
Posts: 10
Member since:
08 Jan 2020, 11:41

Posted by Bessiere on 22 May 2020, 01:12

Very nice painting on these new chaps! I disagree about needing more varnish, armor should have a bit of sheen to it and I think your figs look perfect the way they are in my humble opinion.
Bessiere  United States of America
 
Posts: 341
Member since:
23 May 2019, 15:50

Posted by morata92 on 23 May 2020, 12:20

Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, I agree with you OwenChpw, Basic impetus is funnier than DBx. I will try to make my bases like dioramas but it won't be easy.

Thaks Mr. Andrea, I could read that Basic and DBx are compatible so I have started to make the bases.

I have already decided to follow the netx French and English army lists.

Image
Image

I received the last boxes recently so I have all of them including a few figures of Miniart.

They will be about 200 figures all together. The Heavy Bombard set is going to be part of the scenery.

Image

I have decided to include one base extra of FL in each army using the figures of Peasant Army.
I don't know whether that is correct or not.

Image


Image
User avatar
morata92  Spain
 
Posts: 24
Member since:
15 Apr 2020, 17:53

Posted by morata92 on 23 May 2020, 12:24

kbakker wrote:With regards to the scenery, I myself am scavenging the internet for h0 scale trees, grass and scenery. Keep an eye out for people quitting the hobby and need to empty the attic or something

I have tried to make my own, but I didn't really like the process, nor did I like the results.

New the stuff is ridiculously expensive but secondhand they can be a steal.


Yes, you are right, the price is ridiculous. I will manage to make a proper forest and mountains without spend that quantity of money.

I hope I can show you soon.
Thanks
User avatar
morata92  Spain
 
Posts: 24
Member since:
15 Apr 2020, 17:53

Posted by morata92 on 23 May 2020, 12:24

Bessiere wrote:Very nice painting on these new chaps! I disagree about needing more varnish, armor should have a bit of sheen to it and I think your figs look perfect the way they are in my humble opinion.


I will follow your tip. Thanks for your words ;)
User avatar
morata92  Spain
 
Posts: 24
Member since:
15 Apr 2020, 17:53

Posted by OwenChpw on 23 May 2020, 23:23

morata92 wrote:Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, I agree with you OwenChpw, Basic impetus is funnier than DBx. I will try to make my bases like dioramas but it won't be easy.

Thaks Mr. Andrea, I could read that Basic and DBx are compatible so I have started to make the bases.

I have already decided to follow the netx French and English army lists.


I received the last boxes recently so I have all of them including a few figures of Miniart.

They will be about 200 figures all together. The Heavy Bombard set is going to be part of the scenery.


I have decided to include one base extra of FL in each army using the figures of Peasant Army.
I don't know whether that is correct or not.


Hey, I just want to clarify some things because I don't want to mislead you or anything. I don't want to say one system is better or more fun or anything more than another. My point is I've never tried DBA because my group doesn't like it, but that doesn't mean DBA is worse or better. I just have no idea. If I ever get the chance I'd happily try it, and I've heard games are fast, so that's a plus.

But what I do know is stuff about Basic Impetus, because that's what I play, I know the current rules for version 1.0 are still around and, looking at the basing sizes now, I think it's the same as 2.0

So for reference, Basic Impetus is now 2.0 and the current basing system is:

Image

I've highlighted the scale I use for 1/72, the rules themselves state you can use either 28mm or 15mm scale bases for 1/72, I've personally chosen 15mm because
1. That's just how my teacher taught me in high school,
2. I fit around 8 minis per base and that's cool by me.

But you can do whatever you want, it's your hobby. For maximum flexibility, why not follow the guidelines for DBA basing? Impetus and BI base sizes were designed to fit with other wargames so that way, I'm pretty sure if you just do DBA basing it should match up with my image above, but I don't really know, that's on you to check.

Looking at the BI 1.0 list you've provided, the English option is... - wow, I can't tell. I think the list was glitched, it doesn't tell you how many nobles or men at arms you can replace. I'm pretty sure it's equivalent so 1 for 1. The french list is implied to be in that way, so the French can swap 1 crossbow unit and 1 levies for 2 Artilley A (option 3) or like, 2 levies for 2 shortbow B.

Mate, if you want to throw in an extra unit of peasants as FL go nuts. It's not in the list options though, but if you don't care don't let it stop you. Again, it's your hobby. If you're a tournament player it's prob not allowed though. However, Impetus uses models as representation. If you want, you can make a unit of nobles using peasant miniatures or whatever and explain it to your opponent beforehand. I'm not a fan of WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) because I think it limits creativity.

If you put 14 figures per base you're a braver man than I. I paint so slowly I'll probably retire before I finish my collection. I do 8, but I can see you've decided to go max base size (12 cm X 4cm?), probably for DBA.

I just think diorama bases are cool, no pressure, make them if you want. You can start simple, have some in close rank, some in loose order or you can go crazy with farm animals in between their legs and them clambering over smoking castle ruins or something. I'm currently building a styrofoam cliff for a chariot, it's a lot of fun.

For your reference, here's the Basic Impetus 2.0 English and French:

Image

Image
User avatar
OwenChpw  Australia
 
Posts: 183
Member since:
14 Jan 2020, 06:46

Posted by morata92 on 24 May 2020, 00:23

OwenChpw wrote:
Hey, I just want to clarify some things because I don't want to mislead you or anything. I don't want to say one system is better or more fun or anything more than another. My point is I've never tried DBA because my group doesn't like it, but that doesn't mean DBA is worse or better. I just have no idea. If I ever get the chance I'd happily try it, and I've heard games are fast, so that's a plus.

But what I do know is stuff about Basic Impetus, because that's what I play, I know the current rules for version 1.0 are still around and, looking at the basing sizes now, I think it's the same as 2.0

So for reference, Basic Impetus is now 2.0 and the current basing system is:

Image

I've highlighted the scale I use for 1/72, the rules themselves state you can use either 28mm or 15mm scale bases for 1/72, I've personally chosen 15mm because
1. That's just how my teacher taught me in high school,
2. I fit around 8 minis per base and that's cool by me.

But you can do whatever you want, it's your hobby. For maximum flexibility, why not follow the guidelines for DBA basing? Impetus and BI base sizes were designed to fit with other wargames so that way, I'm pretty sure if you just do DBA basing it should match up with my image above, but I don't really know, that's on you to check.

Looking at the BI 1.0 list you've provided, the English option is... - wow, I can't tell. I think the list was glitched, it doesn't tell you how many nobles or men at arms you can replace. I'm pretty sure it's equivalent so 1 for 1. The french list is implied to be in that way, so the French can swap 1 crossbow unit and 1 levies for 2 Artilley A (option 3) or like, 2 levies for 2 shortbow B.

Mate, if you want to throw in an extra unit of peasants as FL go nuts. It's not in the list options though, but if you don't care don't let it stop you. Again, it's your hobby. If you're a tournament player it's prob not allowed though. However, Impetus uses models as representation. If you want, you can make a unit of nobles using peasant miniatures or whatever and explain it to your opponent beforehand. I'm not a fan of WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) because I think it limits creativity.

If you put 14 figures per base you're a braver man than I. I paint so slowly I'll probably retire before I finish my collection. I do 8, but I can see you've decided to go max base size (12 cm X 4cm?), probably for DBA.

I just think diorama bases are cool, no pressure, make them if you want. You can start simple, have some in close rank, some in loose order or you can go crazy with farm animals in between their legs and them clambering over smoking castle ruins or something. I'm currently building a styrofoam cliff for a chariot, it's a lot of fun.

For your reference, here's the Basic Impetus 2.0 English and French:

Image

Image


Wow, this message contains really worthy information.

I am answering you properly tomorrow. Thanks a lot
User avatar
morata92  Spain
 
Posts: 24
Member since:
15 Apr 2020, 17:53

Posted by Leonid Kireev on 31 May 2020, 20:30

morata92 wrote:Hi,

I want to create a Medieval Diorama of 100 Year's War. For the time being I have purchased Zvezda English Knights and Zvezda French Infantry.

I have time because of the quarantine, but I haven't many of the materials I need so I am focused in the figures rather than the scenography.

Even though, I would like to create a forest using real plants and branches. It is possible? Have you ever built a forest in that way?

I accept every sort of tips about painting and scenography.

Sorry for my English.

Thanks.

Image


Hi, Jesus! Nice to meet you here! A good start!
User avatar
Leonid Kireev  Russia
 
Posts: 152
Member since:
23 Sep 2012, 16:41

Posted by morata92 on 03 Jun 2020, 10:43

morata92 wrote:
Wow, this message contains really worthy information.

I am answering you properly tomorrow. Thanks a lot



Sorry OwenChpw , I have been a bit busy recently.

I have read your message quite thoroughly. I have understood Impetus figures basing, thanks.

Unfortunately my first experience basing miniatures was a total disaster. I made polyestyrene bases using the basic impetus dimensions, however when I painted the bases they melted like ice because of the solvent.

Then I decided to try with wooden bases. The result was quite good but soon I was mulling over the possibility of having a "Movable miniatures" so as to change them depending on the Army List I wanted to play each game.

The best option I have thought up is the next one:

Using a metal sheets as bases and put a tiny strong magnet under the figure bases. Over the metal sheets I want to put a rectangular grass ¿carpets?. I have my fingers crossed hoping that it works.

Image
Image

I will show you a sample of the results as soon as I receive the materials.

Meanwhile, I continue painting!

Image
Image

I am very grateful OwenChpw, if you hadn't sent that army lists I wouldn't have tried that way to base my minis.

You have a friend in Spain since that moment.
User avatar
morata92  Spain
 
Posts: 24
Member since:
15 Apr 2020, 17:53

Posted by morata92 on 03 Jun 2020, 10:46

Leonid Kireev wrote:
Hi, Jesus! Nice to meet you here! A good start!


Hi Leonard! What a surprise, I am happy to see you here. Thanks! We see on instagram ;)
User avatar
morata92  Spain
 
Posts: 24
Member since:
15 Apr 2020, 17:53

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by OwenChpw on 03 Jun 2020, 14:00

morata92 wrote:
Sorry OwenChpw , I have been a bit busy recently.

I have read your message quite thoroughly. I have understood Impetus figures basing, thanks.

Unfortunately my first experience basing miniatures was a total disaster. I made polyestyrene bases using the basic impetus dimensions, however when I painted the bases they melted like ice because of the solvent.


Haha, that's kind of happened to me. I tried building a cliff out of polystyrene, spraypainted it was okay, but then gaps kept appearing and I was like, what is happening? I learned it wont melt if you PVA glue, then put sand on it first, so that helps. I think Polystyrene is still super useful for making diorama bases or terrain. What I've started thinking of doing is having like slabs of poly on bases, use sand to hide the gaps in the joining and it just looks like a little hill. Makes bases more interesting.

morata92 wrote: Then I decided to try with wooden bases. The result was quite good but soon I was mulling over the possibility of having a "Movable miniatures" so as to change them depending on the Army List I wanted to play each game.

The best option I have thought up is the next one:

Using a metal sheets as bases and put a tiny strong magnet under the figure bases. Over the metal sheets I want to put a rectangular grass ¿carpets?. I have my fingers crossed hoping that it works.


Metal is an interesting idea, I mean it'll be solid, so it definitely won't tip over and you'll have no problems with wind(?) What I personally do is buy plasticard or sheet styrene of 1.5 mm thickness, like this one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plasticard- ... SwgIdZ1Qwi

then I just measure and cut. Plasticard is light, easy to cut and you can use it for all kinds of things. I've never considered metal, just because the idea of cutting metal makes a hard hobby even harder. If it works for you, go for it.

Putting a grass matt on bases is a decent idea, but you need to think about how plastic miniatures already come on a little plastic stand. If you're okay with that, that's fine. What I do for my bases is -

1. Paint all my miniatures to completion.
2. Position all my minis on the base, trace around them with a pencil.
3. PVA glue the base around the tracings
4. pour sand on glue, spraypaint the whole thing
5. Stick my minis on the base, fill in the joins and gaps with more PVA glue and sand, paint the sand black.
6. PVA glue, static grass, paint the sand to look like dirt. Then add flower tuffs or whatever.

What I like about my approach is that the natural plastic base of the miniature is integrated into the base itself so the join is seamless. It looks more realistic. I suppose with the grass matt, if you want a seamless join, you could cut holes in it, put your minis in the holes, then PVA glue, then static grass the plastic base so it looks like the metal base. You said you want to be able to move your minis around, that way you could still do that and the plastic base would retain the look of the metal base. Lot more effort though lol.

morata92 wrote:I will show you a sample of the results as soon as I receive the materials.

Meanwhile, I continue painting!

I am very grateful OwenChpw, if you hadn't sent that army lists I wouldn't have tried that way to base my minis.

You have a friend in Spain since that moment.


Cool, can't wait to see more minis.

Haha no problem, people should try to help each other. If you're ever in 'Straya (Australia) we could grab a beer and play a game. My wargames club is literally held at the local pub - so handy. :-D
User avatar
OwenChpw  Australia
 
Posts: 183
Member since:
14 Jan 2020, 06:46

Posted by morata92 on 04 Jun 2020, 10:41

OwenChpw wrote:
Putting a grass matt on bases is a decent idea, but you need to think about how plastic miniatures already come on a little plastic stand.

What I like about my approach is that the natural plastic base of the miniature is integrated into the base itself so the join is seamless. It looks more realistic. I suppose with the grass matt, if you want a seamless join, you could cut holes in it, put your minis in the holes, then PVA glue, then static grass the plastic base so it looks like the metal base. You said you want to be able to move your minis around, that way you could still do that and the plastic base would retain the look of the metal base. Lot more effort though lol.


Hi again Owenchip. I won´t use PVA glue because I want movable miniatures in order to have more flexibility with the army lists.

I have no tried yet, but I think it will work with the magnets. The grass matt is very thin and its base is made of paper (I suppose thats the reason why it's so cheap). If the magnet is powerful enough, I think the figure will stand straight even and flatten the grass.

In case that grass the figures don't keep straight, I will make even areas of "mud" and "clay" removing or triming the grass.

We will see. The investment of money is not so high, I will take the risk. If it does't work I will try another way.

Thanks again
User avatar
morata92  Spain
 
Posts: 24
Member since:
15 Apr 2020, 17:53

Posted by morata92 on 17 Jun 2020, 00:50

Hi dudes.

This is the basing system using magnets, iron bases and portions of grass mat.

I promise I will post better images in following posts, the next one is too dark .

Image

The magnets are behind the miniatures fixed with glue. I like this way because it's more flexible regarding to make different army lists.

By the way, I have already started with buildings. Firstly, I am using paper craft models even though I would like to try with 3d Printed buildings.

Image

The next time, I will print the building in a cardboard sheet directly instead of sheet of paper so as to save time..

The result could be better but i am pleased .

Bye bye mates
User avatar
morata92  Spain
 
Posts: 24
Member since:
15 Apr 2020, 17:53

Posted by OwenChpw on 17 Jun 2020, 01:04

Wow the army ranks up so nicely, look at that! Super cool. I love it when an army comes together. Close-ups please.

Also the paper buildings look dope, it's not the same as plastic, but painted print obviously works fine in a pinch.
User avatar
OwenChpw  Australia
 
Posts: 183
Member since:
14 Jan 2020, 06:46

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress