Work in Progress

Tiger I P (Porsche)

Posted by Jaques on 21 Nov 2019, 21:40

Hi , friends.

Resting a little of the figures, I decided to work in this legendary and unique tank.

The 1/72 kit is from Dragon.

As you can see, well assembled and well painted in the diecast version of Dragon Armor, a beautiful kit.

However, as I see it, there was a fatal forgetfulness to the operating version of Tiger P. It was done without Zimmerit.

Pictures of the Tiger P in operation, including in a train car, next to a Panzer IV turret Panther tank.

I don't know if there is a 1/72 photo -etched for this tank.
I even thought of using Part photo-etched print for the more well-known Tiger I.
However, I found 2 problems:

1- I would need to crop and adapt the recorded photo-etched to apply on Tiger P. I found it impossible.

2- Researching and enlarging the photos, I concluded that it was applied to Tiger P, thin layer of Zimmerit and quite irregular. The option to put dough and make would make the Zimmerit layer thick.

The solution I found after researching the parts that received Zimmerit was to make an application of Zimmerit with a blade, mass epoxy, water and toothbrush. :oops: :mrgreen:

Using a small piece of the same plastic as the kit, an example tutorial of what I did in the tank:

1- With the blade, I first made small scratches in the horizontal position.

2- Then, lighter scratches, vertically.

3- Then, with epoxy paste and water to soften, I made a paste (my Zimmerit :-D ) and applied a thin layer over all scratched area. 2 minutes later, I brushed the toothbrush with water, removing the paste and only leaving residue on the scratches.
Imagepic sharing

The result in the tank is like this.

Regards. :thumbup:
Jaques  Brazil

Posted by huib on 25 Nov 2019, 14:11

That is really a very convincing way to make Zimmerit, Jacques! Very well done.
huib  Netherlands

Return to Work in Progress