Work in Progress

The Netherlands 1945 - closing the circle

Posted by GumSmith on 27 Jul 2019, 14:27

The attack on the Netherlands and Belgium by the still young German parachute troops on May, 10th 1940 was their first big victory. After more than 5 years of war German parachute troops were again in the Netherlands - this time to experience the final defeat there.
My little diorama shows exhausted German soldiers, who surrender to Canadian troops, partly wounded. Equipment and weapons are scattered everywhere.
In the factory one can recognize by the weapons and wounded soldiers that were fought here until recently.

As already written elsewhere, this is the next diorama, which I started years ago and will finally finish now.

I hope, you enjoy the pics.

Cheers Oke
GumSmith  Germany

Posted by ironzentaur on 27 Jul 2019, 22:09

Wonderful! Please: more pics!!!
ironzentaur  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 28 Jul 2019, 16:10

Very nice indeed.

Looking forward to see the progress.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by GumSmith on 29 Jul 2019, 13:43

Hi ironzentaur,
i can give you some pics more, but without any progress at the moment.
Next I want to paint the joints and then all the small stuff, weapons, equipment etc.. The figures come last.

cheers Oke
GumSmith  Germany

Posted by GumSmith on 02 Aug 2019, 10:32

Hi,
I have now started to paint equipment and accessories and distribute them on the diorama. The FG 42 on the upper floor is actually meaningless, but I really wanted it on the diorama. After looking at the pictures I came to the conclusion that the pile of discarded weapons on the street seems to be too small. So I will add some carbines, one or two US loot rifles and one MP and one StGw 44. But I'll do that bit by bit so that the pile doesn't get too big.

Also in the building I distributed some weapons, tools and first accessories as well as cartridge cases. Especially on the MG 42 there are of course most of the cartridge cases, in addition you can see a short piece of MG-belt on the gun. For the sake of simplicity I used a photoetched part again ( from ABER), even if etched ammunition belts are actually too two-dimensional for me. But also nice and easy to work with.

Little by little I add canteens, dishes and helmets, one or two bottles and other rubbish.

Only when most of these things are finished, I will probably start with the figures.

as always, i hope you enjoy the pics.

Cheers Oke
GumSmith  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 02 Aug 2019, 13:32

Hitler would have been so mad to see these Falschirmjaegers surrendering while they still had ammunition left! I, however, am happy because I really like the progress you have made on this diorama so far.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by huib on 06 Aug 2019, 21:26

Great work! Go on!
huib  Netherlands

Posted by GumSmith on 11 Aug 2019, 09:58

Hi,
In the last days there was little time again, but some details have been added. On the one hand I repainted the exterior of the ruin, on the other hand I added some weapons to the pile along the way. Two US prey weapons lean against the wall, which were sorted out for "reintegration" into the allied arsenal. Additionally I distributed a few canteens and metal bowls and added some tools under one of the workbenches.

cheers Oke
GumSmith  Germany

Posted by Peter on 11 Aug 2019, 17:32

Looks great so far Oke! Great to see you back with some German Paratroopers! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by GumSmith on 20 Aug 2019, 14:59

Hi,
i´ve done the last details on the dio base and placed helmets, ammo-banderoles and some bottles.
Now it is time to start with the figs.

cheers Oke
GumSmith  Germany

Return to Work in Progress