Work in Progress

Swiss Guard, Pope and Cardinals

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 11 Jun 2020, 19:01

Let them coming Santi!! :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 12 Jun 2020, 10:07

I have to write it again, Sante: bravo!
I look at your figures and I smile happily. That's a sort of super power you have
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Santi Pérez on 12 Jun 2020, 20:19

Uf, once again I have turned red with your kind comments, friends. Thank you very much to all. :oops:

I feel very happy everytime someone tells me he likes my painting style. It's the result of more than forty years of development and improvement. I think its main and best qualities are cleanliness, clarity and accuracy, as some of you have noticed. I see every day here, at the forum, other styles much better and realistic than mine, but I'm too old to change it at this point in my life. :winky:

Now it's the time for individual replies.

OwenChpw wrote:Wow the whites and oranges are so smooth and rich, was that multiple thin coats? It really stands out because of how strong the colours are!

Yes, OwenChpw, I usually apply a lot of coats to one surface until I reach the desired color.

Wiking wrote:...And the lips. Top idea... :yeah:

This is not the first time I paint this type of lips, Wiking. Perhaps you can remember this guy from an older diorama:

lobo wrote:Santi, this painting technique it´s very original and eye-catching¡…how would it work in a 1/72 army¡? Antonio.

MABO wrote:I can only agree. What a great unique painting style.

sberry wrote:Your style is really unique, fantastic work again!

Ben90 wrote:Very cool... figure and paintjob!

Thank you very much, Antonio, MABO, sberry and Ben90. I'm afraid there is only one answer to your question, Antonio: we'll never be able to see how my painting technique would work in an entire army. I'm very slow as a painter, so all my projects can only include a small number of figures. :(

Kekso wrote:...My only advice is to use 2€ coin and figure would look even smaller :D :D :D

Not bad advice, Kekso, I must try in some future pictures. :tongue:

Egbert wrote:I am happy that your dio will continue .... :-D Your painting technique is very special.
Clean and clear with wonderfully smooth transitions. :thumbup: The shadows look so realistic that you cannot say whether they are natural or whether they were painted on. :drool: I'm really looking forward to the next characters. :love: :love: :love:

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:Let them coming Santi!! :yeah: :-D

Konrad wrote:I'm very excited about the finished scene or the diorama. Your painting style is extremely clean and accurate. Lets see how it goes on.

Thank you for your support, Egbert, Kostis and Konrad, but be patient. As I said above, speed ​​isn't one of my qualities as a painter. :winky:

Mr. Andrea wrote:bravo!!

Mr. Andrea wrote:I have to write it again, Sante: bravo! I look at your figures and I smile happily. That's a sort of super power you have

Mr. Andrea, and I say bravo bravísimo! for all the wonderful people in this forum like you, for example. :occasion:

I hope to finish the first Swiss Guardsman and post its pictures soon. ;-)

Very best regards, mates.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by sberry on 14 Jun 2020, 09:54

Mr. Andrea wrote:I look at your figures and I smile happily. That's a sort of super power you have

Yes, exactly!
sberry  Germany

Posted by Santi Pérez on 17 Jun 2020, 13:58

Mr. Andrea wrote:...I look at your figures and I smile happily. That's a sort of super power you have

sberry wrote:Yes, exactly!

What more can I asked for, sberry, if I have contributed anything to the happiness of somebody in these uncertain times? I also feel happy knowing that. :winky:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Santi Pérez on 21 Jul 2020, 12:35

The first Swiss Guard for the diorama is ready at last. It's one of the two halberdiers who will be presenting arms to the religious procession, together with an officer, a sergeant and a NCO. :winky:

The presentation picture with an euro coin for size comparison:

And now the sequence of pictures with the converted, primed and painted figure, viewed from four different angles. :-D

Front view:

Right view:

Back view:

Left view:

I hope you like it and many thanks for watching. The next figure will be another of the Guards. ;-)

My best compliments to all of you, friends.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 21 Jul 2020, 12:39

He's so clean, he's so delightfully CLEAN.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by sberry on 21 Jul 2020, 14:43

Wonderful!
sberry  Germany

Posted by Konrad on 21 Jul 2020, 14:58

A very clean paintjob.
Nice.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by MABO on 21 Jul 2020, 19:26

Wonderful paintjob in your own unique style. My question: Is the uniform wrong or why have you changed the design of the stripes?
MABO  Europe

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 21 Jul 2020, 20:38

Wonderful work, Santi! :thumbup: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Ben90 on 22 Jul 2020, 08:52

Great work. I really like the vibrant colours!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Wiking on 22 Jul 2020, 17:06

I see what we can expect from your workbench.
In truth, nothing new.

A superb work.

Again.

:yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Santi Pérez on 22 Jul 2020, 22:44

Thank you very much for your kind comments, my friends, I'm pleasure you like my new figure. :love1:

MABO wrote:Wonderful paintjob in your own unique style. My question: Is the uniform wrong or why have you changed the design of the stripes?

You've made a very smart appreciation, MABO. This is one thing I wanted to clarify. In my previous diorama about the Swiss Guard I painted the stripes over the design sculpted on the figures. However, afterwards I noticed that this design wasn't as accurate as it should be. So I wanted to improve it now.

In the following images you can see one of my former figures, the actual halberdiers and the new figure. If you compare both figures with the original guards, you will see that the latest design is closer to the real one than the first. Always trying to do it the best. ;-)

The next figure I have already begun is another guard, in this case the sergeant. Fortunately, his uniform isn't so elaborate than that of the other ranks, so it won't become a new nightmare. But just for now, since I still have another halberdier and a NCO to paint, I stress just thinking about it. :shock:

Well, tomorrow I'm going with my family to rest for a few days, so I will disconnect from the forum and the hobby. But I will return with renewed energy to resume my usual life and continue sharing good times with you. :wave:

Have good days and see you on my return. My best wishes for you all. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 22 Jul 2020, 23:22

happy holidays
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by MABO on 23 Jul 2020, 07:04

From me as well!
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 01 Aug 2020, 16:46

Thank you late for your wishes, Mr. Andrea and MABO. :-D

Now back home and with renewed energy to continue my projects, especially the diorama of the Pope and Swiss Guard. The sergeant is already on the workbench, looking forward to being painted. :mrgreen:

I will try to go with him, despite the high temperatures we are suffering in Spain. :sweatdrop:

Best regards, mates.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 11 Aug 2020, 12:43

Wonderfull work on those guards! I will use that as an example when I will paint my very big Swiss guard from Revell. ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 11 Aug 2020, 13:01

Peter wrote:Wonderfull work on those guards! I will use that as an example when I will paint my v-big Swis guard from Revell. ;-) :thumbup:

Uf, you have chosen a really big one, Peter. :drool:

You flatter me by using my figures as an example, when you have thousands and thousands of photos of real Swiss Guards on the internet to consult. :oops:

I will follow it with great interest when you begin this project, my predilection for these soldiers is an open secret. :love1:

Cheers. :occasion:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Egbert on 12 Aug 2020, 10:00

...wonderful and great job my friend!
Egbert  Germany

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress