Posted by Dad's Army on 07 Sep 2019, 08:29

Cool conversion, must be a great result in the end
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 07 Sep 2019, 14:03

Dad's Army wrote:Cool conversion, must be a great result in the end

Exactly!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 14 Sep 2019, 23:16

Dad's Army wrote:Cool conversion, must be a great result in the end

MABO wrote:...Exactly!

Thank you, guys. I also hope that the final result would be as interesting as the conversions. ;-)

Now it’s the time for the Cross bearer.

The logical original figure for this was the one holding a small cross with both hands:

Apart from new garments, it needed another head and a bigger cross.

The head was donated by a partisan from the Caesar Miniatures Partisans in Europe set:

For the stick of the cross I used the same spears from Häts Roman Auxiliary as for the halberds of the Swiss Guard:

I remembered that I had a 15mm Hovels metal Wayside Cross in my spare parts box for years and decided that it would be the ideal cross, once the unwanted parts were removed:

And this is the result:

Image Image Image Image

The next figure (and the last one) will be the Pope. :wave:

Thanks for watching.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Santi Pérez on 29 Sep 2019, 00:13

Finally I have found some time to show the last and most important figure of the diorama, the Pope himself.

For this character I chose the figure of the monk with open arms, taking into account what I wanted to get: the left hand holding a cross and the right one in a blessing pose, something like this:

The original figure:

The head needed a repositioning, as well as both arms. For the left hand holding the cross and the lower part of this I took the one of the Signifer from the Esci-Italeri Roman Infantry set:

I modelled the rest of the cross with some plastic pilum pieces and PVA glue.

The Pope also needed a special garment: he wears a casulla over his clothes. I made it with tissue paper covered with PVA.

Another item was the mitre. It was modelled completely with white wood glue. Its back ribbons were made with two strips of paper covered again with PVA.

And this is the resulting figure (he also carries the papal ring in his right hand):

Image Image Image Image

And here are all the religious figures of the diorama:

The next step will take me much longer: the painting of the figures. I will post my slow progress. :sweatdrop:

I hope you like it. Thank you so much. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by C M Dodson on 29 Sep 2019, 05:41

Really ingenious conversion work in my opinion.

Very clever indeed.

The results will be spectacular.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Wiking on 29 Sep 2019, 13:40

Impressive all the transformation, addition of small parts, like the ears, to all the holy figures.
Wiking  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Sep 2019, 15:44

Wiking wrote:Impressive all the transformation, addition of small parts, like the ears, to all the holy figures.

Yes it is very nice to see these conversions. Superb work imo. And I especially agree about the ears. Some of the HaT sculptors do not appear to understand very well this feature of the himan anatomy.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by PhilC on 29 Sep 2019, 19:16

Incredible conversions!
I started to read this thread from the end, so I first so your pope, then the signifer... and I said to myself: waow, he could transform a signifer into a pope! It sounds like a miracle, doesn't it ? :shock: :mrgreen:
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Egbert on 30 Sep 2019, 07:57

Wow Santi...great stuff! :thumbup:
I think your sensational conversions are exceptionally detailed and very clean.
The topic is definitely a very unusual and very special idea.
That will certainly remain very interesting. :-D
Egbert  Germany

Posted by Santi Pérez on 30 Sep 2019, 20:15

Thank you very much for your kind comments, friends.

C M Dodson wrote:Really ingenious conversion work in my opinion. Very clever indeed. The results will be spectacular. Best wishes. Chris

I love your opinion, C M. I would just wish that my humble skills as a painter were as good as those for conversions. :(

I agree with you both, Wiking and Bluefalchion. Some sculptors (from Hät and other manufacturers) do not pay much attention to small details of the anatomy and equipment of the figures. Therefore, I must try to improve them in the pre-painting preparation stage to facilitate the subsequent paint job. ;-)

PhilC wrote:Incredible conversions! I started to read this thread from the end, so I first so your pope, then the signifer... and I said to myself: waow, he could transform a signifer into a pope! It sounds like a miracle, doesn't it ? :shock: :mrgreen:

I would love to have the ability to do what you say, Phil, hahaha. But no, I have only used the left hand and a piece of the signum from the Signifer. The rest of the Pope figure is basically the Pegasus Franciscan monk with some more transformations. :winky:

Egbert wrote:Wow Santi...great stuff! :thumbup: I think your sensational conversions are exceptionally detailed and very clean. The topic is definitely a very unusual and very special idea.
That will certainly remain very interesting. :-D

Thanks so much, Egbert. I greatly appreciate your opinion, considering that you are a conversion master. :notworthy:

Now I have the diorama base ready. Finally, I have not used the printable black and white marble floor that I found on the Internet, but another green and white one from a dollhouse store, due to the larger size of the tiles, the quality of the photo paper used and its brightness, very similar to that of an authentic marble floor.

This is the original paper sheet:

And this is the resulting base:

Image Image

I also have all the figures primed, but not photographed yet. As soon as I have them, I will post them. :thumbup:

Greetings.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 30 Sep 2019, 21:50

Wonderful work! :thumbup: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Egbert on 01 Oct 2019, 07:36

Perfect... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Egbert  Germany

Posted by Peter on 01 Oct 2019, 17:09

Great conversions on those figures and I can't wait top see them painted! :thumbup:

Not completely happy with that floor you use. It looks much to big (0.05m (?) x 72 = 3.6 m (!))

In this link you can find floors: https://www.unicornmodels.be/v2/index.p ... it_search=

Just my five cents! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 02 Oct 2019, 22:00

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:Wonderful work! :thumbup: :-D

Egbert wrote:Perfect... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you, Kostis and Egbert, it's my pleasure to read these compliments from you. :oops:

Peter wrote:Great conversions on those figures and I can't wait top see them painted! :thumbup:
Not completely happy with that floor you use. It looks much to big (0.05m (?) x 72 = 3.6 m (!))
In this link you can find floors: https://www.unicornmodels.be/v2/index.p ... it_search=
Just my five cents! :-D

Thanks, Peter, but I'm afraid you'll still have to wait some time until you can see all the painted figures and the finished diorama. :(

I agree with you that my floor doesn't look too good. I already thought that when I bought it, but I liked its colors and the quality of its finish. :eh:

Thanks also for the link provided. I have visited it without much success, since the marble floors available haven't convinced me (sorry, you haven't won your five cents, hahaha). I think I will visit again the dollhouse store where I bought my white and green floor to see if I can find other realistic designs, but with smaller tiles. :mrgreen:

Best regards, mates. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Susofrick on 03 Oct 2019, 09:38

And I thought the floor looked good! :oops:
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Paul on 03 Oct 2019, 10:47

IMHO, the flooring Chosen Looks ok. Not what a lot of the flooring Looks like in the Vatican but to use that would take the Focus away from the excellent sculpting/conversion work done by Santi on the new holy bods
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 06 Oct 2019, 19:52

Susofrick wrote:And I thought the floor looked good! :oops:

Paul wrote:IMHO, the flooring Chosen Looks ok. Not what a lot of the flooring Looks like in the Vatican but to use that would take the Focus away from the excellent sculpting/conversion work done by Santi on the new holy bods

Thank you for your opinions and advices, mates. :yeah:

The solution has been easier than I thought. Yesterday I visited the dollhouses shop where I bought the original white and green marble floor and found a very similar design, also white and more grey than green, but with smaller tiles. :P

I think the new floor looks better than the older. :thumbup:

Here you have the comparative pictures.

Both designs together:

And the new floor, already glued on the base, compared with the old one:

Image Image Image Image

Your opinions will be very welcome, as always. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by MaSt on 15 Oct 2019, 11:18

Just WOW, amazing work ! I hope to see it painted soon !
MaSt  Italy

Posted by Santi Pérez on 15 Oct 2019, 18:31

MaSt wrote:Just WOW, amazing work ! I hope to see it painted soon !

Thanks for your opinion and encourage, MaSt. Well, you will need a little patience to see all the figures painted and the diorama finished. It will be a slow process. :sweatdrop:

Now I have the figures primed, ready for the paintjob. Here they are:

Image Image

I will begin with a Cardinal. His "uniform" is easiest to paint than that of a Swiss Guard. :winky:

The next post just when I finish it. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by PhilC on 15 Oct 2019, 21:51

Nice work so far. You need a lot of patience to achieve a task like this one, looking forward to seeing the result!
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress