Work in Progress

Amazon Army (Work in Progress)

Posted by PhilC on 14 Oct 2019, 15:08

Last post on the subject: I don't see the huntress, and I see the 3 first images in your following post - 4 are missing.
And what I can see is highly interesting :) Where do your avatars and Sphinx come from ?
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by steve_pickstock on 14 Oct 2019, 17:32

I was going to mention that Carlos Faro had seen the pictures in his post.

The Avatars etc come from Reaper Bones Miniatures - I get mine through Element games who have a wide selection. Neferkitti the sphinx, and the scorpions also come from there. They are designed to work with 28mm figures but they seem to work with the 1/72s okay, and they're fairly cheap.
https://elementgames.co.uk/search?q=Reaper
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by PhilC on 14 Oct 2019, 19:35

Thank you for the info regarding Reaper Bones, lots of fantasy creatures that you be ok in 1/72: Basilisk, Bone Devil, scorpions... something like a new gold mine :shock:
PhilC  Europe

Posted by MABO on 14 Oct 2019, 20:58

I can not see the pics as well, but I would like to...
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by steve_pickstock on 14 Oct 2019, 21:54

Here we go, I uploaded the Funerary Army pics to photobucket.

The army itself - from left to right - Mummy archers, warriors, scorpions, undead sea people warrior zombies (though I may use them as vampires in the future), Tomb Knights, more scorpions, a sphinx, and beyond her some avatars of the gods.

Scorpions and the avatars

The Sea Peoples zombies or vampires (haven't decided yet)

Warriors, scorpions and Tomb Knights

Neferkitti the sphinx

The models from Reaper
Sphinx
This is a lovely model with a beautiful set of wings, she is sculpted by Julie Guthrie who is also one of my favourite sculptors

This is an avatar that still needs finishing so has not be shown yet, not the problem with a lot of Reaper figures - bendy weapons, I generally replace the hafts with brass rod or something similar. This fellow is also quite a bit bigger than the other two, which is a shame as I wanted to use a unit of three.

The scorpion models - sold in pairs

There is one more figure to add to this army the wizard. I will get a picture for you eventually. He is standing on a floating block of stone from which he controls things. In the rules he can strike enemy units using spells, so he will get some floating stone blocks (that was how they built pyramids, wasn't it?) which he will throw at the enemy when he casts his spell. Alas the Grolle preparations got in the way of finishing him.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 14 Oct 2019, 22:00

A better picture of Feral Cheryl

steve_pickstock  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 15 Oct 2019, 09:22

That Sphinx could lure anyone to her! Great to see those pics at last! It was wll worth the wait!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by PhilC on 15 Oct 2019, 17:59

Yes, this (female) Sphinx is a very nice mini, and your painting makes it very appealing. I'm sure to copy your idea, thank you for the link... and I must hurry before the Brexit :mrgreen:
PhilC  Europe

Posted by Graeme on 15 Oct 2019, 18:23

Funny thing, now that you've reposted the problematic pics I can see the originals that I couldn't see before. They all look great but the lurchers are definitely my favourite.

Enjoy your trip Steve. :-)
Graeme  Australia

Posted by steve_pickstock on 15 Oct 2019, 21:20

Thank you for the kind comments.

Had a game with them tonight, very hard work, my opponent seemed able to activate his units on demand while I only got a couple to start with, however after he had slogged across the table - chewing up two units of scorpions and the zombies with his archers and a yeti, I got Neferkitti into action and she trounced a unit of werewolf/berserkers and beat his general off the table.

So here is the army all laid out, not that it all gets used at once but it allows me to pick and choose.

l:r - scorpions, archers, scorpions, warriors, Neferkitti, warriors, avatars, the wizard, warriors, tomb knights and sea peoples zombies.

Closer views.

This one shows the wizard on the left, on his flying stone platform. This doesn't have any effect in the game, just makes him stand out, and links in with his spell - hitting units with flying stone blocks (yet to be made).

Warriors - I used a GW technical paint to show the corrosion on the shields, but don't ask me what the name of it is.

The Tomb Knights - the kick ass boys in this army.

Neferkitti
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by PhilC on 15 Oct 2019, 21:48

Graeme wrote:Funny thing, now that you've reposted the problematic pics I can see the originals that I couldn't see before. They all look great but the lurchers are definitely my favourite.

Enjoy your trip Steve. :-)

SInce you wrote this comment, I tried once more... and yes, everything's ok !! :-D

Nice battle report, I should have a look at this ruleset.
PhilC  Europe

Posted by steve_pickstock on 20 Nov 2019, 00:10

So tonight a friend and I had a game of Dragon Rampant wherein I used my Tomb King's army. The difference tonight was that I was ready to use the wizard in my mummy army.

This is the guy - floating round on his levitating stone block
He is Amon Bob the pyramid builder and this was how he built the pyramids moving those big stone blocks around. Now he is dead his king is getting Bob to use his skills to brick his enemies.

Here he is with tonight's army

And here is Bob surrounded by his ammunition supply.
The blocks are made from blue polystyrene coated in super glue and then dipped in baking soda which gives are really nice and scale stone surface.

And here is Bob smiting an enemy unit by dropping a rock on them. In the case the rock is the broken end of an obelisk. that broke while they were quarrying it out.

It was a good game - neither side was paerticularly blessed when it came to activating units, but when the activations did happen Bob was really useful, but Neferkitti the Sphinx had a ball eating three enemy units before she got entangled with a bunch of werewolves - cats, dogs - the end is inevitable and she bolted.

The nice thing about Dragon Rampant is that it is a simple system that allows things like Bob. The spell Powerstrike is an offensive spell that allows a wizard to blast an enemy unit up to 18 onches away. The idea for Bob and his rocks came from watching 'Avatar: the Last Air-bender' and the earth-benders in that, that and the fact that everyone knows that that business about professional pyramid builders is just something you see on the History Channel.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 10 Dec 2019, 23:07

So we are getting to the point of the year where the house has to be cleaned and tidied just in case the Baby Jesus decides to drop in. He's never been before but that doesn't stop She Who Must Be Obeyed decreeing that IT all must be tidied away.

Anyway I could not resist slopping paint onto a couple of the figures from Red Box's Steppe Warriors Set No1. In particular a figure that may or may not be the king of Rohan. I should say here that while I was quite annoyed by the film The Two Towers the imagery of Rohan from the film is eminently useable. In real terms it's a nice short hand that says THIS IS ROHAN!.

Anyway the pictures
Theoden, King of Rohan and Snowmane, faithful servant, master's bane.

Theoden and his standard bearer Guthlaf.

Guthlaf is the same figure on a different mount with the sword trimmed off and his hand drilled for a brass rod. The banner was taken off the internet and duplicated into Powerpoint and printed off.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Susofrick on 11 Dec 2019, 09:22

Looks great!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by carlosfaro on 11 Dec 2019, 14:12

Great eorlingas!!!
I am Also waiting for this set.. all of them will join the Royal Guard as simple soldiers as I had already my own Theoden and Bannerbearer ay home:

carlosfaro  

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress