Work in Progress

Antietam 17th September 1862

Posted by Egbert on 10 Jun 2021, 06:53

That's a exellent idea for a conversion Chris.
...and very nicely implemented by you. :-D
Egbert  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Jun 2021, 18:48

Progress

I have been measuring distances in order to start the laying out of the battlefield.

A complete nightmare with different sources using different scales which is understandable but the same source using different scales within its terms of reference?

Bonkers.

What a lovely garage door.

To save my already adled brain I have relied heavily on Mr Frassanito’s wonderful book as he actually worked out where Gardner took his pictures, what angles, distances etc.

The LOC maps are great for the detailed work.

I have used my bean stick method of laying out the principle roads .

The water courses are my usual method and apart from the creek are mercifully few.

The northern end of the field showing showing Mr Millers farm, the Mumma farm and the roof of the roulette farm.

The southern end showing Sharpsburg, the Sherrick and Otto farms.

The Rhorbach bridge will be on a separate section, the frame of which is in the picture.

Lots of manoeuvring to be done, sand pies to be built but it’s a start.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 21 Jun 2021, 21:49

Your photo looks amazing. A Man and his Hobby! I am looking forward to see the next History-Blockbuster.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 21 Jun 2021, 22:23

So much promise!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 22 Jun 2021, 13:06

Agree with Jan and the captain! Great to see! And nice to see a face behind the hobby too.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Egbert on 22 Jun 2021, 13:28

Hey Chris,
it looks like you're playing in a big sandpit! :-D
Nice to see your new garage door.
I am happy that your great work continues!
It will be beautiful again! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Egbert  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Konrad on 22 Jun 2021, 15:41

The man.
The garage.
The plan.
We can be curious. ;-)
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Santi Pérez on 25 Jun 2021, 19:18

It's clear that the complete battlefield will be bigger than almost any car which can occupy that garage, Chris. :mrgreen:

My very best congratulations and all my encouragement for this titanic project that exceeds the expectations of any diorama maker (at least mine). :love: :notworthy:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 25 Jun 2021, 21:00

Best picture of the day! Such a nice garagedoor, pity there is someone in front of it! :joker: :tongue:

What I also like is that you can make your terrain ready for the battle now! Not much to see now but already impressive! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 28 Jun 2021, 17:54

Battlefield preparation

I have now erected the background sheets for the view to the west.

Whilst not completely accurate they are reflective and when the woods are inserted they will have the ‘feel’ of the rolling countryside of this region.

The weather in 1862 was,after a damp night and misty sunrise, sunny so I am happy with this.

I have also preliminary sculpted the main watercourses including the mill race at the middle bridge.

The Nicodemus hill and Hauser ridge are in place along with the principle elevations.

The ground rises gently from the middle bridge to the ridge line and thence down into Sharpsburg. I took a drive with Google Earth along this road with views to the side enroute, very interesting.

The Otto and Sherrick farms are in their approximate positions leading to the mill and town beyond.

The under lying geology of the area is limestone which shows itself on the surface in places.

I found some limestone in the garden and smashed it up ( inside polythene to avoid injury). The LOC. maps are excellent as to the positioning of these rocks, which certainly in the West wood were good cover for the Confederates.

The roads have been roughly positioned using balsa for the sunken lane area.

This is the view north from the Newcomer house towards the North wood and Miller farm.

The ground rises up from the creek before dropping down to the lane itself. This was a primary factor for the bloodbath there in the original battle.

I have a hankering to build the Roulette barn as there is space but we shall see.

It must be noted that whilst the properties far exceed their scale ground space I am trying to replicate the look and the ‘feel’ of the battlefield.

The rules will discount their presence for fire and movement purposes and photographic perspective should provide a realism regarding distances.

Progress.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Peter on 28 Jun 2021, 19:27

Excellent progress Chris! I like it how you show us how you built up the terrain! :thumbup:

But I see there will be no laundry the next few months, you used all the clothespins! What will the misses say? :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bessiere on 29 Jun 2021, 00:43

Thanks for sharing the "dirty work" necessary for your diorama/shoots. I'm certainly interested in every phase of what you do and appreciate you sharing with us.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Minuteman on 29 Jun 2021, 14:26

Very interesting to see how a 'work in progress' on this large scale is put together. It is all most impressive.

I like the buildings very much. Will look forward to more pictures as the landscape of the battlefield emerges from the sand!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by John Simmons on 30 Jun 2021, 16:50

Wonderful stuff, Chris, as always. I'm getting very excited to see all your separate pieces coming together.
Best,
John
John Simmons  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 02 Jul 2021, 17:30

Mr Millers Cornfield

I have been constructing the Miller cornfield, one of the many present on the battlefield.

As previously described the farmers employed a chequer board pattern of sowing.

I tried this but the result is problematic from a visual aspect as the ‘corridors’ for harvesting make the field look very thin.

I decided to place three stalks at each intersection creating the impression of greater density.

This seems to work well but I will scatter my Nigella to replicate the nearly ripe nature of the stalks.

I am very pleased with my snake fencing although some weathering might be appropriate on the diagonals.

Lots to do.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Peter on 03 Jul 2021, 08:11

Excellent made cornfield Chris! :thumbup:

I could have missed it, but did you tell what you used for the corn? :eh:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by John Simmons on 03 Jul 2021, 16:10

Wow. This is the best-looking cornfield in our scale that I've seen. You must be a very patient man to plant all those individual stalks. As you say, there were lots of other cornfields at Sharpsburg, but this was "the" cornfield. Looking forward to seeing the fighting there.
Best, John
John Simmons  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 04 Jul 2021, 06:13

Peter wrote:I could have missed it, but did you tell what you used for the corn? :eh:

Yes! I would like to know as well! :-D
MABO  Europe

Posted by Egbert on 04 Jul 2021, 09:00

Dear Chris,
I only can agree with the others and express my deepest respect to you.
The fields look incredibly fantastic and very natural.
Egbert  Germany

Posted by CPN on 04 Jul 2021, 13:55

Hi Chris,
You are probability the hobby equivalent of the combination of Michel Angelo and Leonardo da Vinci.

Thank you.
CPN
CPN  France

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress