Work in Progress

Antietam 17th September 1862

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Nov 2019, 20:22

Back to the drawing board!

I must firstly thank everyone for their kind words of encouragement. It is the support and suggestions of the forum that keep up the levels of motivation.

I mulled over the discrepancy and thought why spoil the ship for a half pence of tar?

So, after cutting and dismantling I have extended the width by one centimetre which drops the roof level.

Hey presto!

A more realistic Roulette Farm....hopefully.
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 05 Nov 2019, 22:25

Wonderfull! :love:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 06 Nov 2019, 10:21

Totally wonderful! Just for the missus and me to move in when it's finished!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 10 Nov 2019, 15:27

The rebuilt building is nearly ready to go apart from some touch ups revealed by the pictures.

I have commenced the lower section which will sit in the sand as per the original.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 19 Nov 2019, 17:06

More generals.

I have been chopping and swapping in order to create Divisional commanders and ADCs for the Army of Northern Virginia.

Stretlets have some good figures but they are rather chunky.

However, the Italieri figures are very good and the faces when amputated are most useful.

Napoleonic Italieri horses, suitably sliced are good for the more senior figures.

Also, I have been experimenting with the unravelled picture frame wire. When knotted on the limbers they make an excellent set of traces.

These, as opposed to the cotton used at Quatre Bras, can be positioned and will hold their rigidity allowing the horses to be moved around without everything dangling and getting tangled.

Lots to do.

Posted by Bill Slavin on 19 Nov 2019, 21:08

Fascinating to see your progression. And I have to say, I love the house. Your buildings are amazing.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Nov 2019, 09:19

Looks great! But it seems to be an IMEX figure among the Italeri! Never mind, they all look splendid!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by C M Dodson on 20 Nov 2019, 09:24

Thank you guys for your kind words.

In the chopping and swopping no manufacturer is immune!

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 20 Nov 2019, 20:05

Henry Piper Farm

Located behind what is now known as ‘Bloody Lane’ lies the HenryPiper Farm.

Henry Piper married Elizabeth in 1822 and purchased their tenanted Farm in 1854.

Mr Piper, known as ‘Stovepipe’ after his fondness for hats was to have six children and was an avowed a Unionist despite owning slaves.

On the afternoon of the 15th the Piper family were visited by Generals D H Hill and J Longstreet who dined there. Following the generals advice they left for their safety to his brothers mill.

Upon their return they found the farm damaged and the stock gone. A claim for $2488.85 damages was submitted, but apparently in vain.

The farm was purchased by the park authority in 1964 for $75000.

The present farm building according to the Library of Congress is very different to the 1862 version.

Imageq

I have found a lovely picture of the property in 1864 following the addition of the corner wing.

Therefore the building is based on this without the extension.

I have also built, as this is a smaller property, the slave and kitchen house.

Hopefully, there will be room for the barn, a much smaller and less ornate building than the one that stands now.

Lots to do

Posted by Peter on 20 Nov 2019, 21:02

Found this on FB, Chris. A 360° picture of the bridge.

https://www.facebook.com/CivilWarscapes ... =3&theater
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 20 Nov 2019, 23:23

Thank you Peter.

Very useful to see the steepness of the bluff that Mr Toombs and his merry men defended so well.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Susofrick on 21 Nov 2019, 10:45

Projects like these make me love this forum even more! Great work, Chris!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by C M Dodson on 25 Nov 2019, 17:28

Henry Piper Farm and slave quarters

I have now completed the two principal buildings.

Some tidying up but I am quite pleased with them.

Posted by Bessiere on 25 Nov 2019, 23:13

Great work on the buildings! It's great that you are doing so much research to fill out the details of the battlefield and the men who will fight and die over it.
Since I live in Virginia, should you or anyone else have need of red clay it's everywhere here and I would be happy to provide as much as you want. A good dusting of it is necessary to make realistic troops fighting in Va. The civil war has been my main study for over 40 years now so I'm really happy to see you working on this! After seeing what you did with Waterloo I know this will be sensational.
PS - McClellan was a wuss. He had Lee by the short ones and let go. The war might have ended there but instead turned in to a tragic comedy at the expense of the soldiers.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 26 Nov 2019, 04:12

These buildings are looking great, Chris. Finding a picture like the 1864 photo must have been a wonderful moment. Looking forward to seeing more!

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bessiere on 26 Nov 2019, 06:10

I forgot to add the fight at the bloody lane is to me the most poignant and heroic moment in the entire battle among countless acts of bravery. John Brown Gordon is my favorite commander of all time. Any man shot 4 times and still standing under fire commanding troops is worthy of remembrance.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 26 Nov 2019, 07:36

Thank you gentlemen for your very kind comments .

Thank you also to Bessiere for your kind offer.

My wife is not keen, sorry!

I had not given much thought to soil types as I had planned to reflect the limestone nature of the geology with some outcrops.

However a visit to the Antietam park service led me to discover that the spoils are of the ‘ Hagerstown’ variety.

I found a link,

https://soilseries.sc.egov.usda.gov/OSD ... STOWN.html

Which explains the soils and colours present.

For the ploughed fields, brown seems correct.

Fascinating stuff and yes, Mr Brown was a hard chap to knock down. A Minnie ball in the mouth is a very big day out in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Bessiere on 26 Nov 2019, 16:13

I didn''t mean to suggest you needed red clay for your Antietam project but it may be pertinent to the idea that many of the Confederates had no shoes and their feet were stained by the soils they had marched through. It also stains clothing pretty badly. Glad to know you are familiar with Gordon's illustrious history, too few are even aware of his command at Antietam.

Posted by C M Dodson on 26 Nov 2019, 16:34

Hell Mr B.

Thank you again for your suggestion.

Certainly, the Confederates in the hot weather were apparently greatly fatigued and an allowance was made for lack of footwear when it came to straggling.

I like my troops to be filthy and your suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 26 Nov 2019, 16:36

Confederate Gun battery

I fancied a break from buildings and decided to see what one of my gun batteries looked like on camera.

I am quite pleased with this quick scene. The camera, as usual, has found the flaws which will be rectified.

The crew are from the genius known as Massimo and the Parrott cannon is the excellent Speira product.

Decent team crews seem very scare so I converted my own. Art Miniturian horses provide the muscle and the commander is Stretlets.

The target is my home town!

Chris

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress