Work in Progress

Antietam 17th September 1862

Posted by C M Dodson on 14 Mar 2021, 20:10

Hi MABO and thank you for your kind comment.

I am working on a ratio of one figure equals twenty.

Whilst brigade sizes varied I am working on a unit size of approximately fifty men for the infantry, unless such as the Irish Brigade they were substantially bigger than normal.

All unit sizes are from Ezra Carmen who was present and made it his life’s work to document this battle.

There were five US cavalry brigades in Pleasonton’s corps numbering 3828 effectives.

Only the 4th Pennsylvania were engaged representing half of the third brigade.

I thought twenty/ five would be about right to represent these men.

For artillery I am working on five or six crew per gun. It might not be correct at 1/20 but the look of the thing is important to me.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 14 Mar 2021, 22:13

Thanks Chris. Still a lot to do... :yeah:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 15 Mar 2021, 11:51

This is great to follow!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by C M Dodson on 16 Mar 2021, 10:06

Conversions

I have been revisiting some of my childhood Airfix figures and have reinstated a few by way of a bit of light chopping.

I am pleased with the surrendering group but am thinking that the Japanese chap would be better with greenstuff to cover his arms.

The WW1 German turned out well and the use of Revell artillery tops on Italieri bottoms has given a selection of artillery drivers.

Mansfield had two sharpshooter companies in his Corps.

My very good friend Thomas Mischak sent me this lovely picture along with a couple of painted Speria figures .

I thought a little chopping might emulate the flavour of the scene and am pleased with the result.

The idea of PVA glue filling any join gaps is inspired, thank you.

Starting to get there.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Bessiere on 16 Mar 2021, 21:19

Very nice conversions Mr D! I love the atypical poses you achieve and agree with you about the Jap on the right - too many pockets and buttons makes it look modern. Nothing a couple blobs of white glue wouldn't fix eh? Carry on the fine work, we know the end result will be an Antietam display par excellence. Very much looking forward to seeing it which reminds me- do you have a date to put it together or is it "when it is ready, it is ready"?
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 17 Mar 2021, 08:44

Thank you Mr B for your kind comments.

My garage door is due for replacement within the next month whereupon I will be in a position to start landscaping.

I need to construct an extension to the table for the Rhorbach bridge section and also the ridge behind the middle bridge which was used as a US artillery gun platform.

IF .... after constructing these areas, Der Feldmarschall does not kill me for taking up more space, I will be commencing hostilities.

Best wishes,

Chris

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 18 Mar 2021, 22:47

"Der Feldmarschall" of you, gives critic on your work not on the space you take. She's a fine lady that helps you! ;-) :-D

Nice work on those conversions Chris! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 30 Mar 2021, 18:24

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments.

Cardboard and conversions

After my preliminary positioning on my sand table I felt that I could expand the Sherrick farm a little and decided upon the summer kitchen as a small but effective build.

The Library of Congress as stated before is a treasure trove of information including technical drawings and picture records, fantastic.

My cut up cardboard box, decorators caulk and Wills plastic tiling along with a balsa and caulk chimney have been most pleasing in coming together to make this little structure.

I was going to drill the ventilation brick holes but they are so small I used ink.

In the meantime I have rejuvenated an old Airfix US cavalry officer from my childhood. He has a new Italieri head, pistol and scabbard and looks very dashing.

An Airfix commando conversion from who knows when got a repaint as a fleeing Blue Belly.

I did a bit of chopping and swapping for the US prisoners who I feel look quite natural.

Head and body swaps contributed the artillery officers, Stretlets ex Zouave assisting and the Polish walking wounded.

I have also painted a new ‘Traveller’ for Marse Robert as research suggested he was a lighter grey than originally thought.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by MABO on 30 Mar 2021, 19:39

The officer looks really dashing! Cool conversion.
MABO  Europe

Posted by dykio on 30 Mar 2021, 20:23

fascenating what can be achieved with cutting and gluing al kinds of figs together. You do really a fantastic job with all of them :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Mar 2021, 01:26

Chris,that is a splendid little building. :thumbup: Bravo! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Egbert on 31 Mar 2021, 19:17

Hello Chris,
these are wonderful conversions again that you show us.
Most of the figures are unrecognizable and you can guess which original figure is behind them.
Come on...I'm looking forward to more.
Egbert  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 16 Apr 2021, 16:45

Yesterday, as a total surprise I received a gift from Egbert through the post.

I am completely overwhelmed by such an unexpected act of generosity especially as these figures are not only special but painted to an excellent standard.

Unfortunately the brilliantly represented Captain Fremantle, a genuine ‘war tourist’ as he had no official capacity and indeed was on leave during his 1863 tour of the war zones was not present at Antietam.

I will have a think about how I can use him.

Mr Lincoln looks resplendent and the Longstreet has his trademark cigar.

I am thinking of scenarios for them and can not thank Egerbt enough .

Still awaiting news on my garage door.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Egbert on 16 Apr 2021, 18:36

Hey Chris,
I'm all the more happy when I could make you happy.
I am convinced that you have a use for the figures
and that you have an idea how to incorporate them into your diorama!
Egbert  Germany

Posted by MABO on 16 Apr 2021, 20:23

Wow Egbert, the old Debbeler figures. I have them as well. Golden times with the Fuhrmann brothers paradies. I can imagine, that Chris will made some cool characters.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 16 Apr 2021, 22:23

I go away for a few days and come back to find all this amazing progress, bravo Chris!!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 17 Apr 2021, 04:01

Wonderful conversions and an amazing gift from Egbert. High praise indeed Mr. D that Egbert would donate those gorgeous figures to you; they will add some special touches to your Antietam battle for sure.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 17 Apr 2021, 08:35

Great gift with some wonderfull painted figures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 26 Apr 2021, 18:40

Light artillery, casualties and doors

The light artillery were the equivalent of the ‘ horse artillery’ of Napoleonic times, assigned to the cavalry as opposed to infantry support.

As the middle bridge saw these troops in action, I decided to manufacture from Revel artillery and Itallieri cavalrymen some riders to accompany the guns.

I am very pleased with the commanding officer.

More chopping has provided extra battlefield horror. Whilst as stated before I do not think much of waving rifled muskets around like baseball bats I could not resist gluing an Esci chap to an Imex one for a more dynamic pose.

When I visited Antietam with Der Feldmarschall in 2002 I discovered a wonderful book, ‘Battle in the Civil War’ which has lots of superb drawings which provide stimulus to the imagination as well as being a mine of information.

Good news on the garage door front. It will be fitted in a few weeks time and I can then start measuring out and sculpting.

Progress!

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 26 Apr 2021, 20:59

Never has a garage door been needed more quickly!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress