Work in Progress

Antietam 17th September 1862

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Jan 2021, 15:05

Baxter’s Fire Zouaves

Formed in August 1861 by Colonel Edward D Baker, a powerful Congressman and friend of Abraham Lincoln, they originally formed part of four regiments representing California.

It was a large unit comprising fifteen companies rather than the usual ten.

However, after the Battle of Balls Bluff where Baker was killed, the unit returned to the umbrella of Pennsylvania serving in the second Brigade, second Division Second Corps under the command of Colonel DeWitt, Clinton Baxter.

I have used mainly the Hat Zouave offering with some Italieri troops and a few Kennington ones as well.

Head swaps to Kepis and a much chopped Baxter from the Hat Civil War command, a French WW1 officer’s face for him along with an Italieri Kepi complete the unit.

Troiani states that the units trousers were standard Kersey wear but I have ad libbed a bit by using the Zouave trousers of the production figures.

I do not feel it detracts from the look of the unit. Colonel DeWitt seems happy despite losing a row of buttons.

Lots to do.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 05 Jan 2021, 15:37

Very nice, Chris, everyone loves a Zouave!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 05 Jan 2021, 16:35

Wonderfull unit again! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by huib on 05 Jan 2021, 17:57

Nice figures, Chris.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by MABO on 06 Jan 2021, 00:00

Conversion does a good job for Baxter, I think. Great work on this unit again!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bessiere on 06 Jan 2021, 00:01

Excellent job on these Zouaves!
Bessiere  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 07 Jan 2021, 00:48

Terrific looking Zouaves and, once again, you have done a great job of creating a personality fifgure for the commander.

The Zouave trousers look good and it looks like that recruitment poster shows Zouave trousers so why not go with the contemporary image?
Graeme  Australia

Posted by C M Dodson on 14 Jan 2021, 16:46

Straw stacks. Part two .

I was not convinced about my haystacks and further research into them has proved interesting.

The Smithsonian has several pictures of them which contradict the Gettysburg cyclorama versions. Mr Philippoteaux was French and I wonder if his interpretation was based on the French style?

The Antietam area was heavily Germanic and these pole based structures are still used today.

My wonderful wife, Der Feldmarschall found this great site from our railway modelling friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PinjmITv_Y

I used a hand crafted cardboard tower with a central disk to support a cocktail stick otherwise the the technique is exactly the same.

A little trimming required according to the camera but much better than the Mark one haystack in the background.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 14 Jan 2021, 17:12

Dear Chris, funnily enough I do have a similar haystack in my Plancenoit diorama - this one made of long teddy bear fur which allows the hay to flow downwards much as a thatched roof would, to prevent water ingress.

You can just see it at the back of my orchard

Posted by C M Dodson on 14 Jan 2021, 18:00

Good point!

I can see a Mark three developing.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Kekso on 15 Jan 2021, 17:43

Cool haystacks
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 15 Jan 2021, 18:17

Straw Stacks part Three!

My friend the good General has pointed out that a thatch type roof would be required for haystacks to keep the water out.

Oblivious really, but I got a bit carried away by our railway modeller friend.

When I commenced this project I had no idea that my research would take into the realms of agriculture, sawmilling, road building etc.

Fascinating stuff.

Anyway, having watched various U Tube films on the differences between straw and hay together with tutorials on how to build a real one I have redesigned mine with some grass additions.

I am quite pleased with the end result.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 15 Jan 2021, 22:38

Well done Chris, heading in the right direction. I did a bit of research on this myself: http://generalpicton.blogspot.com/2019/10/haystack.html

The only point I would make is that each strand looks quite long relative to the height of the man, and perhaps too blond, although I'm sure some paint can quickly correct this latter point; otherwise, this gives the impression of Debbie Harry photographed from behind, or a large sporran.

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Jan 2021, 09:15

Poor Boris needs quite a trim! As for the hay stack it's A OK, but needs a little bit of extra work to please the passing eye.
Trim shorter pieces and ring and overlap each layer with a good final lift off lid to top them off. This is how i taught my students back in my own hay-day of play. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 20 Jan 2021, 19:56

Preliminaries

I have now cleared Quatre Bras away and wanted to see how it fits together on my table.

I therefore placed some of the principal buildings in their approximate positions to see how the ‘feel’ was.

Apart from the Newcomer house which may need reducing in size and the orientation of North and South to maximise the relevant terrain area I feel that things are progressing in the right direction.

Topography and landscaping will be undertaken once my new garage door is fitted.

I will also need terrain extensions for the Rhorbach bridge assault area and the Union artillery on the Newcomer heights.

Both views looking roughly north towards the Miller and Nicodemus farms.

[url=https://postimg.cc/879YJLLt]Image[/

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 20 Jan 2021, 20:21

The groundwork looks fantastic - authentically North American - and your buildings look terrific.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 20 Jan 2021, 20:33

Thank you Captain, you are most kind.

Just to be clear, the sand table is what is left of Quatre Bras.

I have just done a few measurements and arranged the buildings roughly to get an idea of what I will need to do.

The cemetery ridge, Dunker eminence, Rhorbach heights etc will all be sculpted in the fullness of time, after the new door.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Peter on 20 Jan 2021, 23:09

Hurry up with that new garage door! We want to see some progress on the groundwork! :-D

Looks good so far Chris! Except the garage door. That one looks ugly! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Egbert on 21 Jan 2021, 18:14

Hey Chris,
it real looks fantastic…I think it gets wonderful!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Egbert  Germany

Posted by John Simmons on 22 Jan 2021, 16:40

Converting plastic figures is one of my favorite pastimes, Chris. I just wish I could do it as well (and paint the resulting conversions as well) as you do. Keep it up!

John
John Simmons  United States of America

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress