Work in Progress

Antietam 17th September 1862

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Jul 2020, 15:14

Confederate cavalry and artillery drivers

I have been very privileged to receive some rare Gulliver figures from Egbert and Wolfgang Meyer.

I have painted some of these up as cavalry and also artillery drivers.

Personally, I think the horses, which are of the galloping variety are not as good as the Italieri ones and have reserved them for casualties.

Horse hair makes good reins.

The chap at the end was a Revell saluting figure before his new life.

The other drivers are a mixture of Hat Austrians and a Zvevda fellow.

Sharp eyes may spot the two Airfix WW1 RHA artillery chaps from my youth with new heads and greenstuff.

Thank you once again to Egbert and Wolfgang for their kindness.

Lots to do.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 13 Jul 2020, 17:17

Model 1841 12Pdr Howitzer

According to Ezra Carmen the Confederates deployed fifty six of these pieces at Antietam.

Designed as a howitzer it was superseded by the Napoleon which could fire all types of ammunition thus making it obsolete.

I was not going to use this piece but after seeing an interesting article on the Stretlets forum I purchased some Jacklex cannon which are great value.

The Jacklex gun is a nice scale model but the trail is very thin.

The barrel and wheels are great so I thought 12Pdr howitzer!

I want my cannon to look the part so I carved up the axle assembly on the Italieri gun to reduce its width.

The Jacklex wheels with the correct fourteen spokes were then fitted along with the Jacklex barrel.

It is a source of bewilderment why producers create products that are inaccurate, such as the wrong amount of spokes on a wheel.

My rope trick, chain and an elevating screw from the Stretlets Whitworth set completed the gun.

I am pleased with this conversion.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by Peter on 13 Jul 2020, 21:34

It stays a fantastic project. I have lots to see, while you have lots to do! :-D :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 17 Jul 2020, 12:00

Overwhelming generosity

My very good friend Thomas Mischak has sent me an early Christmas present and I am overwhelmed!

Thomas is primarily a Napoleonics man, but has spent his time and money helping me with my Antietam project.

I am genuinely overwhelmed by his generosity as a fellow modeller and human being.

A parcel arrived this morning and amongst the goodies were Speira wounded, a lovely officer conversion, gravestones for the Antietam cemetery and Walling.

A special order of his from Ingo is for an idea I have for a picture with the Irish brigade, outstanding.

Gulliver cavalry and some vegetation completes my treat.

The painting standard is light years above mine and I feel humbled by this kindness.

I will strive to do them and Thomas justice.

Lots to do,

Chris

Posted by Peter on 19 Jul 2020, 22:04

What a gift! :shock: Three cheers for Thomas! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Jul 2020, 13:42

Washington Artillery ( New Orleans ).

Founded in 1838 this unit was the oldest Louisiana military formation originally trained to fight as infantry as well as artillery.

Initially formed from the elite of society these men served the guns whilst the drivers were from poorer stock.

They were a disciplined unit with four companies fighting in the ANV and a fifth in the Western theatre.

They were Originally uniformed in a dark blue frock coat, sky blue trousers and their to be famous blue and red hats.

By Antietam they had lost the original appearance but retained the hats and a reputation for efficiency.

Forming part of Longstreets artillery reserve under Col. J.B. Walton they were a formidable fighting force.

The main armament ( from J M Priest, Antietam, the soldiers tale) seems to have been a mixture of howitzers and Napoleons. I have therefore given them two of each.

I have utilised several manufacturers for the men and have included some conversions too.

Lots to do.

Chris

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 21 Jul 2020, 15:46

They look great. Weren't those the same boys blasting the Federals from Marye's heights at Frederickburg? If I recall correctly)

Wasn't this also when Longstreet was serving the guns in a slipper?
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Jul 2020, 17:04

Hello Mr B and thank you for your kind comments.

Yes, Longstreets aides helped man the guns by the Piper Farm whilst ‘Pete’ directed their fire in his slipper.

They also defended Maryes Heights at the first and ‘second’ battles of Fredericksburg.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 28 Jul 2020, 12:25

114 Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry

Collins Zouaves, Zouaves d’Afrique

The Zouave regiments add a splash of colour as well as dash to a Union army in my opinion.

Two units engaged at the original action, Baxter’s fire Zouaves and the 9th New York, Hawkins Zouaves were fairly sombrely dressed.

However, the only unit in the famous red trousers engaged, seems to be the one company of the 114th Infantry.

Charles H.T. Collis a Pennsylvanian lawyer raised a company, entitled the Chasseurs d’Afrique in 1861 as a bodyguard to General N.P. Banks.

The company was drilled in Zouave tactics and forged a reputation as an effective fighting force in various engagements leading up to Antietam.

However, during the Antietam campaign Collis had travelled to Philadelphia to organise the formation of the 114th Infantry Regiment leaving the company attached to the 2nd Massachusetts Infantry regiment.

The Chasseurs First Lieutenant had been arrested for drunkenness, the 2nd Lieutenant had been captured and the command had devolved to a Fifth sergeant George Doriot.

You can not make this stuff up!

I had hoped that I could model the whole regiment but it’s first action at full strength was Fredericksburg.

I therefore have taken the liberty of making a small unit up from SHQ figures which I will attach to a Union unit in the Twelfth Corps. Sergeant Doriot has been promoted by myself.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 30 Jul 2020, 12:57

Sharpsburg high street.

The town of Sharpsburg was officially created by a Joseph Chapline Jr in 1763 with a natural spring determining its location. The ‘big’ or ‘great’ spring had long been a water source for the Indians and settlers alike.

It is my intention to only have the entrance to the town, by the Lutherin church, displayed on my battlefield as the main actions took place elsewhere.

Nevertheless it is significant and so I have constructed some buildings as per Gardner’s photo.

It is noticeable that the buildings are of a much more basic nature but that is perhaps indicative of most urban areas as you approach them, with the finer edifices nearer the centre.

Hopefully, I have now finished building, buildings.

However, when I set out the landscape ( eventually) I will take a view about the Mumma and Roulette barns.

At last, progress!

Chris

Posted by Konrad on 30 Jul 2020, 17:12

As always, I am deeply impressed by the amount of figs and the attention to detail.
I also admire the discipline and persistence with which you advance your projects.
My respect.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jul 2020, 22:22

Smashing troops old and new.
Yes. and wonderful in every highest degree! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Rich W on 01 Aug 2020, 10:08

Keep up the wonderful progress Chris. Can't wait to see it all come to fruition!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 04 Aug 2020, 09:45

Lots to see again! Go on Chris! :-D

All is wonderfull. The figures, the buildings and so on! :thumbup:

As you say, you still have lots to do! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 03 Sep 2020, 12:53

Boom, Bang, Crash

The American Civil War is often referred to as the first industrial war because of the many innovations in technology, engineering and logistics that were applied in pursuance of the war aims.

One of the major battlefield developments was the improvement in rifled weaponry and the rapid expansion of explosive ordnance.

Traditionally an artillery battery would have several solid shot cannons and a few howitzers to fire common shell. Shrapnel, a Napoleonic invention was also a variant on the common shell principal.

Nevertheless the bursting charge of these devices was still gunpowder, classified as a low explosive.

A low explosive is essentially a chemically induced gas expansion at subsonic speeds, whilst a high explosive is supersonic.

I have seen all sorts of interpretations of gunpowder explosions, some bordering on semi nuclear.

However, the best analogy I can think of is the humble ‘banger’ of my childhood.

Essentially, a cardboard tube of gunpowder with a short fuse once lit exploded with a loud bang, a cloud of smoke and a stink of bad eggs.

This link will stir many a memory.

https://epicfireworks.com/blogs/news/firework-bangers

This I would suggest is a classic gunpowder explosion albeit without the metal shards and debris.

For Antietam along with the traditional round shot I will need to represent the effect of explosive ordnance.

I have used thin wire with a ‘puff’ of cotton wool with yellow and red dots on a to represent aerial activity. The ‘throw’ effect is forward, naturally.

Ground explosions are created by finely stretching heated sprue to length.

I then glued the sections into a V shape and painted white.

I used a dollop of decorators caulk, painted brown for the base which will be buried in the sand.

Thin cotton wool teased out, decorated with chinchilla dust and or sand creates the debris field.

A light spray of hair spray helps adhesion and a few specks of yellow and red at the base simulate the ignition.

My poor Reb is being unfairly targeted.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by Peter on 03 Sep 2020, 13:00

It looks realistic Chris! Niceeeeeeeeee! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 03 Sep 2020, 13:32

A good magician never gives away his secrets Mr D or before you know it everyone will be using it. Now I cant imagine who would have need of such arcane knowledge :oops: but I do appreciate you sharing some of your magic with us. Keep some secrets for yourself and let others do the hard work of trial and error to get the effect they're looking for. I cant wait to see the finished Antietam battle, it;s going to be a doozy. Cheers, Bessiere :thumbup:
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Sep 2020, 15:00

Yes all good interesting stuff to view and read Chris. Well Done. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Egbert on 05 Sep 2020, 11:02

Nice idea...looks very good.
Egbert  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 25 Sep 2020, 18:58

Conversions

I have been chopping and swopping again.

The Newline bare headed gunners are most useful for transforming some pretty ugly looking figures into something far more acceptable.

Whilst I am not a great fan of swinging muskets around, it’s a most inefficient use of what is effectively a spear, the Pegasus Napoleonics do convert nicely with a bit of greenstuff for rolls and canteens etc.

This is me with a said Springfield.

Incidentally, I came across this ‘making of’ link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdmU_f6HTw

Fascinating stuff and whilst clips are on U Tube I can not seem to locate the full article.

Any help would be appreciated before I e mail the NPS at Antietam.

Lots to do.

Chris

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress