Work in Progress

Antietam 17th September 1862

Posted by Egbert on 13 Mar 2020, 12:51

Nice to see that your work continues! :-D
I'm already looking forward to the next pictures of your construction progress. :-)
Egbert  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 13 Mar 2020, 21:00

The Joshua Newcomer House

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments.

The further I explore this battle the more fascinating it becomes.

Located slightly west of the Orndorff ( middle ) bridge over the Antietam creek on the Boonsborough Pike, the building was originally built in the late 1780’s by Christian Orndorff 11. This picture shows the property on the left hand side looking towards the bridge. The heights were occupied by Union artillery.

His father lived next door in a property that is no longer present. The creek, diverted through a race served as the power source for a grist and sawmill facility.

There was a large barn there too.

This view is of a long gone toll house looking down to the bridge from the Union side of the river with the barn in the distance.

Following various owners the property was bought by Joshua Newcomer in 1853. The enterprise was very successful with the property being valued at $10,000 in 1860. A huge sum for those days.

In 1862 with the impending battle drawing near the family left the property for safety elsewhere. The damage afterwards was significant but because it was difficult to prove who had caused it he only received $145 from a claim of $3097.15!

This, somewhat fanciful picture with a mill that looks nothing like Mr Gardeners picture taken just days after the battle was discovered by my wonderful wife, Der Feldmarschall.

This part of the battlefield saw limited action as McCellan, partly due to Pinkerton’s (of the agency fame) inflated Rebel strength reports and his own caution.

Reports suggested that McClellan thought Lee could mount a massive attack here ala Malvern Hill and hence the defensive nature of Fifth Corps on the 17th.

I felt that the bridge and house will tie the battlefield together as the Rohrbach bridge is a bit out on a limb otherwise. I will have a think about the mill or barn depending on footprint later.

Whilst there are some nice pictures of the property, Google Earth was most useful in looking at the rear of the property especially.

I have decided to alter the rear slightly regarding the amount of windows as I do not want an office block.

The present property has shutters. Although the 1862 pictures do not look like shutters are present I wonder if they are closed giving the impression of not being there.

I will take a view nearer to completion.

Happy modelling.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 17 Mar 2020, 15:10

12Pdr Parrott rifled cannon

These weapons were deployed as long range artillery, principally on the heights above the Antietam creek.

The cannon was not well regarded being described as too light for siege work and too heavy for field work, not a good recommendation.

It gets worse....

Despite being supplied with the best fuses the piece was described as inaccurate with a propensity to burst just before the breech band.

Indeed the concerns led to the replacement of these pieces after Antietam in the Army of the Potomac by 3inch ordnance rifles and 10Pdr Parrotts.

I initially was going to get some of the lovely Speria 30Pdr pieces to use for the refight.

Unfortunately however the tube is massive and the carriage totally different from its 20Pdr cousin.

I looked upon the Revell British Artillery pieces and decided that with a bit of chopping they would provide a good carriage.

The tube is a piece of wire with greenstuff applied around it, hollowed at the end and left to dry. The breech and cascable are then added with a touch hole.

The rope is cotton wound around a former and added along with the chain.

I need to build the trunnions and clean up the tube before painting but the result is pleasing so far.

Lots to do

Posted by C M Dodson on 17 Mar 2020, 15:10

Apologies I have typed 12 instead of 20.

Whoops... Chris

Posted by Susofrick on 17 Mar 2020, 16:20

Said it before, but I am very fond of your neat model houses! Very nice progression! Ah, yes! Your soldiers looks very good too! Will be great to see it all together!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Egbert on 17 Mar 2020, 16:39

Indeed very nice...again great done from you!
Egbert  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Mar 2020, 15:14

Parrotts part two

I built up the trunnions with Greenstuff and following fitting, topped them with tissue paper brackets.

The elevating handle was made by twisting some picture wire into a bow, placing over the cut down plastic spike, pulling tight and then cutting the ends to size.

The end result, whilst not a 100 % is to my mind quite pleasing.

I have built up three cannon as my Union batteries will comprise of three pieces, whilst the Confederates will be two.

Incidentally I found this wonderful picture of PART of a Union battery.

It makes you realise how much space these guys took up in real life as against the usual war gaming interpretation.

Happy modelling.

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Mar 2020, 21:18

Conversions

The recent Stretlets ACW releases have some lovely individual poses that readily lend themselves to chopping.

Also, swapping bits of Imex and Revell can be rewarding.

Mounting Stretlets tops on Italieri US and CSA cavalry has given some extra poses for the Divisional staff.

Lots to do.

Dr. Chris Frankenstein

Posted by Bessiere on 24 Mar 2020, 00:32

I immediately thought of Dr. Frankenstein before reading the comments. The difference being you don't create monsters but completely unique figures (not available anywhere else!). very nice. The parrots are excellent too - I've seen dozens of them touring every major battle site in Virginia though Napoleons tend to be park favorites.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 24 Mar 2020, 10:10

I'm not only fond of your houses, I'm fond of your figures too! Great following this!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Mar 2020, 12:23

Joshua Newcomer farm Part two.

I have completed the edifice and whilst removing the porch I think it has the ‘feel’ of the original.

Upon reflection it, because of the shutters is a little larger than I would have liked and as a result it’s footprint is exaggerated.

I will construct the bridge and take a view as to the other structures in the pictures. A shame, but as stated before the size and wealth on display for 1862 is staggering.

The girls are being nosey again.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 28 Mar 2020, 15:20

Antietam( Orndorff ) Bridge

Located on the Boonsborough pike east of Sharpsburg, crossing the Antietam creek the bridge was built in 1824 by a Silas Harry, replacing a previous wooden structure as part of the ‘Turnpike boom ‘ bringing further prosperity to the region.

The construction was stone and the structure lasted until it was replaced by an iron bridge following the ‘ Johnstown flood’ of 1889.

The bridge was witness to the Confederate retreat from South Mountain as well as a limited foray by the Union forces on the 17th.

These pictures were taken by Alexander Gardner after the battle. Along with the Newcomer pictures it is noticeable that the terrain is very undulating.

The ladies having a picnic must have had stout noses as the field would not have been cleared completely only five days after the action.

To my mind apart from the entrance and exit the bridge is very similar to the Rhorbach ( Burnside) bridge.

I therefore used a duplicate cardboard centre section that I retained from the previous build.

On this occasion rather than use decorators caulk I tried DAS air drying clay.

Personally it is not for me. The stuff cracks as it drys, warps the cardboard and I had to start again with decorators caulk which I find to be a friendlier medium.

The bridge was built up as per the Rhorbach project and the ‘wings’ have been added.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by Bessiere on 28 Mar 2020, 19:54

I admire your scratchbuilds and figure mods very much. Just 2 parts of a much bigger project that you manage to create magic with. ok, i'm a fanboy, I must admit. Poor Gen. Toombs will have his hands full very soon and the bridge will get a fast red paint job..
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 29 Mar 2020, 08:22

I am fan of this project as well and I am really looking forward to the epic final result, which will be a sequell to the already legendary Napoleonic Movies you made for your fancrowd here at Bennos!
MABO  Europe

Posted by C M Dodson on 29 Mar 2020, 14:47

Orndorff Bridge Part two

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments.

I have now completed the bridge in a similar colour scheme to the Rhorbach ( Burnside) bridge and am quite pleased with it.

Happy modelling.

Chris

Posted by MABO on 29 Mar 2020, 21:19

Looking good and very natural.
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 30 Mar 2020, 08:34

Confederate cavalry and generals

I bought these exquisite figures from Germania Figuran through Fredicus Rex.

They are designed as the 1st Virginia cavalry and also feature J.E.B. Stuart and J B Hood.

I have used them generically.

The pack comes with paper reins but I used horse hair which seems to have worked well.

The figures are resin which is very delicate and brittle.

Also, you need to make your own bases which is a bit of a pain.

If they were metal they would be world class in my opinion.

Lots to do,

Chris

Posted by Susofrick on 30 Mar 2020, 10:47

This project is something to cheer us up! Definitely! Great work!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Rich W on 30 Mar 2020, 11:48

As always Chris, your attention to detail is second to none and quite frankly puts me to shame! Your progress is swift-how many hours a day or week are you spending on this project?
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 30 Mar 2020, 15:09

Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments.

The lock down in the UK allows lots of time after doing jobs to keep Der Feldmarschall happy.

Everything overlaps so to speak as the project rolls on.

However, much to her dismay I am still building troops for Quatre Bras as this is project is reaching its climax.

I need to get back to Belgium but the garage is freezing at the moment!

Never a dull moment.

Best wishes,

Chris

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress