Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 26 Nov 2019, 21:19

Wonderful work! :thumbup: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Bluefalchion on 26 Nov 2019, 21:46

Love that checkered shirt!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bessiere on 26 Nov 2019, 22:51

That really caught me too. Many of the rebs wore homespun and uniformity was limited to shooting at Unionists.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 26 Nov 2019, 23:51

Thought that town looked pretty 21st Century!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 27 Nov 2019, 09:37

Hi Bill.

It’s my home town.

The picture is a test shot to find the flaws.

The mould line on a chaps hat for instance.

If you expand the pictures it is amazing what corrections you’re eyes automatically have made.

The camera is merciless however.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 04 Dec 2019, 16:56

The Sherrick Farm

Built around 1835 and located east of the Roman bridge, en route to Sharpsburg lies the Joseph Sherrick Farm, adjacent to the Otto Farm.

This picture was,taken four days after the battle by our friend Mr Gardner.

Joseph and Sarah Sherrick abandoned their prosperous farm upon the arrival of the Confederate forces whereupon, being between the lines it was looted by Union forces prior to the battle.

However, $3000 in gold, hidden by Joseph in a stone wall survived the engagement!

The farm house is a brick affair with a substantial cellar complex exposed on two sides.

The NPS has recently renovated the property to its Civil War appearance.

The property features an unusual roof with twin rear chimney and a wrap around veranda to the side.

Once again the LOC has some wonderful reference material for the amateur builder.

I constructed the main property as per usual and then built the veranda separately.

The basement area has been constructed on two sides as my sand table will provide the ‘hill’ for it to sit in.

I have commenced the painting but there is still a lot to do tidying it up and putting it together.

Personally I am not happy about the width of the ridge tiles compared to the original. The camera never lies!

Posted by C M Dodson on 04 Dec 2019, 16:57

Stubby fingers again. Roman should read Rodman ( Burnside) bridge.

Whoops.

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 10 Dec 2019, 15:44

Sherrick Farm 2

The property is largely finished but as usual my ‘friend’ the camera has highlighted a few errors.

I will sort these out as I progress onto Mr Sherrick s neighbour, John Otto and his des res enormity.

The rear of the property will be buried, as per the original into the hill it will sit on.

Happy modelling.

Chris

Posted by Bill Slavin on 11 Dec 2019, 03:44

Aha! A sand table!
Bit by bit, Mr. Dodson, your secrets are revealed. A very nice build - it will look great in your diorama.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Graeme on 11 Dec 2019, 03:45

You have brought the disparate pieces of this house together very nicely. Excellent rendition of a most unusual building.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by C M Dodson on 11 Dec 2019, 08:49

Thank you both for your kind comments.

Bill, there are no secrets that’s why it’s on WIP.

If you go to the Building of Quatre Bras,

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20932

You will see the table and it’s progression.

Sand is a fantastic medium for modelling.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 13 Jan 2020, 17:19

Straw stacks

The harvest was well underway when the opposing armies approached Antietam.

Hay/straw was stored in the form of ‘straw stacks’ and the wonderful Cyclorama ‘ The High Tide of the Confederacy by Paul Philippoteaux ( of Waterloo fame) has examples for us to see.

I used card formers and then stuck woodland scenic straw to them.

The stack is then trimmed.

I am of the opinion that the straw is too yellow and have used a grey wash and umber ink to tone it down.

Still a work in progress I think, but it’s a start.

Happy modelling,

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 16 Jan 2020, 20:09

John Otto Farm

Located opposite the Sherrick Farm on the Burnside road leading from the Rohrbach bridge to Sharpsburg sits the John Otto Farm.

Built in approximately 1790 in the antebellum style, the farm stayed in the family until 1976 when it was sold to the National Park.

The original property, once again, is massive.

The LOC is a powerhouse of detail following their documentation of the property.

I considered the size and have decided to omit the shutters and therefore reduce the length of the model.

I hope the purists will forgive me but I do not want to have a battlefield full of office blocks.

However, I hope that the ‘feel’ of the property will be retained.

I have temporarily stopped work on the building as I awaiting the railings to arrive in the post.

Happy modelling,

Chris

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Jan 2020, 10:21

i`m O K with your shrinking the actual size of your building. i do likewise on certain scratch-built stuff. The work looks real super cool to me. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Jan 2020, 20:00

James Ewell Brown Stuart

Having graduated from West Point in 1854 Stuart served with the US army in Texas and Kansas’s .

He took part in the Indian frontier wars and was also a part of the US force that captured John Brown at Harper’s Ferry.

Having resigned his commission as a Virginian he then served under Thomas Jackson in the Shenandoah campaign. Jackson put him in charge of the 1st Virginia cavalry.

Stuart’s exploits in the Peninsular campaign was a public relations sensation and he was promoted to command the cavalry division during the following Virginia campaign.

Further success including capturing General Popes uniform and the pursuit of the fleeing Union army after 2nd Manassas.

Stuart had a flair for not only audacity on the battlefield but personal flamboyance with his ostrich feathered hat and luxuriant beard.

His entertaining and the dispersed nature of his forces during the Maryland campaign did not help the Confederate forces following the discovery of Special Order No. 191.

Personally, I think that the Stretlets Stuart is too squat.

Therefore I chopped his head off and stuck it on the Italieri cavalry officer. The colour scheme is from the illustrated Don Troianis’s painting. Mr T, a terrific researcher has Stuart’s hair as a reddish brown.

My research suggests brown and indeed I came across this lock off the great man taken after his death at Yellow Tavern.

Stuart’s plume was created from static grass and then cut to size, I am pleased with the result.

The general officer is constructed from an Italieri US cavalry telescope chap sliced and matched with a a Stretlets officer holding his hat.

The head is from the tiny but eminently useful Newline Civil War gunners.

Lots to do.

Chris

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Emperor on 23 Jan 2020, 20:36

You made impresive houses...Can-t wait the final picture when you put it all togehter...
Emperor  

Posted by Susofrick on 24 Jan 2020, 11:08

Agree with Emperor! This is a very great thread with some very very nice work! Houses, figures, haystack (achoooo, ooops! Gesundheit!) and more!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Jan 2020, 15:05

John Otto part two.

I have now finished the Otto house and am pleased with the overall result.

I have learned a lot building these houses and hopefully my skill set is improving.

The camera has shown a few tidying up areas as always.

Whilst not perfect I feel John would have still recognised his property on the way home after a few glasses of Applejack.

The girls are back again.

Next up the Joshua Newcomer house I think.

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 26 Jan 2020, 12:23

Confederate cavalry conversions

I am looking for something a little different to represent some of Mr Stuart’s command on the left wing.

A little chopping, head swaps etc has resulted in something more to my liking.

The horse holder is a Newline bare headed artilleryman chopped in half, stave removed and remounted on an Italeri Confederate cavalryman.

My general with the hat is a Stretlets running Union guy suitably chopped on a Highland Waterloo 1815 horse.

Lots to do.

Chris

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress