Work in Progress

Antietam 17th September 1862

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Aug 2019, 22:21

Thank you Mr H.

One of the problems at a tactical level ACW commanders had was the profusion of fences which of course create huge difficulties with troop movements.

The snake fences could be dismantled by skirmishers relatively quickly but something like the Hagerstown pike, Emmitsburg Road fences were formidable indeed.

The amount of fencing required for Antietam is incredible and it is unique with six bars, to this area it seems.

I want to make the scenery as realistic as possible before introducing the troops and therefore the research to get it right.

The amount of material is huge and I found this from the New York State Agricultural Society which outlines the various methods of construction.

Brilliant.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Pr ... g.html?id=

Sub section fences.

Next up, time for a building I think.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 07 Aug 2019, 20:56

The Dunkard Church

Located at the junction of the Hagerstown pike and the Smoketown Road on the edge of the west woods this little building was completed in 1853 by members of the German Baptist Brethren, known as the Dunkers, or Dunkards following a gift of the land by Samuel Mumma in 1851.

Interestingly Mr Gardner when he took his photographs in 1862 referred to the building as The Tunker Church, German for Dunker.

Der Feldmarshall and I visited this historic location in 2002 and here she is looking very lovely indeed, ( the wife that is).

Thankfully there are lots of pictures of this building available but I found this fantastic resource from the U.S. Library of Congress showing plans and details of the building for the 1961 restoration project following its collapse after a storm in 1921.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.md0588.photos/?sp=6

These pictures following the restoration by the National Park are fabulous.

Interestingly, the rebuild does not show the shutters but this must be because the property had not been fully restored at that point.

Gardner’s picture does show them on his photographs and the NPS are very good with their work.

As per my previous re fights I am not building to a true 20 mm scale as to do so would take up too much space. However, I want the buildings to ‘look the part’, fitting in with the landscape and also being recognisable to a local of the time.

Therefore proportion is important although exactitude has to be subject to a small element of compromise.

I have measured out the constituent walls with the doors and windows using tough cardboard.

The elements have been cut out and the next step is to create the brickwork.

To be continued.

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Aug 2019, 23:57

Thumbs up on this one :thumbup: my man. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 11 Aug 2019, 10:26

Dunker church continued.

To represent the brickwork I use a thin covering of decorators caulk and then scribe the brickwork with a pin attached to an old paint brush.

This is a bit messy as the surplus when scribing must be removed. Also resist the temptation to dilute the caulk as all your hard work will run and spoil the brickwork.

I found that doing sections made the job easier but you must have a definitive line otherwise the ‘run’ will look odd.

I feel that the end result gives a pleasing old fashioned effect.

I was going to make the sash windows using balsa and painted bars on clear plastic until I discovered these laser cut windows.

Extremely good value and although fiddly are excellent for my purpose.

I have left the windows unglazed prior to painting.

Once positioned, the window sills and top windows, made from balsa.

I lined the door entrances with paper, glued and trimmed to size.

The elements are then positioned and glued to form the structure.

Filling, filing, trimming and tiling.

Lots to do!

Posted by Peter on 11 Aug 2019, 17:29

When a topic starts with this:

it gets my full attention! ;-)

Great topic by the way. I like the convresions on the figures and also the scratch build fences and building. Go on, this is very interesting! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 16 Aug 2019, 19:41

Dunker church continued

I have continued by adding copper wire hinges to the top windows and balsa stonework for the stepped entrances. A balsa floor represents the wooden floor of the original and adds strength to the model.

There are no drain pipes on the building and the method of deflecting rainwater seems to be by way of three lengths of different bricks along the front and rear.

I used strips of three then two and finally one millimetre card glued together in order to create this effect before gluing in place.

The roof appears to be slate tiled and I have therefore made use of the Wills tiled roofing material available from good model shops.

Having cut these to size and faced them to the construction they were glued along the ridges line and held in place by sellotape.

I also constructed the chimney from balsa with a card surround. The chimney will be caulked to finish it off.

Two strips chopped from the plastic sheeting were cut and fitted to make the ridge tile. This will need caulking to finish.

The roof facing panels were constructed from one millimetre balsa and glued into position to be trimmed when dry.

For the doors which are recessed I cut a thin card outer door which was then glued to a one millimetre pieces of balsa.

The second door requires some trimming to match.

I intend to add the shutters post painting.

Following the trimming and caulking the painting can commence.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Aug 2019, 21:49

Very good brick effect. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 17 Aug 2019, 10:26

I follow this with a lot of interest.
MABO  Europe

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Aug 2019, 18:18

Dunker church

I have commenced the painting of the model starting with white brickwork and a slate roof.

This will need touching up before weathering can commence.

The doors on the present church are picked out in white.

Whilst the NPS is very good I am not sure that this is correct.

Der Feldmarshall has been investigating!

The Gardner pictures may be distorted if the doors were open but this view clearly does not show lighter, ie. white squares. It may be that this was taken later as the damage has been repaired but I personally think the Brethren would be fairly conservative.

I have used a small ball of greenstuff to make the handles as per the NPS renovation pictures.

For the shutters which like the doors are recessed I have used cut card pasted onto 1mm balsa. These are painted before facing to the windows.

Nearly there!

Posted by C M Dodson on 19 Aug 2019, 14:31

I have added the shutters, glazing and weathered the property.

The shutters at the back were a bit wonky but as this wall faces the West Wood I do not think it will be apparent on the battlefield.

I am quite pleased with my church and have added some of the Bretheren for effect.

The ladies and children were not allowed to used the front door apparently.

Also, the Confederate troops initially thought this building was a schoolhouse when they arrived as its simplicity did not suggest a church.

It seems ironic that a pacifist sect should have its church in the middle of the most bloody of battles.

Next up.....

Back to Quatre Bras before the wife kills me.

Posted by SamSagace on 19 Aug 2019, 15:38

Back to Quatre Bras before the wife kills me

it's a pacific sect, you said ... :eh:

(The figures are from Imex, if I remember ? Good ones, also painted them ... er.... years ago... :P )
SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by SamSagace on 19 Aug 2019, 15:41

.... only 4 years ago, not so much ! :-D

SamSagace  France

Posted by Susofrick on 19 Aug 2019, 15:47

The little church looks very good! Looking forward to see more. I won't join your wife yet! :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by SamSagace on 19 Aug 2019, 17:45

Susofrick wrote:The little church looks very good! Looking forward to see more. I won't join your wife yet! :-D

of course, I agree with Gunnar ! :yeah:
Just forgot to say before my stupid question ! :oops:
SamSagace  France

Posted by C M Dodson on 04 Sep 2019, 10:11

David R. Miller farm

Located off the Hagerstown pike approximately two miles north from Sharpsburg lies the farm, infamous for its cornfield, purchased on the 18/12/1844 .

David was the Son of the wealthy Colonel John Miller who served in the 1812 war in the local militia.

Married to Margaret Pottenger on the 2/4/1846 they had seven children and built up a prosperous business.

The property was built in a Germanic style with a central chimney with adjoining rooms according to the NPS report.

It was built of logs with a lime plaster outer coating scored to represent stonework. The idea was to look more impressive than a normal property.

The National Park Service has plenty of fine views of this property and also a survey conducted following its sale to the Antietam Battlefield Park.

https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_ ... miller.pdf

Unfortunately, most of these are all marred by post battle auditions and modifications.

However, the good news is that the NPS has recently renovated the property to its Civil War status.

Indeed there is a short video showing some of the work with interesting views as a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQIUFQAEWKU

Furthermore, a Google Earth trip has enabled me to ‘visit ‘ the farm and build up a picture of the property for my model.

Armed with this information and having sketched out the plans the construction has commenced.

Once again, I have tried to use proportions rather than a true scale as I do not want to create ‘office blocks’ on my battlefield. Nevertheless I hope that even after a few glasses of cider the late Mr Miller would recognise his property.

The walls and windows have been cut as per normal and the sash windows inserted.

The caulk has been scored to represent the ‘blockwork ’but requires tidying up.

The walls have been glued and strengthening floors inserted.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 04 Sep 2019, 11:52

Apologies. The word ‘ auditions’ should read ADDITIONS.

The disabled predictive text fairy is back, and I did not spot it in time.

Chris

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 04 Sep 2019, 15:25

You spoil us!!! But I am very happily spoiled! :-D :-D :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Sep 2019, 20:03

This is one of the best ways to recycle cardboard.
A lovely topic of a hands on scratch-built.
Well done my man. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Sep 2019, 08:54

When I commenced my planning for this refight I was under the impression that this rural community comprised mainly of small plank style houses and farms.

The size of the properties has come as a surprise with the Mumma Farm being especially huge. I do not want office blocks dominating my battlefield so some compromises will be necessary. There was a lot of wealth at Sharpsburg, the Miller farm selling at $53 per acre!

I have now added the front porch and commenced construction of the veranda at the rear of the property.

The porch is made of balsa and the railings are cut up plastic railway fencing.

Lots to do.

Posted by MABO on 07 Sep 2019, 14:14

Very nice. And I hope that women and children can use the front door here. Keeping in mind that the church is not involved in this case.
MABO  Europe

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress