Work in Progress

Airfix 1/76 Sherman Crab

Posted by Wiking on 08 Jul 2019, 20:48

And these white added parts to the ugly grey thing will detect the mines now better ?
:mrgreen:

:yeah: Go on, go on, go on ... !
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 08 Jul 2019, 21:04

Wiking wrote:And these white added parts to the ugly grey thing will detect the mines now better ?

:yeah: Go on, go on, go on ... !

By "detecting" mines do you mean giving them a good wack with a chain and having them go off? Expanded definition...

:D
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by huib on 09 Jul 2019, 21:26

Yes this is very sophisticated and sensitive mine detecting equipment indeed: If you hear a loud bang above the roaring noise of the flail it probably detected a mine.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by huib on 09 Jul 2019, 22:25

Constructing the flail

Now the Airfix flail chains are completely straight. That is quite rediculous, as even during flailing these chains were bent by the rotating force. This picture shows how the Airfix model would look when built straight OOB.

And here a real Crab in action. The chains are not straight at all.

But I deciced to build the flail in a resting/transport position, like on this picture, as I think it is too difficult to depict the dynamic effect of a rotating flail in a static model.

As I showed already, my first step was.....

To cut off all the chains from the drum.

Then it was quite a job to glue, file, fill and sand the six parts of the drum to a smooth looking cylinder without seams. I drilled out the attachment points of the chains to preserve their exact locations during sanding, and to provide good attachment point for glueing the chains back later on.

I decided to use the original Airfix chains, as they are reasonably on scale, are moulded as chains and have the little ball on the end. An alternative would be to use jewellers chain, but it looks often overscale, and the type of chain is different. So I softened the chains in hot water above a candle, and bent them into the desired shapes.

Then they were glued back to the drum, row by row.

The final result, with all chains in position.

And a dryfit with the flail arms.

Now the flail mechanism has to be attached to the Sherman hull. But I think I have to attach the wheels and tracks first, as the flail will be in the way. So I am deliberating a bit about the order of build.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Bluefalchion on 10 Jul 2019, 03:05

Pretty sure you get quite a few bonus points for melting the original straight Airfix chains into the proper droopy position.

As Wiking would say: "Go on go on go on!"
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Graeme on 10 Jul 2019, 04:08

The level of detail on this build is very good, but the work on those flail chains is just outstanding. :yeah:
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by huib on 13 Jul 2019, 17:14

Thank you, guys!

Wheels and tracks

My last update before the holidays.

Wheels and bogies painted.

And glued to the hull.

Sideview.

The old fashioned and difficult to work with Airfix rubber band tracks.

The tracks painted and weathered.

The tracks attached with CA glue.

Side view of the track. Through the lengthening of the hull the tracks are a few mm short. The gap will be hidden behind the chalk dispensers.

Apart from the conspicious boxes it looks like a normal M4A4 now. That will end when I return from my holidays, and will atach the flail to the hull.

See you in August! :yeah: :-D
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Wiking on 14 Jul 2019, 01:48

August !
:mad:

Have a nice holliday.
:wave:

Do not forget your groupies are waiting.
Wiking  Germany

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress