Work in Progress

Prussian Elites 1806

Posted by FredG on 27 Nov 2018, 19:58

As I'm finishing off the Grenadiers with the Fifers, I've gone for the musicians in the Elites set. This is made from the same soft plastic as the Grenadiers, annoying but it's what it is.

First up are the Drummers. A set of Musketeers which will copy the regiments of the Grenadier Fifers.

Followed by a set of Fusiliers with horn type thingys.

Oh yes wiking, I did it.

That's the largest hole I could get into this figure due to the soft plastic. The sides of the horns flex now so the drill bits can't cut any further.

Vorwarts
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 27 Nov 2018, 20:16

More Prussians? Yes! :thumbup:

And when will the camels be painted? :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by FredG on 27 Nov 2018, 20:19

I've got quite a few Prussians to do before I get back to the camels Peter. Unless you have a reference to Prussian Hussars mounted on Dromedarys in 1806 :P
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 28 Nov 2018, 08:03

FredG wrote:I've got quite a few Prussians to do before I get back to the camels Peter. Unless you have a reference to Prussian Hussars mounted on Dromedarys in 1806 :P

That was one reason for the outcome of "Jena and Auerstedt"...
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by FredG on 28 Nov 2018, 08:57

MABO wrote:
That was one reason for the outcome of "Jena and Auerstedt"...

And all these years I gave the credit to Louis-Nicolas.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by FredG on 07 Dec 2018, 21:00

The drummers are of the same regiments as the Grenadier Fifers. The eight regiments are those that combine to form four of the Grenadier Battalions. That means I can add the drummers to a Grenadier Battalion or just keep them with the Musketeer Regiments.

I've really enjoyed painting the Fuselier horn players. They're devoid of chevrons (which are a pain :P).
The most difficult part of these is the leather strapping on the horns, there's a lot and it's not immediately evident what is leather and what is not.

I've painted all four facing colours , two of each so I can represent all eight Fuselier Brigades. I'll decide later which of the Battalions to depict.

Getting there :-D :yeah:
FredG  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 08 Dec 2018, 17:04

I personally do not like these early HAT figures although they do help fill a gap for 1806.

Nevertheless, nice painting Mr F.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by FredG on 10 Dec 2018, 21:32

I must admit to quite liking the Fusiliers, perhaps it's because they don't have chevrons. :P

The drummers were looking silly when I tried to paint all the chevrons so I reduced the number and they look much better.
I painted the tops of the drums with a solid red so I had a border around the skin. I'll probably leave that as is. These are not the best looking figures but they should do when there's no magnification. Or I could poke my fingers in peoples eyes (Ooooops :winky: ) just before they look at them.

FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by FredG on 13 Dec 2018, 21:24

The Fusilier horn players look pretty good to my eyes. Definitely the better of the two figures I've painted from this set. One painted from each of the eight Fusilier Brigades. I kept it simple and there's just the first Regiment of each Brigade represented.

Now these Drummers. I think they're the worst figure in the set but en masse and not magnified they'll be OK in with the rest.

As with the Grenadier fife players I have still to decide how to base these. Hopefully a bolt of inspiration will hit me shortly.

I've decided to leave the rest of the set for now and move on to a different one.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Wiking on 14 Dec 2018, 05:29

Colorful uniforms again.

The trumpeter are the quite better one in these set for sure.
Especially after the most important modification they get.

The drummer get the typical: "I hate then the cut of the mold is running diagonal or vertical through the face".
To debur with a sharp knife the face is always a bit of lottery if it comes to the nose.

Some of my figure are now able to lie without consequences.
:mrgreen:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Dec 2018, 21:40

Very good to see these painted up in such a way Fred. :thumbup:
They all look real spiffy cool and extra fine. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Marvin on 16 Dec 2018, 11:09

Fabulous - love the hornists in particular!
Marvin  United Kingdom

Return to Work in Progress