Work in Progress

Pilots of 303. squadron

Posted by FatFather on 21 Aug 2018, 17:11

Hi,
It will be long story about: "Reading this forum is the trap". Some times ago looking figures for SAS riders in disert (how to make, not buy), I found this forum. Somebody wrote to another person something like this: "If you need sitting pose of british soldiers, you can use set of RAF pilots from Revell". Sure. I found this Revell's pocket. I had pilots, and later SAS soldiers in sitting poses.
Some months later one of the Polish food discounts had promotion of Airfix aeroplanes (Zero, Spitfire, Hurricane) with small part of paints and useless brush withh the price about 5 Euro. This promo action shops made first, and last, and never again (costumers demolished boxes, stole paints and bursh). I looked at this as a drunk peoples. But some modellers wrote, that were well made kits. One day I found the man, which sell battered sets for 3 Euro. I bought 4 aeroplanes.
In this moment I had pilots, planes with british decals. I wanted to make famous Polish pilots of air battle over Britain in 1940. The last, to find polish decals for aeroplanes. I found, were reacher than kits, and figures :-D

Jan Zumbach, was great pilot of fighters. After the war, was a smuggler, pilot mercenary in Africa. On his plane was painted Donald Duck.

Josif Frantisek was born in Czech. After 1938 escaped to Poland, and later stayed with Polish pilots. In 303. squadron was famous about hunting of German planes caming back to France. Died after the crash making acrobatic figures to close to the ground.

Witold Urbanowicz, commander of 303. squadron, Ace, shoot down German, and Japan aeroplanes, as a volonteer in US AirForce squadron. After the war he had job in American civil airlines.

I hope it was interesting for you.
FF
FatFather  Poland

Posted by MABO on 22 Aug 2018, 11:48

Very interesting story. Seems to me that you made a good catch with the Airfix planes. A shame that the other people destroyed the boxes, btw.

I have seen other sets from other producer, who provides decal set for Polish fighters. And there is a set of decals for the 1.Polish Armoured Division from Black Lion Decals. So you can expand your range... :-D

https://www.mbmmodels.com/72047.html

MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Graeme on 22 Aug 2018, 12:34

The Polish pilots made a very important contribution to the Battle of Britain (second most numerous group by nationality after the British, IIRC) It's good to see this tribute to them, and also the Czech pilot. Thanks for posting this.

The planes and figures are all splendidly painted too.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by FatFather on 22 Aug 2018, 17:36

MABO wrote:Very interesting story. Seems to me that you made a good catch with the Airfix planes. A shame that the other people destroyed the boxes, btw.

I have seen other sets from other producer, who provides decal set for Polish fighters. And there is a set of decals for the 1.Polish Armoured Division from Black Lion Decals. So you can expand your range... :-D

Thx, MABO, I didn't knew these decals. In Polish planes I used products this firm: http://www.techmod.pl/aviation-72/72006 ... icane-mk-i. Nice, well done, no problem to put them to models. Fot Polish tanks I used: http://www.toro-model.com.pl/pliki/72d31e.htm. Very well too, in one you have decals for some vehicles. If somebody needs good decals for Polish vehicles and planes it is good choice. Everything is based on photos.
Box is only box, it happens.

Worst thing is... About six years ago I had occasion to buy set from Preiser with German pilots in WWII. Later I bought Ju-87 and made it in desert camoflage. Last Monday I bought, very cheap occasion, sets German pilots from Revell (I know, almost the same as Preiser), and now... It will not wait for Luftwaffe planes :eh: :oops: But some day :-)
FatFather  Poland

Posted by MABO on 23 Aug 2018, 01:41

Thanks for the links, I - in return - did not know.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Work in Progress