Work in Progress

Giraffatitan brancai, scratch, 1/72

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 17 Apr 2018, 22:28

Giraffatitan brancai belongs to the biggest and definetely tallest dinosaurs. After building a lot of small stuff, I want to try to builda big guy like Giraffatitan.

Its scaled up to 25m in length and based on the new skeletal drawing by Nima Sassani.
Some pics from the actual building process.
I built it up like a ship.

Next step: tissue-maché as surface layer for milliput.
It gives a first impression if the dimension of the ribs was chosen in a right way. The area before the hind legs need more material to make it rounder.

Here we go with some putty from the warehouse on the belly and around the limbs, to save up Milliput.

My yellow-grey Milliput is going to be empty, so I bought the last milliput they had in the store-silver gray. I had to recognized, that this package was a bit older that thought, because its has a already dried surface. :-\ But anyway, it can be used. But the next time I will go for yellow-grey again.

I've been searching for better elephant-pics as reference.
Sculpting goes on:

Meanwhile I found some nice elephant-pics and also went to the zoo. Due to the move of limbs
and body the surface of elephant skin is rough or smooth. That is a hard task to sculpt. Meanwhile I ordered the Alamosaurus
and Andesaurus by Mr. Krentz on shapeways to look, how he used to scuplt shoulders and chest.

left side:

the spine:

the right scapula.

And one of the coolest detail will be the skull by Robert from Dinotoyblog. A big, big thanks a lot!. Before I start to sculpt the flesh to the bones I need make a resin copy,
because the teeth are soo fine, the they fell off by looking at them.

cheers,alex
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by Wiking on 18 Apr 2018, 04:36

Never seen such a big Dino done scratch before.
I like that you do a research, scratch and managed to get, add some tricky bits (3D print) done by a machine.
Your surface of the skin is very well engraved.
High respect to your work. :yeah:

If I understand correctly the biggest problem is that there is (right now ) no original running around.
:mrgreen:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Susofrick on 18 Apr 2018, 08:11

This is great! Wonderful to see how you work! And it's going to be a nice sculpt!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by joefi on 18 Apr 2018, 17:15

Great to see a sculpt dino, you should cast it .

Bye
Jörg
joefi  Germany

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 19 Apr 2018, 20:44

Thanks. I will cast it. I am thinking about the diorama. A feeding scenery would be nice. But should I also cast the tree?
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by stenfalk on 20 Apr 2018, 21:07

That is a very interesting way of working. Great idea!
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 20 Apr 2018, 21:48

@wiking:
>If I understand correctly the biggest problem is that there is (right now ) no original running around.
Jenau. Except chickens. :-)

@Stenfalk:
>That is a very interesting way of working
I don't have a better idea to deal with it. :-)
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by stenfalk on 24 Apr 2018, 13:06

MixvsMinimax wrote:I don't have a better idea to deal with it. :-)

I understand that well - after all, there are no photos of the templates for your sculptures, on which you can look at different views and derive a possible three-dimensional image from them. On the basis of drawings showing only front and side views, one does not recognize where, for example, the widest part of the animal is. There is your solution of the finest inventiveness.
stenfalk  Germany

Posted by Wiking on 24 Apr 2018, 15:40

Stenfalk wrote:
... are no photos of the templates for your sculptures, on which you can look at different views and derive a possible three-dimensional image from them.

Here are clear differences of real figure, animal modeler to a model builder like me.
The missing three side drawings is the first in my mind.
For the very most ground (not all) , air and water vehicles with straight defined clear lines, angles and radii this drawings will work fine. Especial WWI and WWII vehicles.
But in the nature figure, animals, plants (excluding the single snowflake under the microscope) there are no 90° angle. All is in an different angle, radius, no straight line for the viewer`s eye.

For Disney`s "The Lion King" (1994) the drawer study lions in action to draw the move of the shoulder realistic as one example. And the result is shown in 2D !

:-D
Wiking  Germany

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 25 Apr 2018, 22:05

So is' es!

But it's also a larger amount of freedom for interpretation. That's why photos of the skeleton are very usefull. Cows, for example, have a very prominent concave triangular area infront of the tips of the pelvis in direction to the spine. That is something You don't see on a drawing. At the moment I also build a Fokker E.V, and there is a good drawing everything You need. But figures can be all between skinny or fatty.
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 30 Apr 2018, 11:00

Surprisingly I mostly work on Giraffatitan, when we visit parents in law.
Here the left scapula and left fore leg.

MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 17 Oct 2018, 22:21

Hello together,

I sanded all down and made a new skin with new technique with milliput standard. I cast my own skin from the upper side of the hand and feet and pressed the thin silicon it in the fresh milliput. Some lines were made a bit more prominent/deeper. The disadvantage is, that this method requires some additional work after the impression are hardened.

cheers
alex
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 18 Oct 2018, 18:32

It is nice to see some progress in this topic.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Wiking on 19 Oct 2018, 04:39

I like simple great ideas.
And it look so fantastic live like.

:yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Wolfgang Meyer on 19 Oct 2018, 09:16

Fantastic! I look forward to seeing your dinosaur herd live at the DIORAMICA! :yeah:

Best regards, Wolfgang
Wolfgang Meyer  Germany

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 19 Oct 2018, 11:19

This is one of the many contributions here at Bennos that demonstrates so wonderfully how incredibly multifarious our hobby actually is. :-D

I've never dealt with the aspects of modelling prehistoric fauna nor is it very likely I ever will. But I really appreciate this contribution and one can easily feel the enthusiasm, time & effort that were put into this and similar projects. :thumbup:

Great work and please keep us updated! :yeah:
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Frankzett on 21 Oct 2018, 13:35

Wow, this is a great idea with the papaercard skeletton. A academic way of scupting with simple materials, I like this very much.

Greetings
Frank
Frankzett  

Posted by huib on 22 Oct 2018, 09:55

Wonderful and imaginative technique, to copy your own skin on the dinosaur!
huib  Netherlands

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 23 Oct 2018, 21:57

Thanks. The upcoming weekend will bring some new pics.
The method sounds easy, but it can be tricky too, because the pressure on the fresh milliput is not always the same, so that the surface has slightly bowls here and there. Ok, one can reckon it as naturally unevenness. But that is something hard to avoid.

Elephant skin has sometings thin positive wrinkles too, so that I think about to make some positive "stamps".
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 10 Dec 2018, 23:48

The upcoming week is a 1,5 month ago. :-) But in the meantime I found a bit time to keep on working.

And in preparation of the Dioramica 2018:

Supersaurus vivanae
It's based on a 35m long individual, so that the model will be 50cm long.

MixvsMinimax  Germany

Next page

Return to Work in Progress