Work in Progress

French and Indian War first attempts

Posted by Rich W on 13 May 2018, 11:56

As my original photos all seem to have disappeared again I'll re-post the grenadiers I have painted. I would like to paint some more grenadiers but am struggling to find further sets that can be converted for my purposes (I have posted this as a question/plea for help) on the 'Modelling Page'.

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 13 May 2018, 12:03

Here are my Native Americans. These are the Italeri AWI Natives-a really good set that is now unfortunately difficult to get hold of. The camera has made them look glossier than they actually are, honest!

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 15 May 2018, 21:23

Your figures have a unique style, but maybe you can try to use less colour. Your figures lost all the details. If you apint with thinner and less colour this would not had happen and it is easier to paint the smaller parts of your figures. Another tip might be to add a darker colour and mix it with the one you have used. Then you can make this even more thin and make awashing. this will add more structure. It is only my oppinion but maybe you can give it a try if you want. :thumbup:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 16 May 2018, 10:51

I agree with Jan, you definitely need to thin down your paint. It seems to me that you use enamel paints.
Try switch to acrylics.

Good work so far and keep them coming. Don't give up :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Susofrick on 16 May 2018, 11:05

Really like your work and agree with Jan and Dali.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 May 2018, 12:10

Very good and kind advice, drops no heavy bricks on any ones toes here.
Although the way I lump paint upon stuff will never change for the better,but the banter here is second to none,and so it is not just about painting and presenting figures. It is a place for presenting and sharing in fun.

Rich W, it is not an easy call to explain how to use acrylic paints, because it all depends on how much paint is squeezed out,and how thick it is.

I started painting small today,because I am small but in an unusual big way. :-D
:mrgreen: " Make sense of that I dare you?"___ :sst: " o`, my! our bb,with a brush!"
:winky: " Much better than him with a knife!"

So here goes nothing!

One drop of acrylic paint to one drop of water.
If thick paint perhaps 2 drops of water.
It is trial and error really especially if it is blistering hot weather.
You will still have to varnish in order to protect your paint work.
Of course I am no great painter but I try.
My Mrs B, reckons yes I am very trying indeed.

Keep the faith in yourself and dip your paint brush the way in which you wish.
There is no longer any TROLL of contention here on Benno`s Figure Forum.
So have confidence to post other cool looking stuff,
and always remember Rich W,you can use what ever paint you wish. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 18 May 2018, 00:34

Thank you all for your feedback and advice, I can only develop if I'm given this! You are right about the enamel paint, I've been using the Humbrol pots. These were the types I used when I first started painting as a child so by habit I ended up buying them again last year. I would like to move onto the Vallejo 'Model colour' range of acrylics in the future, but for now I do not have the funds to replace any of my paints, so I will have to stick it out with the thicker Humbrol, but I will try thinning the mixture! Are there any other paint ranges anyone would recommend?

Again, thanks for the on-going feedback! Hopefully over the weekend I will be posting pics of my Revell SYW Austrians painted as more Compagnies Franches De La Marines.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 18 May 2018, 08:12

I was very fond of Humbrol acrylics, but they are not easily available for me anymore so I stick with what I can buy and that's GamesWorkshop (or Citadel).
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Kekso on 18 May 2018, 10:46

Oh, I forgot to mention: first of all, have fun... everything else (thinner paint) comes second.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 18 May 2018, 13:58

And keep showing your works!

At the urging of my forum fellows, I made the switch from the paint of my young adulthood, Testors Model Masters.

This was quite a few years back. I use Vallejo Acrylics now, and I don't miss the enamel fumes. You can also mix colors and thin them down to whatever strength you like.

And cleanup is good old fashioned water. Old dogs can learn new tricks.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 18 May 2018, 15:33

In general I can also recommend Games Workshop Paints. But they become to expensive. I think this is a bad behavior of this company. So I would recommend Valleijo. I think you can also try Andrea or Games Colour.
MABO  Europe

Posted by MABO on 18 May 2018, 15:36

I forget to say: I also started with enamel colours from Humbrol. You can use them as well of course. But I think water based colours are easier to handle. Revell and Humbrol have also Acrylics in their range. I use some of them as well.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Kekso on 19 May 2018, 11:23

MABO wrote: Revell and Humbrol have also Acrylics in their range.

Sometimes Revell Acrylics are even better than Vallejo. I prefer their black and yellow over Vallejo's.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Rich W on 19 May 2018, 23:50

Thank you for your suggestions and positivity, and I'll keep my options open for all the acrylic ranges available.

I was hoping to post pics of my next set of Compagnies Franches De La Marines today but they've had a bit of a disaster! Having varnished about 25 of them, I came back an hour later to discover that the varnish had dried a chalky/pale on the figures. This has never happened before so I am confused as to why it has...I've tried to clean them up and used a glossy varnish to try brighten them up a little, but they are not looking good. I will post the pics (even if they do look particularly rubbish) when I'm back from holidays in a weeks time.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 May 2018, 12:08

I always advise doing samples before doing the whole box. This is how one learns how best to use unfamiliar stuff. Although I am not a great painter myself. It saves time in the long run and above all ones money too. Much better to scrap one or two figures if things turn out wrong than the whole box.

I use this varnish above it can be applied over both enamel or acrylic paints, and it also comes in Matt too. Both dry very quick,after applying it with a tiny brush and above all is very cheap.

I do not know what varnish you used,but Milky white, it is trapped moisture! Usually caused by using clear varnish from a can,or by `here we go again laying it on to thick.' It might dry out clear in time.
You Tube,i feel would be of benefit to you also ,
as well as posting your figures here of course Rich W. OK ? :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Wiking on 20 May 2018, 12:54

I read a little across the theme acrylics.
You get a lot of useful info from the forum members.
Try and error. We all go this way.

And for me there are some true statements.

Kesko wrote:
... have fun... everything else ... comes second.
Try switch to acrylics.
:yeah:

Bluefalchion wrote:
... and I don't miss the enamel fumes.

Beano Boy wrote:
I always advise doing samples before doing the whole box.
Wiking  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 27 May 2018, 14:46

Again, thanks for your continued feedback and suggestions! This varnish was one I've used several times before with good success so I was complacent and didn't trial it on a couple first (but I will from now on thanks B.B!).

For future projects I will move on to acrylics, I just need to save some funds for this replacement of my Enamels. And I will try to pile less paint onto each figure!!!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 30 May 2018, 00:29

Here are some more of my Compagnies Franches De La Marines. These are converted from the Revell SYW infantry.

As mentioned previously I had a bit of a varnish disaster with half the set, so I've not bothered taking pics of them.

As always, feedback is welcome!

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 30 May 2018, 03:37

You have a unique style, sir. I like it. Especially that drummer!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 30 May 2018, 08:10

I am very good at adding a lot of paint so I won't say anything about that. You show what is important! The FUN with painting! And I really like that you have painted all those tiny :swearword: buttons! I am very good at not bothering with them. Which I should!
Susofrick  Sweden

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress