Work in Progress

Crusaders in holy land

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 01 Mar 2018, 20:09

A few figures for a new diorama. The figures are from the Valdemar-Brand.

Roland_Kupski  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 01 Mar 2018, 20:50

Absolutely fabulous work. The faces bring them to life and the painting is first class in my opinion.

Looking forward to the diorama.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Michael Robert on 01 Mar 2018, 21:13

Hi Roland,
very nice project with wonderful figures and beautiful painting.
Where did you take some of the heraldic colour schemes from? Are they invented?
I love heraldics and the holy land is particularly decisive in that heraldics really developed after the first crusade - so a crucial period in medieval culture (East met West).
Keen to see the progress
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by sberry on 01 Mar 2018, 21:23

Everything has been said already - fabulous work, in fact! I especially like the last pic showing the rider playing his instrument.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 01 Mar 2018, 23:09

Thx for the good works. The truth is: we know little about the simple foot Soldiers. I do not believe in something like an elaboratet system of shield patterns in this time. As far as I have seen in medieval book art, they mostly use geometrical structures or religious patterns. Warriors of all time liked to give themselves colorful decoration. May be the one with the Byzantine cross “found” his shield somewhere? The crusaders of St. John are changing in this time (roundabout 1250) from black to red and started to use the maltesian cross, as far as I researched. I’ll be glad for any evidence!
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 02 Mar 2018, 07:46

Good „words“, of course, not „works“
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by sansovino on 02 Mar 2018, 19:41

Wonderful painted crusaders! Will they been integrated in a diorama? Will you add still other figures like arabs or byzantines....
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 02 Mar 2018, 22:45

Some Arabs. Picture will follow.
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 03 Mar 2018, 06:26

Remarkable work, as always. :yeah:
Excitedly awaiting the entire scene!

The already excellent Valdemar & Nikolai figures look even better when skillfully painted like this. :thumbup:
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Michael Robert on 04 Mar 2018, 17:18

Hi Roland,

carrying on with the topic of heraldry.
When I researched about the start of classic heraldry I stubled about the evidence that it really started after the first crusade. Before ornaments and colours on namely shields existed of course, but they were not used as the actual heritage pattern with the applied heraldic rules as in the classic middle ages.
It looks as if the religious movements, improved colours and colouring techniques (namely for textiles) found in the Near East and the new high status of the Knight made heraldry happen.
My main sources are the books from Michel Pastoureau which gives interesting insights.
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PhilC on 04 Mar 2018, 17:48

Excellent minis Roland, wonderful! Your music player (on horse, very difficult) is particularly well painted, a mini full of poetry.
I just wonder what sort of instrument he is playing, so I would be interested to know what reference you used. The closest picture I found on the internet is this one:

This instrument is a cithern ("cistre" in french), a 16th century instrument. It probably had a medieval ancestor but I don't it, so I am curious :)
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Paul on 04 Mar 2018, 18:13

Looks like a early 14th cent Vielle which could be played with a bow or plucked Image
http://www.hortus-instrumentorum.com/bas-moyen-age.html
or..better..a 13th Cent citole,
http://www.thecipher.com/viola_da_gamba_cipher-2.html
Paul  China

Posted by PhilC on 04 Mar 2018, 18:33

Some sort of small lute, yes, probably. The lutes I know (and the one I play :)) are usually bigger.
PhilC  Europe

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 04 Mar 2018, 19:33

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oud Maybe it is an Al Ud, an old arabic instrument, ancestor of the lute--Family. And some fantasy. I am not an medieval music scientist. its a nice piece of craftmanship (indee we know very littel about that times, we have only small references. We must fill the gaps with precise fantasy, or we must duplicate always the same things.
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Posted by PhilC on 04 Mar 2018, 21:54

The oud is exactly the instrument I am playing, a sort of fretless lute, with a beautiful deep sound :)
It is much bigger than the instrument you painted, as you can see (next to an acoustic bass guitar for comparison):

Anyway, I like your explanation and moreover the result :) A fantastic mini :)
Thank you very much for your piece of art, Roland.
PhilC  Europe

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 04 Mar 2018, 22:21

أحب المسقةالعربية I love arabic music.
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PhilC on 04 Mar 2018, 22:26

I love it too :) Concerning the oud, my favourite artists are Marcel Khalifê and the Trio Jubran, have you ever seen (and heard) them ? I had the fortune to see several of their concerts, always a pleasure.
PhilC  Europe

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 05 Mar 2018, 17:23

I like Marcel Khalife, because he uses poems by one of my most beloved Poet Mahmud Darwisch (but i havent seen them live. I try to learn arabic by listending them an reading their texts). The crusades gave as a lot of arabic culture. Never forget this. And do not only think af alkohol and algebra...Even the culture of war changes. So I am very interested in this area, and we will show the "contact of cultures" in our diorama.
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Posted by PhilC on 06 Mar 2018, 15:22

Hi Roland, sorry for the delay, I had to find a CD before answering :)

I'm impressed that you learn arabic, I wish I have enough time to do the same (I always wish I can talk to the inhabitants in the countries I visit). Moreover, I discovered with your post above that Marcel Khalife has written music based on Darwich's poems... I knew that trio Jubran did! This is what I wanted to show you:

Mahmoud Darwich reads some of the poems he wrote. You can listen to some extracts here:
https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/a-lombre-des-mots-le-trio-joubran/0794881933228
PhilC  Europe

Posted by Paul on 11 Mar 2018, 13:24

A good site that covers all the possible blazons, historically used and present at each crusade in the "holy land", is this one;
http://www.earlyblazon.com/index.htm
Click on Crusade to the left of the page . 1st and second crusade are unlinked but there´s a Tonnage of links on the sources section or in each section on individual crusades /Battles,

Individuals who took part in crusades and weren´t attached to a particular Lord/Baron/Knight so not under anyone´s "colours" and could possibly have had thier own shield Patterns (?)
Paul  China

Next page

Return to Work in Progress