Work in Progress

3D test printing

Posted by Taipeh on 03 Feb 2018, 12:41

Hello,
the first tries on the Resin 3D Printer were successful. With this Figur of Bavarian Soldier 1870/71 we try to print the same figure in different scale. You see 1/72, 28mm and 70mm. Other scale like 40mm or 54mm would be no Problem.

The first set of 6 Bavarian 1870 in this 3D Technology goes no into production
Ciao Michael

http://www.germania-figuren.com
Taipeh  Germany

Posted by Chariobaude on 04 Feb 2018, 10:39

this is clearly the future of our hobby : most of manufacturers are slowly leaving the scene (Italeri, Hät...), the last remaining can't answer our (very) specific needs, their time of conception is ridiculously long...

Next steps are cristal clear. We need two things (with a precise idea of what kind of figs we want, but i guess this not a problem !) :
- a 3D printer and a raw material wich are adpated to our purposes (considering my experience, this is for now not so easy)
- very good skills in 3D designing

both can be physically separated, which facilitates the modalities of production: the design can be made in Italy and the production in Scotland!
your miniature seems very nice, I will follow you with attention!
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Wiking on 04 Feb 2018, 13:54

Chariobaude wrote:
this is clearly the future of our hobby ...

I own only a few 3D printed figures of:

Shapeways (Tank vs. Panzer)
Reed Oke
Modelu (H0/ 00)
MAIM

They all share once. Very high price. Right now.
Wait and we will see in a few years.

Now Germania Figuren is the fifth who do 3D print figure in or around 1/72 I know of. :yeah:

I think that we will still get all options in the future. But the wight to each other will change.
Options means white metal, resin, and now 3D print figure producer.
Someone like Alexanderminatures need not a 3D printer to model figures in my opinion.
But say never no.

I is interesting to see how the main seller in soft and hard plastic will do new mold with 3D printed figures.
If they all choose the speed like Airfix do new mold for figure ...

To design your own figure by choose the pre given options via internet as I have seen for 28mm and up ...
To close the circle ...
Chariobaude wrote:
this is clearly the future of our hobby ...
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Taipeh on 04 Feb 2018, 14:21

Hi ,
that is a misunderstanding. This 3D printed figure are only the master figure for the later production. In the Moment very hight standart 3D Printer are so expansive that it is no future for the private using. Getting a 1/72 scale figure printed in this hight standart it will be from 6,- up to 8,50 € (look at Shapeways and other who offers this).
That is no alternativ to "normal" produced figure in resin or pewter. The great Chance of this is the possibility to make the same figure in different scale. In the traditional sculpting each time you have to make 2 master figure if you want them in 1/72 and 28mm. So time / or Price is double in this way. In 3D sculpting / printind you only have to do 2x printing.
So I agree, this will be the future of sculpting because Company could reduce cost and speed up time of development for new Releases.

Ciao Michael

www.germania-figuren.com
Taipeh  Germany

Posted by Chariobaude on 04 Feb 2018, 15:58

like mobile phones, computers or TV, 3D printers will be quickly cheaper and better. The process already began. It is just a matter of times.
If i had some time left, i could consider a Business Plan on it ! :-)
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Zed1 on 04 Feb 2018, 16:04

That's good. Now send the figure to me for painting. :mrgreen:

Just joking. Let me ask you some questions:
How much time did you spend for the downscaling and production process?
Would the costs scale 1:1 with the amount of downscaled figures - in other words: can you just repro one by one or several in a row?
If you - for example - make a downscaled repro of a whole set of figures and taking into account the costs of 3d production of the masters, how much would the price for the resulting figures be?
Zed1  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Taipeh on 04 Feb 2018, 17:00

@ Zed1 - could we discuss this in German ? a Little difficult for me in English.
Taipeh  Germany

Posted by Taipeh on 04 Feb 2018, 19:36

just get the question about this Bavarian soldier 1870. It is 1 figure from a set of 6 soldier:
This is the first set in this range, some more Bavarian, than French and Prussian follow. this set will come
in the usual way in 1/72, figure casted in resin, rifle in pewter. and in 28mm identical complet in pewter with base.
WEaiting now for the first photo from member Michel, who paint this set.

Ciao Michael

www.germania-figuren.com
Taipeh  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Feb 2018, 20:47

I notice what appears to be a left handed weapon middle bottom row, because the hammer is on that side of the weapon. This is a big mistake if all metal muskets are likewise left handed weapons. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Feb 2018, 21:30

Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Feb 2018, 18:19

I looked into it a bit and it seems some 3D Printers are printing mirror images, like back to front.
Just trying to help,but I`ll leave now through total lack of response. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Emperor on 05 Feb 2018, 18:29

How much does cost a 3D printer. I ask because it may turn out to be a profitable job here at me to have 3D printer in my town if other don t have it.
Emperor  

Posted by Taipeh on 05 Feb 2018, 19:23

@ BB - sorry there had been Weekend, and beside of figure there is also a Family which Need Attention.

You could not see your rifle in the same as the Bavarian. You Show 2 muzzle loaders, the Bavarian rifle
is a new one loaded from behind .
With the printing mistake you are correct , 1 of the rifle have the firing pin on the wrong side

@ Emperor - it belongs in which class you want to work. This one is a DWS XFAB Second Generation. http://www.dwslab.com/xfab/?v=1ee0bf89c5d1
with all add on and necessary program you come up to 14 000,- € , if you want a not so good one for printing houses etc. you could get it for 350.- € .
Taipeh  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Feb 2018, 00:33

Sorry no disrespect meant on my part Taipeh.
You put family first as indeed do i. :thumbup: Good Man you enjoy your private home life.

It is a fact such errors can cost lots of money for producers if they are made wrongly in the foundry.
Especially if they are sold on the WW Marketplace. I therefore saw a need to help out best that i could a fellow member.I hope your new lines of model figures are a smash hit on the open Market. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Emperor on 06 Feb 2018, 00:42

I noticed that every inovation here at my place gives good financial results. For example my uncle and his wife worked as dental technicians for more than 10 years in Germany. They got good amount of money which in Serbia is a small fortune. They invested into Dental Center that is the best in my town. They work with Zirkon Zahn, so they can tell me about the molds. I am not full into modeling figures, but the plan would be simple, create one figure with 3D printer and than somehow create mold of it to produce many copies.
Now what my brother suggested to me is not to go into expensive projects, but to create plastic toy soldiers with historic motifs that kids will buy. We go by logic that many salesman in our town said to us that most money is earned on small things that are cheap. If figures are expensive few will buy especially in Serbia. For this last I don t know do I need 3D printer or not, and maybe it sound stupid but we think about going into business of some sort that will fix our financial situation. Every merchendise has its buyer you just need to reach them...
Emperor  

Posted by MicroWorld on 06 Feb 2018, 07:42

Emperor wrote: I am not full into modeling figures, but the plan would be simple, create one figure with 3D printer and than somehow create mold of it to produce many copies.
Are you sure yuou are the only who have such plan? ;-) 3D-printing and making a copies from resin - it is a common idea now, so be ready for huge competition.
And the most important question: "Do you really can make your own 3d-models for further printing?"

I also made some figures by this method. I have no own 3d-printer, so these models were printed for me by another people (for money). But I don't planning turn it into serious busines - exactly because of potential competition. My plan is more simple: to make figures which are interesting for myself (and for my friends) and produce only few copies. It will allow me to obtain an unique (not a banal "soldier with rifle") resin figures for price of usual ones - a sort of "club project". Money are needed only for printing: I myself making both 3d and copies.
MicroWorld  Russia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Work in Progress