Work in Progress

1/72 Napoleonic British conversions

Posted by Bill Slavin on 18 Nov 2017, 15:48

I've been having a lot of fun converting half the Italeri 1815 British (the half without stovepipe shakos) to Peninsular British - mostly some trouser alterations and shako-swapping from an abysmal set of Hat Light Infantry. But I have also had to produce some standard bearers. A sergeant figure converted fairly easily ( I cut away his gear, lengthened the tails of his coat) but I wanted two per stand (regimental and union colours) and didn't want duplicate ensigns. So I've gone to work on the command figure, which has proved a bit more ambitious.
I posted early painted conversion results (with only one ensign) with my Connaught Rangers post but thought I would share some WIP's. These are really my first attempts at this level of conversion and look pretty rough, but I'm pleased with the results when not too close!

A pic of all the conversions, mostly involving trouser alterations, shako-swapping, shoulder-wing-cutting and tuft-adding.

Close up of the commander, with bicorne and tails added for the Peninsular captain (painted figure), and then two more modified as ensigns. These called for new shakos, the arm cut off and repositioned, the hand moulded, a belt added for the flagstaff, a sword hilt added in the scabbard, shoulder wings cut off, epaulettes added and coattails lengthened. For Peninsular they should also probably have boots but I ran out of steam!

The earlier modifications of the sergeant. For the ensign it meant shako swap, gear and swagger stick cut off, sword added, hand drilled for flagstaff, spear point added to flagstaff, pouch created for staff, and tails lengthened.
The sergeant figure was simply a matter of swapping the shako, cutting off the shoulder wings, adding tufts and sword and making a pike.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 19 Nov 2017, 22:05

Real nice work Bill! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 24 Nov 2017, 08:00

I second that.!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 24 Nov 2017, 14:06

Bill, do you find yourself more enamored of your converted and painted figs than the ones more or less out of the box? I always do...
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Nov 2017, 14:19

Hi Bill.

Excellent chopping and swapping.

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 25 Nov 2017, 16:45

Thanks for the encouragement. And yes, Blue Falchion, I do find an increased fondness for the figures you have laboured over in this way. I will post some photos of the final results soon.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 25 Nov 2017, 18:24

Great conversions, Bill. Cannot wait to see them all painted. Congratulations. :yeah:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bill Slavin on 25 Nov 2017, 19:08

Here are the two command stands, 88th and 45th.

Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Photoro Man on 25 Nov 2017, 23:10

May I ask what grey modelling material you are using?

Thanks in advance!
Photoro Man  

Posted by Bill Slavin on 26 Nov 2017, 00:07

It's a two part epoxy putty made by Tamiya (Smooth Surface). I did have a bit of trouble getting it to adhere to the plastic despite the fact that I had washed the figures with soap and water prior. But there may be some other trick I'm not aware of.
In the end it did adhere and stayed well stuck after drying.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by huib on 26 Nov 2017, 14:47

Fantastic drummers and standards!
huib  Netherlands

Return to Work in Progress