Work in Progress

Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Feb 2018, 08:15

Chris ,a very large WELL DONE.
Come to think on it,everything in those days relied upon the horse.BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 12 Feb 2018, 20:16

Thank Mr B.

The construction continues with Gemincourt and the stream of Gemincourt. Lots more to do but I am pleased with progress to date.

The rye fields are a nightmare. Bring back teddy bear fur.

Happy modelling.

Chris
Last edited by Paul on 23 May 2018, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic links fixed
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Paul on 12 Feb 2018, 20:25

Most excellent :yeah: What are you using for the "earth"..sharp sand?
Paul  China

Posted by C M Dodson on 12 Feb 2018, 20:59

Thank you Paul and Mr B.

I use builders sand which is watered and then sculpted to form the contours, streams and roadways.

The 'raw' landscape is then dressed.

Adult sandcastles!

Chris

Posted by Peter on 12 Feb 2018, 21:03

Never thought about that kind of sand! And every summer we see such wonderfull creations with that sand! :oops: :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 16 Feb 2018, 20:51

I have been sculpting and detailing the project. It's coming along but planting horse hair is a real pain.

My supplier informs me that they have run out of stock!

Gemincourt to the left and the streams/ lake Materne in the centre.

Piramount in the foreground looking up the Namur road towards the crossroads.

Thyle and the Watermill to the right. Lots to do still to these areas.

Happy modelling.
Last edited by Paul on 23 May 2018, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Feb 2018, 23:10

Wonderful display.
Plumber Hemp is very fine to use. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Graeme on 18 Feb 2018, 04:12

The crossroads looks fabulous.

It's really interesting to see how you construct your incredible landscapes. But even though I've seen the model being built, I know that when It's finished I won't be thouroughly convinced it's not real.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Feb 2018, 14:38

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments and support.

Thank you especially to Beano boy for the hemp suggestion. It's very cheap and may do the trick.

I have also discovered Woodland scenics grass range which is essentially what I was doing with dyed horse hair.

Another discovery by the Feldmarschall is chinchilla dust! Amazingly cheap and makes a good sand effect. Hopefully I can run that along the roadsides to create the ' sand pavement' of the period. E bay had a recycled dust offer which sounded a bit strange but it is just as cheap to buy new.

No chinchillas will be hurt making my battlefield.

Chris

Posted by FredG on 18 Feb 2018, 19:51

Let's hope the battlefield isn't hurt by any passing Chinchillas. They love bathing in the dust.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Paul on 18 Feb 2018, 20:28

Chinchilla dust? :eh: Hopefully not the dried and ground bodies of Chinchillas :shock:
Paul  China

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Feb 2018, 19:27

I have now completed the rye fields around the crossroads. Tedious but I think the result is quite pleasing.

The voltigeur is back for a pose.

Looking up from Gemincourt towards the crossroads.

Looking to La Bergerie.

The crossroads with Thyle in the left distance, Liralle centre distance and Bois Bossau on the right.

Looking from the crossroads towards Gemincourt with La Bergerie in the middle distance.

There is still a lot to do before tidying up and dressing the battlefield.

Happy modelling.

Chris
Last edited by Paul on 23 May 2018, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by C M Dodson on 22 Feb 2018, 16:58

I have today been playing with chinchilla dust courtesy of my new friends, Charlie, Gerri and Harry.

Having made a mark 1 dispenser I proceeded to lay the sand borders.

This stuff is very fine and I am not sure what will happen if it gets very wet. However, for five English pounds including delivery for one and a half KG it is cheap enough to replace. Well recommended for roads, gravels etc.

Happy modelling.

Chris
Last edited by Paul on 23 May 2018, 16:37, edited 2 times in total.

Posted by sansovino on 22 Feb 2018, 19:27

like always a pleasure to follow your threads and projects ..
sansovino  Germany

Posted by sigtekorn on 23 Feb 2018, 21:27

@chris
What is the recommended mix to do a decent ‘chinchilla road’?
Just bought a small bucket of the stuff for 3,5 £ in local pet store for a diorama.
sigtekorn  Denmark

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Feb 2018, 22:41

Hi. Three chinchillas to one part water!

Seriously, I just poured it through my funnel straight from the pack. I would suggest that if it is a diorama etc, to glue the road way and then pour sufficient dust on top. Once dry any excess can be dusted off. Paint if necessary.

There are various tutorials on the Internet that are helpful. Der Feldmarschall found one and hence the purchase.

Best wishes,

Chris

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 23 Feb 2018, 23:16

Mr Dodson, I have a question.

I'm preparing a Quatre Bras wargame. Of course, a wargame is quite different to a diorama but I regard you as an expert on the battle.

I understand the historical battle was a draw in tactical terms, but both sides could be given credit for strategic success. The allies prevented the French from seizing the cross roads & using this to advance to either flank or straight ahead. The French prevented the Anglo-Dutch from re-enforcing their Prussian allies at Ligny.

We are gaming, so a fairly clear cut outcome is necessary. What I need are simple victory conditions, achievable in the time frame of a day's gaming. Preferably a set of them so as to allow degrees of victory. Clearly, holding the cross roads at the end of the game should count for much. What else, both specific & generic, should be considered?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by sigtekorn on 24 Feb 2018, 07:02

There are various tutorials on the Internet that are helpful. Der Feldmarschall found one and hence the purchase.

Thank you for the quick reply. The exchange of info big and small on this forum is much appreciated.
sigtekorn  Denmark

Posted by FredG on 24 Feb 2018, 16:17

sigtekorn wrote:What is the recommended mix to do a decent ‘chinchilla road’? .

Five scoops of sand per chunchilla and mix vigorously.

Quatre Bras/Ligny campaign is easy to win. Just get d'Erlons Corps into one of the battles instead of faffing about between the two and Waterloo doesn't happen :-D :yeah:
(That wasn't Napoleon's fault either according to Napoleon)
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Feb 2018, 18:51

Thank you for your question. First thing, it's Chris and secondly I am no expert!

You have effectively summarised the historical outcome in your analysis.

I have been considering the same questions for my re fight so you raise some very relevant points.

His Majesty's initial order to Ney was to seize the crossroads without delay but because his corps was not properly concentrated this action was delayed and was conducted in a fragmented manner.

I am going to use the actual timeframe for reinforcements for both sides with some sort of dice variable to potentially delay the arrival of units onto the table.

Furthermore, I will pinch an idea from Black Powder. In the tall crop areas Die 1-7 normal move, 8-10 half move and 11-12 halt. If you are in the wrong formation not being able to move, form square etc might be interesting!

If the Dutch Belgians etc are swept aside before Picton and the Brunswickers arrive the French could have intercepted them en route, a major French success.

However, if for instance the crossroads are taken and consolidated by say 5PM this would have allowed a French Corps to march to Ligny as per his Majesty's next order when the Prussian position at Ligny became apparent. Perhaps counting as a major French victory?

Tying up the Allied forces for the length of your game without being overwhelmed might count as a success in its own right. This is what Napoleon wanted Ney to do as the position at Ligny crystallised and the opportunity to crush Blucher became apparent.

Wellington 'promised' Blucher his 'conditional' support but must have known that his forces were too dispersed to concentrate and effectively assist on the 16th.

However, If substantial Allied forces can be despatched down the Namur road without losing the crossroads this would be potentially major Allied win as its prevention was what Neys new orders were all about.

However, the Namur road needed to be kept open to effect any support. Perhaps a substantial French force blocking this road might be a French win?

Ney inflicted more casualties on the Allies than they on him. A fifty per cent more Allied casualties than the French might be a minor French win?

Ney is often criticised for Quatre Bras and obviously the D'Erlon fiasco ( I will not have him present) was probably the key factor in losing the campaign.

However it is well to remember that he arrived at Imperial headquarters at 7PM on the 15th was given one ADC( Hermes), did not know his command or where it all was. He then fought the Allies., with its premier General to a standstill even though eventually outnumbered towards the close of the action, all with, allegedly a hangover!

I hope that I have provided a few ideas for you. If you can think of some more please let me know as I am open to ideas for this most interesting of battles.

Best wishes,

Chris

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress