Work in Progress

Dogfight

Posted by Wiking on 17 Aug 2017, 05:01

Back to serious modelling.
Boring modelling ... the rigging ... some more.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by FredG on 17 Aug 2017, 08:19

Wiking wrote:Thank you very much FerdG for your fast and informative reply.
So this explain me now why the D.H.2 in your earlier shown you tube video need no tank at the top wing.

Look again.
The gravity tank is fitted underneath the wing. There are three different configurations of the gravity tank under the top wing from late 1915 to early 1916 :-D
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Wiking on 17 Aug 2017, 11:10

Yes, there is. :oops:
It would be much better to go with the hard to get Eduard D.H.2 kit.

Because what is this (front end) and is it necessary for a late D.H.2 ?
Also I do (as you mentioned) check for the rigging. But more for build 1/72 model.
The very most are build Revell kit.
So I came across the rear end (second white arrow). I think It is important to scratch these small bit.
Instead my pilot is unable to steer his bird ?
And I need a window on the Vickers.
And a rod to link both wheels.
And the ammo holder left hand.
And ...
Wiking  Germany

Posted by FredG on 17 Aug 2017, 11:13

Are you rigging the control surfaces too? I think most would take one look at the rigging diagram and scream.

FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Wiking on 17 Aug 2017, 12:56

Great, thank you.
Wonderful rigging diagram. Make work much easier.
The internet show me one very well (Revell) build with white rigging, blue background ! In several sides !
I have to add some bits at the control surfaces.

But right now I am wrestling with a vitrine from Ikea.
And the very first picture in the instruction show to work for the door. But after several check ( I learn from my mistake in your D.H.2 video) It is the side wall you have to start. :-D
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Aug 2017, 13:24

Wiking--

A vitrine? Real furniture? I guess as long as you use the glass display case to show your dioramas, I will approve. Otherwise, don't let real life and real tasks interfere with your modeling!

:D
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by FredG on 17 Aug 2017, 19:01

A little more searching and I found this.

Early production DH.2 arrived with an impracticable flexible ‘wobbly’ Lewis gun mount, 2 bladed propeller, bungee or spring type aileron returns and had the 5 gallon emergency fuel tank fixed under the top wing center section.

..... the position of the emergency petrol tank directly above the hot engine was not thought to be ideal so it migrated to various positions on the top wing

This bit is new to me.

A 4 bladed propeller developed for another single seat pusher, the FE.8, was introduced in the middle of 1916 and improved performance.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Wiking on 17 Aug 2017, 20:07

Fred G wrote:
This bit is new to me.
A 4 bladed propeller developed for another single seat pusher, the FE.8, was introduced in the middle of 1916 and improved performance.

Ok, the models I saw with 4b are not wrong.
Finally it is now unimportant if a two or four blade propeller.I decide to use a clear round plate. To imitate rotation.
In your shown video, drawings, b/w pic it look for the human eye like a simple circle.
And make it much more easier for me.

The interesting part is that you right from the start of this thread give valuable info for the D.H. 2. :yeah:
And so I improve much more to the model as initially was planned. :-D
Wiking  Germany

Posted by FredG on 17 Aug 2017, 21:27

I have enjoyed the process, these WWI planes have long been a hobby of mine No doubt, as usual, I'll enjoy your finished diorama. After you've been rigging for 2 hours or so :-D
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by FredG on 18 Aug 2017, 07:52

That should read 20 hours :P
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by FredG on 18 Aug 2017, 20:11

This is a fairly good computer game model of a DH2. I don't think I agree with the ammunition storage but the rest of the aircraft looks authentic. Some details can be checked as the camera looks around.

FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 19 Aug 2017, 06:10

Wiking wrote:Yes, there is. :oops:
It would be much better to go with the hard to get Eduard D.H.2 kit.

Because what is this (front end) and is it necessary for a late D.H.2 ?...
So I came across the rear end (second white arrow). I think It is important to scratch these small bit.
Instead my pilot is unable to steer his bird ?

I can't match Fred's knowledge about these planes but I thought that front item might be a camera or a nose skid so I looked in "Janes" and online and it turns out I was completely wrong. :mrgreen:

That bump at the front is the compass housing or compass fairing. You can see the compass set in the floor of the cockpit in Fred's U-tube link. The body of the compass must have protruded below the fuselage and needed a fairing placed around it.

Re your rear arrow: Yes the tailskid was originally a simple fixed item but was later made a turning one.

Both items seem to have been later additions to the original plane.

This project is coming along very nicely, I agree with Susofrick Your painting of the old Airfix fFrench figures is excellent.

Those Tommies need to learn that they should raid the wine cellar AFTER visiting the Ladies.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Wiking on 19 Aug 2017, 06:18

FreG - fantastic!

Last night , early this morning I do the rigging and the steering mechanism. Ok, the simple way, no pulley as an example. But with the diagonal cable (profile) to the aileron I do not see there it was fixed. In your superb demo
at 1.27 I do understand immediately who. It is coupled with the steering cable from the cockpit pasing the last strut.

How does the up and down flaps at the upper and the under wing (4 pcs in all) are accessed?
I know and understand the function of the U connection at the top wing. The connection cable to the down flaps. Got it.
The underside (down flaps) link I know too. There are openings in the downside of the down wing (front). Are these the link from the cockpit to steer the whole mechanism of all four flaps? Logically there is no other option.

The interesting part is now. If you can understand my English explanation without drawings. :-D

Rise Of Flight:
First test of the steering function. Start the engine wit a lot of smoke. After a few meters the tail rise up.
The optical slow speed if the plane do a turn from the point of the observer on the Airfield.
On and off of the motor for the landing process. :yeah: :yeah:

For the Moderators:
I am sorry that it is right now less with figures. As soon as possible I will got back to figure painting.
Thank you in advance for being so cooperative.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Wiking on 19 Aug 2017, 06:20

Graeme, thank you for kind support.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Wiking on 19 Aug 2017, 06:26

Additon to my latest post:

Sorry to type you NAME wrong.
FredG.

And The D. H. 2 get a 4 blade propeller. Do you change it in the demo version?
Wiking  Germany

Posted by FredG on 19 Aug 2017, 09:36

Wiking wrote:Sorry to type you NAME wrong.
FredG.

I've been called a lot worse and no doubt will be again :-D :-D :-D :P :yeah:

The Demo is from 777's Rise of Flight. The virtual models we (AER Squadron) programmed were for the Microsoft Combat Flight Simulators.

Incidentally, the Rise of Flight basic game is a free download for those inclined towards simulated WWI aerial combat

I have now, after many years of searching, located a supplier of a 1/72 RAF FE2b kit at a very reasonable price MrsG is so far unaware that there is a pair on a sortie to this address. When she does find out she will blame you, Wiking, for rekindling my interest in these aircraft. :P

Who knows I may even get to start on my stash of metal mini models too.
FredG  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Wiking on 19 Aug 2017, 10:33

FredG wrote:
... for rekindling my interest in these aircraft. :P

Great! This is not the only one in my Dio. Now I know an expert on fire to this theme. :-D

FredG wrote:
When she does find out she will blame you, Wiking ...

:mrgreen:

:-D ?

:-) ?

:eh: ?

:shock: I am in danger ?

This magnificent man with his flying machine. Let us call him - what about, L.G. Hawker.
Still no engine nor propeller. :mad:

I totally underestimated the needed time for rigging and bits and bobs to add.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by FredG on 19 Aug 2017, 10:53

That is impressive rigging young man, kudos. :yeah:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 19 Aug 2017, 12:46

FredG wrote:That is impressive rigging young man, kudos. :yeah:

I agree :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Wiking on 19 Aug 2017, 16:56

Where are my glasses?
Wiking  Germany

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress