Work in Progress

American Civil War - Confederate Cavalry Charge

Posted by sansovino on 22 Jul 2017, 13:16

Hi,
here my last painted figures which will been part of a still bigger ACW diorama project.

The figures are mostly Italeri+Gulliver Confederate Cavalry with some figures of formerly Union Cavalry. I have alternate with Green Stuff many figures to eliminate repetition of figures and movements, to create a bigger variety of hats and caps and more variety of hair-styles and beards.
The Confederation was always short on supply and their uniforms and arms very improvised, so I painted them too in different manners. And every cavalry charge had their victims, so I created also some dead or hurt ones. And it was much work to be done with the Gulliver horses which hadn´t formerly any bridles.

I hope you will enjoy the first part....

The fifth photo shows quite good three riders of the same type: 2 in the first row and 1 in the last row which were changed with theirs hats, beards and arm-position.

sansovino  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 22 Jul 2017, 16:13

I like them. And I can't wait to see that diorama.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by FredG on 22 Jul 2017, 16:51

Show us more, I like these. :yeah:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by sansovino on 22 Jul 2017, 17:14

I will show quite soon more parts of the diorama-project. The Confederate Infantry-attack is nearly finished. And the Union-defense-lines are finished to 2/3. The Union cavalry is already alternated but has to been still painted.
I presume I will make it as a multi-part-diorama like my older Napoleon in Italy-diorama: 1 or 2 infantry-fights, 1 cavalry-fight, 1 or 2 smaller artillery-dio´s.
My biggest problem is actually the storage. My first wooden-closet is nearly full of dioramas and the second has a technical-problem to close the second-door. I have to repair it (or to find somebody for the repair) and than I will have again enough storage to finish some diorama-projects where the figures are still painted:
1) the Verdun-project
2) a multi-part diorama of a hussite-waggon-battle
3) an viking-saxon battle with a own created Ragnar Lodbrok
4) a roman-cartagian-battle

It doesn´t make sense to build a diorama without a good protected storage-space. And thanks my closet-problem I will have still the possibility to improve a little bit the painting of the figures (to shadow them more especially theirs faces).
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Traveller1865 on 22 Jul 2017, 20:27

Fantastic, can't wait to see more! But there's a serious lack of good ACW Cavalry sets, especially Confederate.
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Jul 2017, 03:22

Fantastic Charge.

There surely might be room enough for this guy too? BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by sansovino on 28 Jul 2017, 15:59

Thanks for your responses. I will see if I have still room for Beanos guy! I presume Eastwood would been a big gain for the confederate- side.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Graeme on 29 Jul 2017, 12:54

Wonderful painting, you've captured the spirit of what I've read about Confederate troops. Such a motely collection of non- uniforms, but don't they look magnificent charging out of the smoke like that.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Marvin on 29 Jul 2017, 17:52

Great work! I too like the choice of different colours of uniforms / non-uniforms and they're looking terrific as a charging group of Confederate cavalry.
Marvin  United Kingdom

Return to Work in Progress