Work in Progress

Phoenician barge

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 16 Jul 2017, 19:46

The wooden master and this resin copy produced by my friend Mr. Cryns.
The sea was sculpted by my fellow modeller Nikos Kosmadakis and is painted by me.
Progress so far.

Have fun. :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by sberry on 16 Jul 2017, 19:53

This looks already very promising! It seems another masterpiece by Kostis is on the way. I am very curious how it will look complete with crew and all.
You will cover the sea surface with some glossy varnish or something similar, I suppose?
sberry  Germany

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 16 Jul 2017, 20:07

Please forgive my wife's ability with the photos, It is already gloss. She will try a better shot. :oops:
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 16 Jul 2017, 21:39

Though the sea is gloss, the photos doesn't justify this well. :( :oops:
I hope for better photos in the future.
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Wiking on 17 Jul 2017, 04:42

Barge and water are fantastic done in any aspect.
Great respect to the modelling skill.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Egbert on 17 Jul 2017, 06:54

What a wonderful work... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Very nice pictures which set the bark great in scene.
Amazing 1/72 Masterpieces!!! :notworthy:
Thanks for showing!
Greetings :wave:
Egbert  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Fredericus-Rex on 17 Jul 2017, 07:19

Nice boat on perfect water.
Fredericus-Rex  Germany

In memoriam

Posted by Carlos on 17 Jul 2017, 10:19

Another master piece of good kostis on the way, cant wait to see the end result :P . Is it possible to know something about Niko's technique to make water?
The light-dark of the water is fantastic!!! :shock:
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 17 Jul 2017, 11:42

Dear Stephan, Erik, Egbert, Konrad and Carlos thank you for your kind words. :notworthy:
My friend Carlos have excellent holidays.
About Niko's sea: http://www.modelhania.gr/forum/index.php?topic=474.0
Though the text is in Greek the photos explain everything.
In case of my model there is a difference in the transparent waves and sea painting.
The sea is painted with Royal blue, then drybrushed with oils, and finally airbrushed with diluted "pebeo vitrail turquoise 17" which made a thin film.
For the transparent waves instead of watersoluble acrylic (silikon) was used Liquitex heavy gel with continous hits of the tip of the finger. Next day followed by Winsor& Newton medium passed with the finger again, but not hits this time. Finally Liquitex high gloss varnish sealed everything. :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by sberry on 17 Jul 2017, 14:51

Dear Kostis,
thanks for the detailed reply! Your friend Niko seems to be a very talented modeler, please send him my compliments. The idea to use a flame on polystyrene foam for creating the ocean surface is absolutely great! (I suppose this creates a lot of terrible smell, so one has to do it outside of the house and/or when the missus is not at home?) I have used plaster on a board in two of my projects, but this quickly becomes very heavy when you use it for larger areas.

The new pictures show the glossy effect better. Since I have used the glossy varnish method too, I know the difficulties of getting the photos right. In my experience the effect can be seen best when you have a light source from more or less the same direction as the camera viewpoint, because then you get these neat light reflections that give the impression of sunlight on a water surface.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Jul 2017, 17:56

I like all the photographs and the work upon both boat and the sea its self a work of art.

( This empty boat reminds me of the pearl divers who tied a rope to themselves and dived into the sea in search of great wealth. )

Two or three neat figures,( my choice two men and a 12 year old boy ) would certainly make quite a workable theme upon this rolling sea. Well done to all concerned.BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Hellboy on 18 Jul 2017, 07:56

Incredible! The wood of the barge looks really real !!!! :yeah: Very very nice!!!!!

The presentation of the water is overwhelming. Speechless!!!!! :shock: Perfectly realistic wave. Great color. Simply fantastic! :-D

A great project from you! I am very curious how everything is still developing ....
Hellboy  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 18 Jul 2017, 09:44

I can't say much more than others didn't say before me. Wonderful.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by stenfalk on 20 Jul 2017, 11:35

My dear Kostis, it's always unbelievable what wonderful works you form. The whole arrangement, the colors and the atmosphere are very lively, even without figures. :thumbup:

Slowly, i understand the secret of your woman's hair dryer. It must be as in the fairy tale "Aladdin and the Miracle Lamp", only it must be called "Kostis and the Miracle Hairdryer". ;-)

I have a request: would you be so friendly and would give me a close-up pic of the takelage of your boat? I am particularly interested in how the ropes are attached to the upper end of the mast. Google has not provided me with any satisfactory results. I would be glad if you could help me...
stenfalk  Germany

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 20 Jul 2017, 17:15

Dear Paul, Frank, Dali and Torsten thank you. :-D
@ Torsten
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact. :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by stenfalk on 22 Jul 2017, 10:23

Thanks a lot for everything!
stenfalk  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Cryns on 22 Jul 2017, 10:24

Dear Kostis,

I still can not find the right words to express my feelings when I see your work developing.
For me its a first time experience: to see a simple wooden barge glued together on my wife's dining table, turned into a spectacular sea adventure created by you while on the other side of Europe.
Thank you so much for building this ship.
I have not painted or rigged anything of this ship myself so every new step you take is both a beautiful novelty and, for technical reasons, very interesting to me.

And my deepest respect to your fellow Nikos Kosmadakis. Wow. A completely different way to make water.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 22 Jul 2017, 19:01

My dear friend Mr. Cryns,
I am really happy to read your words again in the forum. :notworthy: :-D
I am working on the 4 figures beyond rowers. After this I may change some small things at the boat, before start to work with the rowers. ;-) :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Jul 2017, 03:26

The rigging looks quite good. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 23 Jul 2017, 07:05

I am also following this "wip" with great interest. I have deep respect for making the rigging. I am looking forward to see some of Mr.Cryns ships and men produced maybe by a small company in the future. That might be interesting for a lot of people.
MABO  Europe

Next page

Return to Work in Progress