Work in Progress

"Butcher & Bolt Legend" project

Posted by Quepwik on 14 Jun 2017, 10:05

The story begins with the purchase of the D-Day Miniature figures.

I was looking for an original staging to stage them. The famous Chevrolet LRDG trucks have been seen many times, so I opted for a Roll Royce pattern 1920 but I have not found any historical photos proving their use in an "irregular" unit.

And then looking on the internet, I came across this picture :

Realized by Masaya Saito it does not seem to be there any historical reality but I found the retro side with LRDG equipments on very attractive.According to my research, it has simply never existed.Either it could have belonged to Paddy Mayne (one of the creators of the SAS) or one of his close friends (a history of car won in poker dragged here and there on internet).

The name of Vladimir Peniakoff, aka Popski, an atypical figure of the LRDG who created his famous "Private Army" also circulates.
Anyway I researched this vehicle and it is a Bentley 1930 Blower 4.5l which I hastened to look at my favorite scale. I came across this model in Diecast :

Even not afraid of the Diecast, my experience with this type of model for my zombie diorama was rather good. The model chosen seems quite detailed even if well on the Diecast has its limits in the smallest details. It is moreover on the plastic parts that this seems the coarsest.

Concerning the vehicle itself, one of the reasons that also could not have existed is the poor performance of this automobile, in particular an excessive consumption of fuel, incompatible with use in a desert environment. In pure speed, it nevertheless won a few records.On the other hand, there were already at that time vehicles much better performing for this kind of use.

What does that hold, coupled with the Black Dog LRDG kit for jeep, it should give a small model pretty nice.

So now, place to stripping the model and already several questions comes :
- How to work white metal? I am not necessarily equipped to drill, sand, etch and / or dig if necessary.- I really have to invest in a Puch & Die set because I have a few rivets to make.- I will have to get rid of spokes wheels that could match, or at least make "as if that". Because those of the diecast model are full.- I will have to rebuild the floor (nonexistent) and the rear tank (too coarse).
See you soon for the assembly of a small dio named "Butcher & Bolt" Legend.

Thank you for your attention !
Quepwik  France

Posted by Carlos on 15 Jun 2017, 00:48

I think is a very interesting project. A very original idea in fact.
When you published your first pictures in the Zombies I went for some of thse cars and was working with white metal, I was looking for information on the internet on how to do it, there is a group of hobbyists that is dedicated to tunear (improve?) hot wheels cars and they hang some information in the net ...Cutting them is easy, with a bow saw, sanding is not difficult either, but making holes is a nightmare, I try it with my Dremel but didnt work , with a manual wick I could but it took me a long time and broke several wicks ... nothing worked well. Maybe with an electric drill at low revs.
At the end, I just cut the holes with the saw bowl starting from the borders till the are of the prt in wich I want the hole. and wen finish fill in the line of the saw...hope you could find a better way to drill it. I couldnt.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Wiking on 15 Jun 2017, 05:33

Nice Idea.
Funny I come across the same pic in the internet too.
Real or fake? And I too find nothing about that car, only this Dio.
I took also (but the BMW, other project) of the Oxford models. It is real 1/76 and very very small for 1/72 figure.

An option for your dessert car plan:

It is an Bugatti Type 35. (OK no British)
From Replicars, ex R&L.
More easy to work with.
Surprisingly detailed also for today, at the body.
But you can get it only via ebay, etc.
The wheels are from Eduard for WWI planes.
I use the tire and spoke wheels from the Airfix bofors kit too.

As an idea please check my Race car Dio:
The Race is on
Cross the finish line
In the Air
As my Avatar.

And do not hesitate to ask if I can support you.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Carlos on 16 Jun 2017, 00:30

Wiking, these bugatti is a hit, but I cant find were to buy it.
Well, wath abouth a Bristish LRDG Bentley 1930 Blower aginst a Italian full armored and painted like a sahariana Bugatti...in a desert race competition :drool: :drool: :drool:

Its make me remember a comic, published in 1981, about a "death race" with military vehicles (half tracks, sdkfzs, jeeps cars and off roads vehicles and motorcycles, all armed with machine guns).
Think I could find some pictures about these comic...and Im thinking in...why not?. :P

Any way, its for another post I think, following your work Quepwick, please show the progress of this new adventure.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Wiking on 16 Jun 2017, 01:03

Carlos wrote:
... these bugatti is a hit, but I cant find were to buy it.

Yes it is not so easy.
I check ebay several times.
I bought one in a blister bag as a give away from gas station (JET) in GB.
One as in my pic as Replicar`s.
Or look for cereals R&L (Rosenhain& Lipmann) the origin maker.
I also bought a copy (Made in Taiwan) of it from USA. Quality is very good. Only the parts are in an different order at the tree.
In Mexico it should be all this molds of R&L I read somewhere.
So maybe they are not far away from you. But you have to find out the actual brand name.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Hellboy on 16 Jun 2017, 07:24

A very interesting project!!! :thumbup: A fancy story. :yeah: I'm very excited. I wish you a lot of fun and good luck.

By the way, I love the vehicle in the military look!!! :-D
Hellboy  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Quepwik on 16 Jun 2017, 07:35

Thanks all for support.

my work on the body have started. I'm sanding, drilling and cutting !

Photos soon
Quepwik  France

Posted by Quepwik on 17 Jun 2017, 17:41

The body of the car is now stripped. I also started to drill and I helped the entire back deck so that the crate was open. It was hard but now, it's done !

Quepwik  France

Posted by Quepwik on 19 Jun 2017, 21:46

Small advances therefore, the straps of the bonnet engine were redone with falls of photoetched. The opening above the engine hood is being finished to be a little better shaped. I go gently on the putty so as not to block the small holes.

The rear tank is also started. Also, plastic card and fall of photoetched.

Finally, in order to better compare, a picture with a Jeep Heller beside. We can imagine that the driver and passenger will be tight !

Now hard to find the Black Dog LRDG set at good price. I've buy the Eduard's wheels wire to see if it's possible to change them.
Quepwik  France

Posted by Wiking on 30 Jun 2017, 17:08

Spoke wheels:

Wiking  Germany

Posted by Quepwik on 02 Jul 2017, 10:58

Bolts bolts and ... bolts !!

Quepwik  France

Posted by Quepwik on 02 Jul 2017, 13:27

Thanks Viking
Quepwik  France

Posted by Carlos on 03 Jul 2017, 14:57

It's getting very good, you have good ideas for the stage of superdetailing / improvements / replacements, I think you have taken the hand of white metal, anxious to see the final result.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by MABO on 04 Jul 2017, 04:52

What a patience you have for making all these details. A very interesting project.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 04 Jul 2017, 08:16

Oh my! But it will be worth it!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Quepwik on 07 Jul 2017, 17:14

Little more :

More photos here : http://scale72world.blogspot.fr/2017/07/butcher-bolt-legend-part-5.html

And many thanks for help, support and comments.
Quepwik  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by stenfalk on 08 Jul 2017, 19:49

This car is a dream :love: . You bring my modelers heart to beat, boom-boom-boom. Can you hear it? :winky:
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Quepwik on 15 Jul 2017, 17:52

Little more on my car project :

Quepwik  France

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Jul 2017, 14:13

Great Project! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Wiking on 16 Jul 2017, 15:04

A lot of bits and bobs are added.
Paddy Mayne would be envious if he see this Bentley.
Maybe it is too late, an open door like the 1/32 up in the beginning of these thread would be nice.
Go on!
:thumbup:
Wiking  Germany

Next page

Return to Work in Progress