Work in Progress

postapocaliptyc 1/76 (Alice in wonderland)

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Mar 2017, 15:57

Brilliant Work Carlos,you are indeed an Artist with a certain unique style. :thumbup:

The Field Mouse is a crazy character too. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by FredG on 08 Mar 2017, 16:41

My my Alice! You have certainly grown up. :eh:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Mar 2017, 16:52

Following! Definitely following!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 08 Mar 2017, 17:40

Carlos wrote:After 30 days of vacations in Patagonia I am back with some small progress in the project. I was pushing the sculptures a bit. Just body's.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

I love your sculpting. :love1: I certainly agree with BB. You are a great artist. :notworthy:
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Carlos on 08 Mar 2017, 18:11

You are very generous with your comments, for years I did not sculpt a figure in its entirety.
I want to give each character a personality and make it more funny than dramatic.
The thing with the bodies and clothes I think is going well, although there is still a lot of polishing and prolixing irregularitys .
I think if I get the proper expressions on the faces the figures will look good.
The vehicles are also giving work, was very accustomed to military vehicles and these modified civilian vehicles are a challenge.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 08 Mar 2017, 21:59

Carlos wrote:I want to give each character a personality and make it more funny than dramatic.

I totally agree with you. One can see what you want to express by just looking your sculpting. :notworthy:
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Carlos on 09 Mar 2017, 00:23

Thanks Kostis, We will see if the result can be obtained. :-D
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by sberry on 09 Mar 2017, 10:33

This is a professional level of sculpting that only very few people achieve (I'm not among them, unfortunatley). So did you ever consider making casts of your figures and selling them? I am pretty sure there would be a market for them.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Cryns on 09 Mar 2017, 11:19

Dear Carlos,

For the last weeks I was wondering why there wasn't any new update of your progress. I worried a little bit that your clay roll body limb technique had turned into a disaster you did not want to share with us. :(

But the opposite has happened, it all looks splendid! :-D
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Glad to read that break was because of your holiday, not a setback in your work.

You are showing us some real brilliant sculpting work. The belly of the Bunny Boy, the cloths of the Mad Hatter. And the Kim K. bottom of Alice. :yeah:
I just love it all.

Good luck with the progress.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Carlos on 09 Mar 2017, 20:43

Many thanks for your words mr Cryns, all of you are really generous with your comments.
Abouth my holydays I have to say that I suffer a I kind of "abstinence" abouth the hobby and abouth cant check this forum, I am looking at the posts now, to catch up and I think I missed out on many things that have been published.

Sberry, many thanks for your comments. In the past i made some figures to reproduce,
not for me, for small (mostly unknowledged and semi-amateur) companies, because even when I usually reproduce with molds some of my figures or parts of them (basic bodies or heads or weapons or shoes and boots) with different techniques, I'm not able or I have not the time or desire for the commercial thing. But they were always military figures (soldiers of the ww2 in not typical positions or uniforms, Germans smoking and Australians in the jungle and things like that) or fantasy figures on other scales for wargames (minis?) but I do not know if any of those companies may be interested in postapocalyptic figures or science fiction,
Basically they are small companyes (sometimes in a garage) and have to sell their products, because they have expenses to cover (they work with resin or metal and have to make the molds and then the whole mail issue for shipments and others) and that is why the market imports and logically, prefering morecommon topics, ww2 or fashion (for instance when the war of Iraq began there was much request of modern U.S. infantry or modern British infantry) or modern pilots for arcrafts or helicopters which have a lot of output at least in the local market 1/72 of my country. But postapocaliptyc or Sci Fy, not sure.
I have not been in contact with them for a long time because I have not sculpted for a long time, but I will ask them if they are interested in reproduce these topics. Probably not, but if they where I will send you some figus fro free ;-) .
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Carlos on 02 May 2017, 22:07

Ok, afther a period of lazziness, im back. Sculpted figures finished and ready for the brushes.

The mad hatter.

The Bunny boy

And the superhot Alice...(more pics tahn the others)...and how you change from german paras to pin ups when you became old.

Look how well I got SA80 the rifle!!

and Yes I have to wash my fingers and ears before take pictures mummy...
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 May 2017, 22:40

Terrific Work!
Carlos,I love the buck teeth! On Bunny! The patches on The Mad Hatter, and the bottle pose, and Alice sure has a fine shape to her,and splendid looking boots and a rifle that I personally know well. Greetings from Fiddle Wood. UK BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 02 May 2017, 22:55

I am speechless looking at your creations! Every figure has personality! I am sure that the German paras should be terrific, but these are splendid! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Carlos thank you for posting!
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Wiking on 03 May 2017, 04:15

Great lifelike pose of all figure. I like the first one with the bottle. Pose is very nice. Weapon is detailed,
hanging down. The patches at his back. But all in all it is a nice build group of figure.
GO ON!
:yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Susofrick on 03 May 2017, 08:23

I am also speechless! Really great!!! And the faces!!!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Carlos on 03 May 2017, 17:01

many thanks for your stimulating comments fellows!!!
Well, yetserday I was working a little and now, can add some more pics abouth other characters.

Thos guy here is a scratchbuilt cyborg (only head was sculpted) he is in the evil "cards army".

and two more characters in the same way (postapocaliptyc survivors) but a little more serious.

Carlos  Argentina

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 03 May 2017, 17:07

So you was not lazy at all! The wonderful creations of you keep coming!! :thumbup: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Carlos on 04 May 2017, 01:50

Well, a little I did.
Now I will see wath happens with the paint.
I also have the vehicles, but not idea abouth wath to do with the base. Never work in this topic before.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Cryns on 04 May 2017, 10:47

Dear Carlos,

Its great to see so many pictures and updates. Thanks for those pictures.
You are much more productive than expected. :yeah:

Great figures. Great personalities. Great caricatures. Great details.
It is clear you have a lot of experience in making figures already.
All those details are most remarkable.

Like the face of Bunny Boy: can you tell us if:
a) you sculpted that face at once
b) you cut it out of hardened putty
c) you added separate eyes, lips and nose on a flat face.

How do you make tools and weapons? Out of metal?
Looks like those first three karakters are a group drinking from that great bottle.
I am curious to see how they end up together.

Mad hatter looks like Lincoln.
Most of these faces have pronounced chins. Does that say anything about their sculptor ;-)
I remember Franzett telling me after sculpting a face, every time the chin had disappeared when it was finished. Therefore he started to sculpt separate faces and glue them onto a faceless head. You show us the opposite. Very interesting.

Well done, very inspiring, all of it. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Carlos on 04 May 2017, 17:55

Well.
So many question for my poor englsih, hope you could undestend, and if it not, I will try again with a better translator than the one from google.

The first thing to say about the figures is that they have been made for my presonal use and quickly. That is why many "basic" techniques of sculpting have been left aside.
They are not figures to be reproduce (except the body of Alice), for instance thats the reason i didnt use the usual wire squeletum and just rolls of hardened putty glued with cyano for it, and why I make the weapons with plastic card or streteched plastic (the normal is make it with a metal wire or a shaft for a medical insuline needle that is the canyon of the weapon and the axis on which you sculpt the weapon with putty, but it dont happens in these figures, and that is one of the answers for your questions, weapons are in plastic).
Certanly these figures and weapones probably could not support the manipulation for a moulding process. Or may be, but no sure.

Abouth the "artistic" part of the topic, the figures of alice, hatter, bunny and cyborg will be in the same vignette.
If we remember the tale, Alice was a girl wh meet the mad hatter and the bunny to dink tea and then have problems with the queen of cards who have a army of cards.
Ok, the history is abouth a post apocalityc world, in wich Alice, Hatter and bunny killed a card soldier (who is a cyborg) and then they drink, but obviously, not tea, even when they have tea cups.
So the figures of Alice, hatter, and Bunny boy and the Cyborg face (that will be one of the evil "cards soldiers" of the Alice tale) are more "caricaturesque" (caricature?), its mind, more strong facial features and gesture, cause I want something funny, and strong personalities and of course characters that have to be in the line of the "alice in woderland tale". Alice have big lips, bunny big theets and bulging eyes (may be He will have circle lenses, like the one used by John lennon, but no sure) hatter a sharp face (sharp face exist in english?), thnik you find the propper example of this kind of faces, Abraham Lincoln.
Thir boddys are in the same way, laice have exagerated female feautures, the Mad hatter is tiny guy, a kind of "hyperactive" character, and the fact that he have the bottle suggest he is the leader, in his madness he cares about is "elegance", bunny is a little fatty (like a bunny must be) and a little nerd.

The other two figures, the beard guy and the squated woman who are for another diorama, have more "normal" faces.

Ok, now, the questions, I sculpted the faces in 3 steps, 1) face : Starting with an approximate form of a head, like a egg, just to have a "size" in wich work, then horizontal cleft for eyes cavities, then eyes, then lips, then cheeks, in the part lips and cheeks is the more dificult, cause there is the expresion (smile, laugth, fury, cryng, etc) then nose and then the chin (is the last part and when I cut the bottom part of the "egg". All of this with fresh putty.
Of course, all the work of sculpiting is finicehd with a hairbrush with water (or alcohol), thats is for not need to sand paper and to give give more "soft" for faces angles if you want.
2) Let the putty be hardnend and ears and hair.
3) let the putty dry again and hats, hellmets, auriculars etc.

Hope you culd understend, if there are someting that in not ossible to undstend ask again and i will try to explain in anther way .
Carlos  Argentina

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress