Work in Progress

WIP Bennos Figures Forum Great Miniature Figures Parade

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Mar 2017, 13:39

Well as long as I am a bed by 4 am,and up by 10 am,my day pans out quite well.

Undercoating during daylight hours is easiest, but I like peace and quite during the night and the early twilight hours for a more determined effort at writing and painting.

During the day the dogs bark as deliveries arrive and are picked up,and as people walk their tidy way wondering from the woodland of Fiddle Wood, and along the court yard of concrete slabs,where we live in our tidy little white ivy clad house.

Of course I will leave it to you Jan, how you wish to present my work,........

...... but I would like my smaller numbered figures `,The Prussian Musketeers, and Astronaughts ,`in the actual Parade alongside and hiding behind all the other figures donated by our over generous members.

The Parade is of course about presenting figures, but by far the real important numbers are those members willing to paint and donate, in a one off occasion . We might not get to see its like again here on,` Benno`s Figure Forum.' So if there are those members sitting on unwanted toy figures which they`ed like to donate, paint them up guys and send them in.One figure or two,and one stamp on an envelope is a highly affordable way to post worldwide.

:cowboy: "and it`s a lot easier effort than being a Cowboy Smilie!"
:sst: " or a timid button."
:coffee: "Well said." BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Marvin on 10 Mar 2017, 22:52

Beano Boy wrote:The Parade is of course about presenting figures, but by far the real important numbers are those members willing to paint and donate, in a one off occasion . We might not get to see its like again here on,` Benno`s Figure Forum.' So if there are those members sitting on unwanted toy figures which they`ed like to donate, paint them up guys and send them in.One figure or two,and one stamp on an envelope is a highly affordable way to post worldwide.

:cowboy: "and it`s a lot easier effort than being a Cowboy Smilie!"
:sst: " or a timid button."
:coffee: "Well said." BB

:coffee: "Well said, indeed..."
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Das_Dirch on 13 Mar 2017, 09:06

Hello,

this is my part of the Bennos Figures Forum Great Miniature Figures Parade 2017 :-D

I could not decide which figures or epoch I take, so now various march together. :mrgreen:

After all are primed, it goes on.

Das_Dirch  Germany

Posted by Susofrick on 13 Mar 2017, 10:09

These won't get any better now!I try to paint over my mistakes and my right hand shake a little and I have a new mistake to paint over. And so on. All the time. So these will have to do! Will paint their shoes and wash everything and then they are done! And I can go to painting Rotweilers or whatever! :-D One question, Jan, shall I remove their bases or will you hide them as usual?

And, sorry! The bottles from the caps are now empty! Burp! :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Mar 2017, 10:17

1806 Prussian Musketeers
I enjoyed painting these so much I bought some more.

A bit of touching up on the hats and then I`ll slap some varnish on these rainbow warriors. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Mar 2017, 10:45

Das Dirch,You made a wise choice to bundle them all together. That another 8 :thumbup: Bravo!

Very colourful Gunner, you have done well. :thumbup: What sort of wash will you give your figures?
I am a bit nervous about brushing stuff on my figures I don't want em to look like lumps of coal.
I have that glob quick shade but I hate using it. I have inks, but I have far to many figures to piffle about with inks. I guess I will sacrifice a few figures with a home made wash before I start galumphing mine.
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Edwardian on 13 Mar 2017, 10:59

Another couple of inches ...

They are intended to be British Volunteer Rifles, 1890s.

Edwardian  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 13 Mar 2017, 12:34

They are looking very exotic to me. Are they ready with grey uniforms? If this is so, can you give us some more informations on this unit. I never heard of them. Very cool paintjob! :shock: :yeah:
MABO  Europe

Posted by MABO on 13 Mar 2017, 12:35

Das_Dirch wrote:Hello,

this is my part of the Bennos Figures Forum Great Miniature Figures Parade 2017 :-D

I could not decide which figures or epoch I take, so now various march together. :mrgreen:

After all are primed, it goes on.

Hello Dirk,

nice to see some progress from you working space. This is going to be an interesting presentation as well. :yeah: :-D
MABO  Europe

Posted by MABO on 13 Mar 2017, 12:37

Great again, Paul.

I am looking forward to base them. Do all these units belong to the same brigade or division?
MABO  Europe

Posted by MABO on 13 Mar 2017, 12:39

Susofrick wrote:One question, Jan, shall I remove their bases or will you hide them as usual?

I think I will hide them. In the beginning I had another idea, but actually I will fix them with the base.
Good Work Gunnar!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Dad's Army on 13 Mar 2017, 13:27

Well since Paul is filling the parade for 95%, here is my progress on the 0,0003% :mrgreen:

But he will be at front, so thats enough for me ;-)

After several tries, speaking with the lord In a negative way, I finally got the flag right.
I made several flags, and this is the last one...
Made of paper, some wood glue, and some hairspray from my GF!
So I am a little bit further now, I hope to get some paint on him this month...
Busy as usual, so I keep up my slow motion on this figure.

Now first have to think of the colors...
any of you have suggestions?
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Mar 2017, 15:19

I believe them to be regimental colour facings for the Prussian Army of 1806.
The uniform colour plate came my way on an internet gallery for Prussian Uniforms 1806.
Complete ignorance of Brigade,or Division for this period.
Other than being Prusso - Saxon Army at Jeno 14th October 1806. OK?

They being differing types of purple trousers ( Overalls! ) and rainbow facing colours won Mrs B`s, vote and mine for the Parade.

As Gunnar was using Blue and Yellow,i cheated on some of my figures and added a yellowish desert sand on the overall trousers instead of a brownie colour. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 13 Mar 2017, 15:27

Dad's Army wrote:Now first have to think of the colors...
any of you have suggestions?

I think the flag should show the little Napi - the mascot of the FIGZ.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Susofrick on 13 Mar 2017, 15:47

Agree with Jan about the flag.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Dad's Army on 13 Mar 2017, 17:00

I was talking about the figure, a Nappy on the flag wil take a month extra :P
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Mar 2017, 17:07

Downsize FIGZ and slap it on. A reverse picture for the other side using a flip menue. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 13 Mar 2017, 17:31

Beano Boy wrote:Downsize FIGZ and slap it on. A reverse picture for the other side using a flip menue. BB

I was thinking of a orange flag, with 4 white letters....
But I will see what I can do, ohwww why do I listen to you guys... :oops:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Marvin on 13 Mar 2017, 21:01

MABO wrote:They are looking very exotic to me. Are they ready with grey uniforms? If this is so, can you give us some more informations on this unit. I never heard of them. Very cool paintjob! :shock: :yeah:

Following an invasion scare, lots of local rifle volunteer corps were created often adopting green or grey uniforms. If Edwardian wants to produce these commercially - he's got a buyer right here! :mrgreen:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Edwardian on 13 Mar 2017, 21:15

MABO wrote:They are looking very exotic to me. Are they ready with grey uniforms? If this is so, can you give us some more informations on this unit. I never heard of them. Very cool paintjob! :shock: :yeah:

Well, hopefully I have inched over the line with these. Ran out of daylight in which to photograph them, but I hope this gives a reasonable impression.

Thank you all for the kind comments so far, they are very cheering, and in answer to MABO, I thought I should say something about who these little grey men are ...

Well, having considered the Group Build, I thought something from my home country of the UK would be appropriate, and, as I 'volunteered' for the Group Build quite by accident, I thought my British soldiers ought to represent the volunteer movement.

In 1859 Great Britain reacted to the risk of war with Second Empire France by means of the Volunteer Movement. Many units of civilian Volunteer Rifles were raised. Characteristically they adopted grey uniforms and looked something like this:

The mottoes adopted by the movement, and sometimes carved over the doors of their drill halls, were "For Hearth & Home" and "Defence not Defiance", indicating that the volunteer movement was not an exercise in Imperial aggrandisement, but was concerned with defence against foreign aggressors.

The Childers Reforms of 1881 nominated rifle volunteer corps as volunteer battalions of the county infantry regiments, which also consisted of regular and militia battalions within a defined regimental district. As a result, over the next few years many of the rifle volunteer corps adopted the “volunteer battalion” designation and the uniform of their parent regiment. From 1881 to 1902, this meant they wore the red home service infantry tunics, often pictured with the glengarry side cap, though photographic evidence suggests that the transition to khaki service dress took several years to be adopted by all the volunteer battalions.

Some units maintained their volunteer rifle uniforms, but these now conformed to modern infantry pattern, presenting a sort of grey version of the red home service uniform. This is what I have attempted to reproduce.

The various Middlesex battalions were among those retaining their volunteer rifles appearance, which brings us to these figures, which are based upon the Inns of Court battalion.

The Inns of Court were an interesting bunch. The "Golden Thread" stretches back some considerable way, including the Bloomsbury & Inns of Court Volunteers, raised to thwart invasion by Revolutionary France. King George III admired them at a review and asked who they were. On being told, he muttered that lawyers were "the Devil's Own". To this day the Inns of Court is known as the Devil's Own, and still contains some utter barristers!

The continuous history of the unit dates from the raising of Inns of Court Rifle Volunteers in 1859. On formation in 1859 the Inns of Court were the 23rd Middlesex (Inns of Court) Rifle Volunteer Corps, and became the 14th Middlesex in 1889.

The Inns of Court sent a contingent of 30 mounted infantry, 19 cyclists and 1 signaller from the Inns of Court joined the City Imperial Volunteers for service in South Africa during the Boer War.

The cyclist figure represents the Inns of Court cyclist section; cyclist sections became a common feature of volunteer rifles and eventually, whole volunteer cyclist battalions were formed in the years before the Great War.

Along with the Yeomanry, the volunteer rifles were subsumed into the Territorial Army in 1908.

This is one of the images inspired the representation of the Inns of Court c.1897:

Edwardian  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress