Work in Progress

Italy before the Romans

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Dec 2016, 16:43

I like all the water effects, but still water is not my favourite.
However I was delighted in seeing all the photographs,
and admire greatly the painting skills. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by sberry on 31 Dec 2016, 15:28

Hi everybody!
This will probably be my last post on Benno’s Forum this year, and it should also be my last post in this thread here.
For various reasons, I had decided to use both acrylic gel and Vallejo Still Water in different places, and after an endless series of problems and troubles with the water surface, the project is (almost) finished today.
And tomorrow I can start taking the photos. A nice start for a new year, I think.
So thank you all for your interest and support for this project.

A Happy New Year for everybody

… and let’s hope that I don’t look like this tomorrow, when I want to start the photo session:

sberry  Germany

Posted by sberry on 07 Jan 2017, 11:59

Today I will finish photographing the diorama; there was some delay because one of the posters that I use as backgrounds was delayed. Then the real work begins – sifting hundreds of pics and selecting the best for presentation.
In the meantime, here is a teaser pic. Prehistory without some bizarre ancestor cult involving skulls would be only half the fun, so here it comes:

And, although unrelated to this dio, I also finally got myself to finish the PDF file for the Roman Baths project. It contains pictures not shown before, but nothing really revolutionary – the doll-house like design of this allows for only a limited set of perspectives.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 07 Jan 2017, 13:27

That teaser worked well, now I want to see more and very soon :-D

Pdf about Roman Baths is also cool... water is amazing, so realistic. But I like interior decorations as well. :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Kekso on 07 Jan 2017, 13:30

Stephan, I just browsed trough your webpage and saw many familiar projects. You're master of realistic water effects. :shock: What is your secret?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Cryns on 07 Jan 2017, 17:07

Yes very nice it looks. Good luck with the photo selection. Don't hurry. We will be online next month too.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 07 Jan 2017, 17:41

I eagerly wait for your photo selection! :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by sberry on 09 Jan 2017, 08:27

Kekso wrote:You're master of realistic water effects. :shock: What is your secret?

Many thanks!
For me, the real master of water effects (or any other aspect of diorama building) is Erik Trauner, I have to admit. But there are also other people on this forum who have presented a lot of very good looking landscapes with water.
Perhaps this is a part of the ”secret“, if there is any: Inspiration by others and trying to learn from their work. The rest is lots of experimenting – I think I have tried all major methods for creating diorama water over the years. Yes, lots of experimenting and lots of cursing when something goes wrong, that summarizes it pretty good.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 09 Jan 2017, 14:39

sberry wrote:lots of experimenting and lots of cursing when something goes wrong

What curses do you use when that happens? :xd: :xd: :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by sberry on 19 Jan 2017, 11:49

Kekso wrote:What curses do you use when that happens? :xd: :xd: :xd:

The words that I use in such situations cannot be quoted here, it would be inappropriate …
But right now I’m saying “Yeah, its finished!” because I have posted the stuff in the gallery section.
sberry  Germany

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress