Work in Progress

Ancient Temple

Posted by Cryns on 13 Jun 2017, 09:59

Phersu wrote:The latin name "scaevola" supposed to mean "left-handed" due to this episode, but I heard also that it's wrong common place... some say it truly meant something like "unhandy" or "ill at ease"

I am a left handed myself.... :drool:
The Dutch call clumsy people: 'having two left hands'.
But I have a right one too. :oops:

Phersu wrote:I like critics as well as appreciations (sometimes even more)

I am glad to hear you are not insulted (like some other people here easily are :sweatdrop: ) but use any feedback for a constructive goal. :yeah:
And yes I like your improved Porsenna very much, especially when painted.

A difficult question for me, when looking at some of your work and that of others, is:
Are the human arms too long? Or does it only look like that because their legs are too short? What makes it more difficult to all of us is: we are getting used more and more to sculpting styles using short-legged, fat figures designed with the purpose only to reduce their height and keep them within the right mm range.

But most remarkable and beautiful, by the way, is your Hermes: he is designed and sculpted so well! :notworthy:
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by DickerThomas on 13 Jun 2017, 15:35

:yeah: :yeah: Beautiful .. Great work, Leo
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by Phersu on 14 Jun 2017, 11:14

Mr. Cryns wrote:I am a left handed myself.... :drool:
The Dutch call clumsy people: 'having two left hands'.
But I have a right one too. :oops:

Well, Romans often tent to depict their heroes like examples of determination and bravery... sometimes forgetting the doubtfull goals they achieved! :mrgreen:

Concerning the left handed skillfulness... nothing to say, the list of outstanding examples is long: Einstein, Alexander the Great, Aristoteles, Benjamin Franklin, Julius Caesar, Napoleone Bonaparte, Winston Churchill, Michelangelo, just to list a few... :thumbup:
Not to mention my most famous homonymous from Vinci... though he apparently was ambidextrous, in fact he wrote left handed while used to paint with the right hand instead! ;-)

Mr. Cryns wrote:
Phersu wrote:I like critics as well as appreciations (sometimes even more)

I am glad to hear you are not insulted (like some other people here easily are :sweatdrop: ) but use any feedback for a constructive goal. :yeah:
And yes I like your improved Porsenna very much, especially when painted

From one side... is understandable that sometimes is not easy to criticize while keeping "diplomatic" in the same time... even when talking the same mother language!
From the other side, some people seem to take everything (and probably themselves too) far too seriously, and lack of self modesty.
Of course not all are keen to get a reciprocal friendly confidence, which allow any critics and even jokes... pity, they miss so much fun and I suppose it should be most uncomfortable behaviour! :( :xd:

After all our hobby (even more when it becomes a real work) is plenty of challenges that may become a competition... which can be good to keep improving, but may lead to some rivalities instead than a profitable collaboration, which paradoxically could be even more competitive and friendly in the same time. :(
I suppose most depends from the personality, even the worst critics can be felt like constructive hints from some, while it may feel frustrating for others... :(

Mr. Cryns wrote:A difficult question for me, when looking at some of your work and that of others, is:
Are the human arms too long? Or does it only look like that because their legs are too short? What makes it more difficult to all of us is: we are getting used more and more to sculpting styles using short-legged, fat figures designed with the purpose only to reduce their height and keep them within the right mm range.

I honestly don't know... in most cases I suspect is just casual and accidental, sometimes instead are clear tricks to achieve some particular effects or correct some mistakes... I personally like a little difference of heigth rather than all identical figures for example, but I realize I exceed too much in this difference in many of my old figures.
A different matter are the different body types, which are most welcome in my opinion... well sculpted figures are better, but even ragher conversions are ok unless well done and good looking... in some cases it just have to work despite of course non all can achieve good sculptures and perfect conversions!
We excpect that sculptors do their best (except in those cases of too low budget :neutral: ) still we can't expect it always, and everyone have his own personal style and skills level, and even the best sculptors can mistake and have some week points.

And i don't mean the volontary mistakes, which is another curious fascinating aspect of sculpting (and somehow painting too) worth to considerate and study...
The most famous example I think is the "Pietà" of Michelangelo, if you measure the left arm of Mary it would reach her knee when standing straight :mrgreen: , but if it was sculpted at the correct length the frontal look of the statue would have lost an important part which make it look much better... and I guess someone like Michelangelo wouldn't made such a huge anatomic mistake for lack of skills or by pure chance.

I'm not the best to judge that, perhaps I'm not so bad in many things, but I'm not so keen in getting the right proportions, and I should learn a better general correct view of the whole figure... :sweatdrop: :yeah:
Like in the case of Porsenna arms, it was just a matter of less a millimeter, but I noticed there was something looking strange, and still I didn't undestand what it was until you told me... while now it seem so clear that I don't understand how I didn't noticed! :thumbup:

The strange thing is that even when I measure the body parts to sculpt everything seem to be right, especially with the new mannequins... which despite an approximation sure help to keep closer to the right proportions.
But then sometimes in the final sculpt results in a slight difference... and at this scale even half millimeter can spoilt the effct.
Thinking well about, is not easy to take precise measurements neither, despite a rule, or a compass or a gage that can help better... but there's always our human hand approximation and parallax! ;-)
I'm begin to understand also that somehow, even with the right proportions, the clothing and armors shapes can make a big visual difference... changing the figures look, sometimes improving but sometimes spoiling some parts or the whole figure. :eh:

Mr. Cryns wrote:But most remarkable and beautiful, by the way, is your Hermes: he is designed and sculpted so well! :notworthy:

And that's another curious aspect, I planned well the other figures while I didn't put much attention for Hermes, I just placed the body in position and sculpted it without thinking much about it... I had in mind a less "relaxed-run", but sure the waving cloth enhances the visual effect of movement, that's another unplanned thing sculpted randomly without a precise plan or an example to copy.
After all is like music or driving, or many other creative artistic and techincal skills... once learned well some techniques, hands and brain then do some tasks automatically, and in the correct way... then, since the brain shouldn't concentrate on "how to do it" anymore, it becomes free to concentrate on "what to do"... I don't know if I get to explain myself! ;-)

Well, that's all for now... it's a very interesting matter to deep and discuss, but the figures doesn't sculpt themself, and as longer I keep writing as later the works gets done... I tend to digress to much and accumulate too much delay! :eh:
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by stenfalk on 14 Jun 2017, 12:32

It was very interesting to read your entry. I recognize my own situation in many of your words again, but i've never tried to write these thoughts down. But you explained that very well.
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Cryns on 16 Jun 2017, 11:04

Dear Phersu,

I want to thank you very much again for writing several 'pages' trying to explain your very personal thoughts. That is appreciated by me very very much!

stenfalk wrote:It was very interesting to read your entry. I

Stenfalk I tried to find Phersu's entry somewhere in this forum.... I did not find a real first entry by him and now I doubt if you mean his 'new members entry' or just his text in the post above here :drool:
I am so curious what you are referring to ;-)
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by stenfalk on 22 Jun 2017, 21:21

Mr. Cryns wrote:
Stenfalk I tried to find Phersu's entry somewhere in this forum.... I did not find a real first entry by him and now I doubt if you mean his 'new members entry' or just his text in the post above here :drool:
I am so curious what you are referring to ;-)

I am referring to Phersus post in this thread, i am sorry if i've used the word "entry" in a wrong context. :oops: :oops: :oops:
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress