Work in Progress

French napoleonic army support convoy

Posted by renikart on 12 Jul 2016, 23:49

Hi there,

I'm working on a small diorama with the French army convoy as the eye catcher. The base will be a slice of wood with bark, which is perfect for the scene I have in mind. Besides the convoy there will be a few artillery pieces and some infantry preparing for battle on a cloudy morning. Don't want to make it too crowded. Some of the best creations here on this forum tell a story, hopefully I can do the same...

Here are some shots from the -almost- finished convoy.

Enjoy!

renikart  Netherlands

Posted by Kekso on 13 Jul 2016, 19:08

Beautiful, I'm looking forward to see some progress.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by ADM on 13 Jul 2016, 19:20

Superb painting of this Italeri set ! :-D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
ADM  

Posted by Cryns on 14 Jul 2016, 10:14

Your painting work is exceptionally good! Most of us have this model in our collection, dozens of us have painted and posted it already but I can not remember these figures looking so good as yours.

renikart wrote:Here are some shots from the -almost- finished convoy.

How will you treat the metal work on the wagon and the horse team? Some of it is still green, some of it looks silver. Its a question that always pops up when I am building wagons: what does iron look like when its not painted? And why is it painted black so often when the color of the wagon can be used too?
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 14 Jul 2016, 13:17

Fantastic!
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by renikart on 14 Jul 2016, 16:26

Thank you very much for the compliments on the paintwork. I'm aware of the popularity of this italeri kit ;) It's a really nice and detailled set, so I can imagine a lot of people have this one in their collection. I really enjoy putting some efford in the small details to let it stand out and inspire others.

Mr. Cryns wrote:How will you treat the metal work on the wagon and the horse team? Some of it is still green, some of it looks silver. Its a question that always pops up when I am building wagons: what does iron look like when its not painted? And why is it painted black so often when the color of the wagon can be used too?

As for your question mr. Cryns; I use gun metal for the bare metal work, covered with a flesh shade. That gives it a bit of 'rusty' look. It's a bit in the eye of the beholder I think. For the wagonwheels I'm thinking of covering them with mud. Not sure what to do with the horse team yet. Do you have a suggestion?
renikart  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by vellek on 14 Jul 2016, 17:54

Top-notch brushwork!
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Cryns on 15 Jul 2016, 18:40

Good evening Renikart,

Here I show you my two similar wagons from 2006. It was my first try to paint with ink wash. I do not post these because of the paintingwork, since yours is technically much better. :notworthy: But hopefully it gives you some inspiration for the many historical variations that are possible with this set.

The pulling men are from Revell ACW Pioneers and from the Streletz French Camp.
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by renikart on 15 Jul 2016, 21:54

Hello mr. Cryns,

I admire your modesty, but this is a very nice looking small dio! I think I can learn a thing or two about modifying from this one. Love the chopped canvas tops. Thanks very much for the images, I'll certainly use this as a example for the finished paintwork.
renikart  Netherlands

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Jul 2016, 09:04

Splendid painting Renik, Wagon and figures sure look cool,crisp and sharp to my eyes. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MABO on 16 Jul 2016, 19:07

This is a great idea to convert the Revell figures Mr. Cyns. Maybe I will copy it, if I may :-D .

I really like this set. And it is right that one can see it painted very often.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Cryns on 16 Jul 2016, 20:05

renikart wrote:Love the chopped canvas tops.

This is funny Renikart. I did not understand this line of yours at all. I looked and looked and looked at my two wagons: what does he mean, 'chopped canvas'?
Until I realised I did indeed lower the hood from Western style to Napoleonic style. It is so long ago I forgotten about it completely. And shock :shock: I did not register at all the difference with your original hood.

MABO wrote:Maybe I will copy it, if I may .

Of course, you are welcome MABO, thats why I post it and why I joined Benno's Forum.

I still want to make a 'basket' version of this wagon, with wagon and hood made of twig wickerwork.
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Lacc on 17 Jul 2016, 11:00

A good painting job!! :-) :yeah:
I hope you will have a good terrain too!
Alfredo
Lacc  Spain

Posted by Chris on 17 Jul 2016, 23:18

Congrats Renikart, your painting is really good...
Can't wait to see the overall scene !

@Mr Cryns : I love your modification on these ACW figs, I've used to do quite the same ;-)
Chris  France

Posted by Siegfried on 18 Jul 2016, 12:07

lovely paintwork!
Siegfried  

Posted by renikart on 18 Jul 2016, 17:09

Thanks everyone! Hope to post some more in a few weeks. The terrain and scene are still in concept phase, this probably gets shape when all figures are painted.

@mrcryns haha, sorry for the misunderstanding. I think 'chopped top' isn't the right word for it, that's more a hot rod expression ;) glad you eventually figured out my interpretation.
renikart  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 25 Jul 2016, 19:19

Looks fantastic Renik! Don't let us wait to long to see the finished work! ;-) :thumbup:

@Mr Cryns: Is that a clown on that dappled horse? The horse with the many colors! ;-) :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Cryns on 13 Sep 2016, 10:53

Peter wrote:@Mr Cryns: Is that a clown on that dappled horse? The horse with the many colors!

No Peter, thats not a clown. Its a Captain du train d'equipage.
The horse comes from Sweden and belonged to Pippi Langstrumf.
The clown was left behind and today is part of Susofricks collection.

The whole dio can be seen here.

http://gataskog.blogspot.nl/2012/02/wild-west-dio.html

Susofrick I must say what you show us here is 100% of pure nostalgia. Its taking me straight back into the late 1970's and early 1980's again when there was nothing for sale except WW2 stuff and we had to be creative with old figures!
Me and my brother lost most of our Airfix horse bases too and my transparent replacements looked exactly like yours.
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Susofrick on 13 Sep 2016, 11:08

Oh my, that oldie! :-D Well, Renikart, I am looking forward to see more of this set from you. And our dear Mr. Cryns is much too modest. And I do hope that that captain asked Pippi before he borrowed her horse.
Susofrick  Sweden

Return to Work in Progress