Work in Progress

BB`s Unusual Canal.

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Oct 2016, 12:54

Thank you Peter,i must say that I have made little head way really.
I am very pleased with the water effect too. It only cost about £1.50 for the MODGE PODGE!
(2 mm thick)

Today I fixed the brackets supports along the back. I still have some to fix onto the right hand side.
When the glue has dried ,the back and side board on the right side will be stuck into place well supported by these simple but rather effective brackets. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Oct 2016, 21:28

Out came my old heavy books which are kept especially to aid my many projects.

And so It was Topsy Turvy Time, ( Meaning Upside Down ), requiring what ever angle was needed to get this backing board stuck into place. It made today very interesting indeed,because I`m a bit clumsy as always,and standing this thing up and stopping the water from running all over the floor was quite a feat in itself. So I opted for getting glue all over the floor instead,yes and guess who trod into it? ME!
I could have used other stuff to stick it on but my budget of £15.00 UK Stirling is nearing its end,and with only £5.00 left I want to arrive under budget not over it. My home style Castings are not included in that price. Nor is the glue that stuck fast my pair of sandles to the floor.

It must be mentioned if I had not bothered with all those samples this project would have been done and dusted. However guys at the start of work in April I had no idea on how to create water effects cheaply. What I watched on You Tube was far to expensive for this projects need.

Playtime for Shapes.

It was time for Spaced out ideas using tub`s and sponges to formulate another project.
:mrgreen: "As if you need another BB?"_________ :sst: " i kind`da like the shapes." Well it is the shape of it rather than what is actually making the design that interests me. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Oct 2016, 21:40

An odd photo I turned the camera around facing towards me and took the shot of the large roadway tunnel entrance. This is just one out of my stash I made in the early spring of this year.

Before placing it I must make the inside stonework of this tunnel.
So I will make a mould.

THE PATTERN IS MADE

I made this Pattern out of paper card which I scribed out and raised the stone with p v a glue. This will curve nicely to form the inner stonework. It took three and a half hours to make,but once the mould is made the time spent on making the complete mould will have been well worth it,because I have more tunnels to make up later.

Well I`m off to watch King Tut on TV. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Oct 2016, 04:29

The Impression Box designed by myself as always to assemble and disassemble using a few simple pins.

This sturdy box is up side down. On show are the bottom three brackets, two end plates and the rounded form in the middle.

This is the box right side up with the already formed first Impression pattern inside it.
I will trim the ends off later which are sticking up. When this is oiled up later,rubber will be tucked into the middle section filling the entire thing up. This will make the needed Pattern to make the inner wall and curved top needed for the tunnel. As already mentioned this box will come apart,and easily too in order to make the removal of the rubber Pattern easy.

How this shape was formed was in this order. A plain strip of card was scored many times with a craft knife across its width so it would easily form the shape of the brackets. Glue was brushed onto the unscored side and it was laid in place inside the box, and the strip of card which had been inscribed with the brickwork design was put into position on top of it.After being tucked in by hand, a heavy bag of metal shot gun pellets was put on top of these pieces which were forced down creating the required shape needed.

Lets see how the box comes apart?

Out comes the curved section.

The pins are taken out and end section is removed

With the other end removed the thing is disassembled in a few seconds. So the principles on how it works is quite simple. This means that I do not need to destroy the box in order to remove the newly formed Pattern. So if needs be I can make another without having to make another box.

I will be reinforcing the sides with another piece of styrene later.

I will not be showing the mixing up of rubber,but will hopefully see you guys later for the next stages and the end result. :-D
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 27 Oct 2016, 10:27

Paul, do you ever sleep? :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Oct 2016, 11:42

Well Dalibor,I was up throughout the night having typed one chapter of my book.
Then I photo shot my little breakaway box for the Forum. Then placed the first part here. :-D
I was in bed snoring away by 6:AM this morning, but up by 11: AM. So I had a little sleep. ;-)
The little first impression box as I call it, ( :coffee: D After all I designed and built it.), is ready to be filled with rubber. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Oct 2016, 13:10

I forgot to shoot the picture before but it was simple to put back into place again just to show how it was pressed into place by the metal shot gun pellets!

( The metal balls are the right size for cannon balls on another project.
So stuck up into neat stacks beside 20mm cannon or beside ships guns they are perfect . )

You might have noticed I`ve reinforced the little box further by winding sellotape around it. So it is ready and waiting for the rubber.

:mrgreen: "After the shot gun pellets have been removed."

:sst:" It always pays to have that strong sticky tape in ones stash."

It sure does. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Oct 2016, 11:20

Some of my pictures seem to have disappeared five in total,which is a something not down to me pulling the plug on them,but I take opportunity now to apologize for it all the same. :sst: "Sorry."
This can and does ruin topics,and there are lots of topics on the Forum that lay like desert wastelands because of it. I can replace the missing pictures because the posting of the originals is somewhat still fresh in my mind. :-D Have fun in your hobby.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Oct 2016, 13:13

I used a free photo posting site,and believe it to be linked to A SCAM! Obviously I cannot post the name here for legal reasons. It seemed a bit fishy after using it for a few days suddenly I get notice that they have been cut off by their supplyer and owe $12.000 which they must pay. They also added that if they shut down as a Site providing free image posting 140 million pictures will be lost. They want donations via Pay Pal.

I ask you all am I stupid ? :mrgreen: " No way!"___ :sst: " BB,aint stupid!"
:cowboy: "They ought to be plugged full of holes."__
:-D " Well BB,has shot gun pellets that would certainly do the job."

As I did not register with them I have given them no details whats so ever.
This matter is being investigated by others Cyber Crime - FBI, but I will mention their Site has been used for others to download Advertizing which were malicious software which froze PC`s when clicked on.
See you guys later. Take care BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Oct 2016, 00:33

Upon setting an eye upon this photo,I thought of Hellboy,who made mention that raising the water level upon his project might well bring it up to his little boat level.

Risking all at sea in a Narrow Boat is not recommended.

I wonder if it sank? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Oct 2016, 01:21

Having spent two and a half hours, and a further two hours at the hospital yesterday getting my left eye exaimined I have had no time at all for working on this topic,but thought I`d get two of my diecast models out of the collection. Having had them many years,i had not taken them out of the box until now.

The work is gearing up now for other enterprising stuff soon to come.

I have always had a soft spot for toys,and they normally live in their boxes within plastic storage stacks.

Work on the back drop, tunnels and road will be next on the list.
I must admit I have quite a warm feeling for eventually placing models on this layout.
:sst: " It`s called playing BB." It sure is and I have masses of them too,so it will be fun indeed. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Cryns on 29 Oct 2016, 11:52

Beano Boy wrote: You might have noticed I`ve reinforced the little box further by winding sellotape around it.

Exactly that is what I thought when I read your earlyer post: how do you keep those pins in place as soon as pressure comes to it. :yeah:

Are those the 1960's Airfix civilians on top of that horse drawn carriage?
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Oct 2016, 14:08

Thank you for your bright question Mr.Cryns,i will endeavour to answer it for you.
The styrene end plates as I call them are very soft having no real strength to them,and logically thinking to push pins straight into them would not improve their quality at all.

However there is a way to employ them that does.

The dress makers pins are put into place at differing angles so one is angled down and another nearby is angled up. By doing this the ends are locked into place quite firmly. It is based upon engineering practice of share simplicity! (Like nailing two pieces of wood together but without the need for a hammer! )

If you look at the curved bracket design in the pictures you will hopefully notice that these simple end plates will have absolutely no great pressure placed upon them as the rubber is to be pushed into place,but are an integral part at holding this simple breakaway box together. The 2kg of high quality steel shot gun pellets prove this theory of mine correct because of the pressure of such a massive weight applied .

The pins of which there are not many employed go in easily and hold the box square.
Likewise they come out the same way.The sellotape is a must to have,and a must to do too. Using wood would cost far more to make the little box. Longer to cut out and added screws or pins supported by glue would have to be employed which would be a waste of my time and effort,because I will only need to use the simple little box once in the process of making my master pattern.

I often like to explain rather than just show an end result of my work. It is my nature to do so. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Oct 2016, 16:48

Sorry I forgot to mention the figures.
They are LLEDO LIMITED ENGLAND toy figures from their DAYS GONE Range of diecast toys. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Oct 2016, 23:28

The pattern that will be produced will be similar to the one below which I made several months ago.

It has simple rounded ends pinned into place and the pins are placed as described before. The Plaster of Paris was brushed onto the pattern and gradually there after built up and strickled off level using the rounded edges as guides. When hard the inner brickwork for my other tunnels were formed,and the removal of the pins made it possible to take both styrene ends away making the casting very easy to remove.

My Topic on Tutorials,"The Rubber Mould" ,deals with this method. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Nov 2016, 04:16

Applying P V A Glue

A couple of coats were applied on the inside walls in order to water proof them.
This will avoid problems caused if the rubber stuck to the paper card.
It`s a little bit of added insurance.
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by DickerThomas on 03 Nov 2016, 12:56

Many Thanks . BB :thumbup:

there is so much "Input" ... :oops: .... :xd:
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Nov 2016, 10:31

Some of my photo`s are missing as I look at this topic. Sorry if others are effected too. It is odd because the appear later which very strange. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Nov 2016, 11:03

It was a cold day today the 3rd of November and the sun in a golden haze was low in the mid afternoon sky as Mrs B,and I with Bella tagging along went into the wooded area where we live. This was my second walking trip of just over two miles,and my legs are getting stronger after my long long years of absence from the dog walks with my Mrs B. Sure the trip through Fiddle Wood and around Catton Park we call the Nature is a lot slower with me along,but doing so was so much fun to be enjoyed. Film & Photo Shoots with my camera made it even slower. The massive trees still hanging onto their leaves are a collage of Autumn colours.

My morning partly involved getting rather flour dusted, as I dipped my hands into the well remembered routine of scratch-building again.

So the job in hand today was filling the Mould.

Imageimage url upload

The Table was well prepaired with everything that I needed.
Although no baby powder this time.

Imageupload gif

A few minutes later the stuff was mixed up and shoved into the little box.
This combine mixture weighs 1Ib,and cost £3.60 UK Stirling to make. The little box 50 Pence.
Readymixed stuff bought would cost between £15- £50 to make a Rubber Pattern this heavy.

My aim was and still is to help scratch builders make their own individual stuff,and not just copy what I do. Patterns come in any shape or form but making your own rubber mix can aid and keep money in your pocket instead of someone else`s cash draw.

As some might well be new to the Forum

Mixing the Silicon Rubber is dealt with on my Tutorial,
"THE RUBBER MOULD",on Tutorials here upon this Forum.

ImageThe little piece over made the Snowman, an added piece of eccentric fun.

A hot soapy soak for the Pattern

The Pattern and rounded over end plates. I like to place a tick on the outside edges this makes sure that they will be in alignment when pined in place.

It is ink that is on the Pattern,but that is no problem. The end plates are fixed in place by angled pins.

Two scrap pieces are pinned onto each end.

Each end is filled with a creamy-like mix of Plaster of Paris

The top was gradually filled with the same plaster and rounded off with an old butter knife.

I wonder what the result will look like when I remove the casting? :mrgreen: " We will see later."

:sst: " It should be Ok!"__________Sure it well BB

I`ve replaced the missing photo`s so if they appear again there will be some double pictures.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 04 Nov 2016, 11:21

Great! And I love your snowman! And as you said on another place in the universe he won't melt! :-D Don't think I will make any, there are enough for my dog to get to know as it is. :-)
Susofrick  Sweden

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress