Work in Progress

BB`s Unusual Canal.

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Nov 2016, 13:39

It was a good result. :-D

It seems PhotoBucket who own tinypics have shut down my account whipping all my pictures on this topic,and so lots of my work has now been ruined beyond redemption because I have so many topics on this Forum. It is out of my control. I fear many a Book on the Forum is now to lay like a desert void of pictures.

Like cutting a wedge of Edam Cheese it was sliced out. Well this is tougher than cheese so it took a bit of effort but eventually it was removed. One could ask why not slice it out when it`s first put into the box while it`s soft? Well this action of cutting away a wedge pulls the rubber away from the Pattern because its sticky stuff so one ends up with a messy casting so much better I do it this way.

With the wedge out I used my thumbs to push the rubber away from all the edges pushing lightly towards the middle to break the seal and so the rubber springs away gradually from the Pattern as the air enters. Working loose both sides means that eventually the Pattern falls away while applying very little effort indeed.

Everything went to plan and I`m pleased with this first tunnel from using this simple and very cheap method of modelling.

I will silicon the entrance on after the casting has dried out white,and has been dipped in a wash. So that will be in a week or so.In the mean time lots of quirky stuff needs doing.

I will need three more for other tunnels of which the entrances were cast up way back in the spring.Then the Master Patterns and other moulds will be destroyed. I show the paithway I do not labour upon it,for others. This is my little hobby not my living.

Well that's two more pieces to the puzzle. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Nov 2016, 02:13

I managed to post a few pictures here but I think this is the end of the road for me here as a scratch builder. Every picture has gone,and moved to tears I cannot say more. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Nov 2016, 16:03

I`m using a Free Posting Site to download pictures. If it works out fine I intend to support it with cash.
I have whipped away the advertising because it in my opinion it distracts form the topic.
Click onto any picture to gain access to that Free Posting Site.BB

As I could not record the removal of the Pattern,and the case being I need another three to be made Mrs B, :thumbup: kindly snaped a few frames for me. Of which I am most greatful of. Here they are just scroll down.

It took as long as it was for Mrs B,to click away 10 with my Camera.

It is just a matter of pushing with the thumbs.

Below the other side.

The bottom.

As more air goes in It starts to pop.

Out it pops with no real effort at all.

:mrgreen: "If a Fiddle Wood Gnome,can do it anyone can."

It took me just over four hours to make the brickwork Pattern,the little box,and make the rubber Pattern.
This is a time saving system for myself, because I can cast one up in less than 10 minutes.

I`m not as tidy as Santi,I believe in showing my creative dust. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by KenzoSato on 06 Nov 2016, 17:27

Great job
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Sep 2017, 16:35

:cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:
"Back In The Saddle Again",on this ongoing oddity of Norfolk Charm.

Last year i made all the tunnel entrances, and i perfected a very good but an effective way to fill up my canal with water. So my little boats can bob along to my hearts content.:-D
Soon Angler`s can dip hook an line in the water,as there are good sized Pike swimming within these man-made waterways. They being large enough to take a big toe clear off if one was dangled in the water. :-D

This time i am dealing with the supportive walls that will face and flank the raised canal.
On the left of the picture above low castellated walls will be put into place along that entire edge. Then a grass sloop from the other side of it will allow in placers for stone steps to gradually lead down to another larger supporting wall,and below that the sprawl of the railway,and where the little township of Honey Well lays.

The larger spaced out walls will hold back well the weight of so much water flowing ,and support the six railway tunnals like a magic Merlin charm. They will also save a little space on the layout below for new affordable housing is being put into timely place, as this is 1957 and the bombsites are finally being replaced with new development alongside the railway. ( The scars of WWII are finally being filled in. A vivid remembrance from my boyhood and my carefree days of playing on the bombsites with unforgettable friends. Arnie,Cookey,Davey,Latty and myself Howsey, in deep thought are still there. ;-) )

To raise a point i need to use one for such walls need raising up and digging in ,,, as finding the pattern detail rather thin i decided to scribe around each stone.

It is no big deal,they are after all tiny stones, and the work is very easy and requires no brute strength to achieve a good end result. Deeper scribed in this way means natural shadow can hide out like :cowboy: wanted outlaws,creating a much more visual effect when viewing across and along the layout.

Hope to see you very soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Wiking on 05 Sep 2017, 04:03

For a "Fiddle Wood Gnome" not bad at all.
:-D
Wiking  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Sep 2017, 23:01

The first wall section has been scribed out,and the other one sets a contrast and it certainly proves a good point why i decided to enhance the work. It took four hours extra work,but was certainly a delightful way to reach my satisfaction level.

Real House improvements are on going here with gas fitters upgrading the heating system. So I will find a peaceful corner and scribe the other 14 wall sections out for the model railway. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 07 Sep 2017, 00:20

Respect Paul. Very detailed work for such a big project!!
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Graeme on 07 Sep 2017, 04:24

It's good to see more updates from this excellent project.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Sep 2017, 04:26

Thank you Kostis,for commenting. Respect is a worthy gain.
With quirky bits added,these will be ironstone walls.
Which should prove very interesting to me with my 4 inch brush! :-D
Rhetorical question; How does one keep a good clean edge to a 4 inch brush? ;-)
:sst: " feel free not to answer." ____ :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Sep 2017, 04:48

Thank you Graeme. Now I`m off to bed. Sleep where is your pillow? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Sep 2017, 18:06

Lets see if i can add a small door to this wall section.
:sst: " bb,might end up spoiling the look of the wall."

The shape of the gothic entrance was scored, and the spoil was hacked out,i needed a deep recess which was scraped and scribed out level. :-D Great fun!
:sst: " i was only kidding." ____ :mrgreen: " That`s OK. Perhaps BB,will spoil the door?"

At this point the last of the stone needed scribing out.
I used another door,the first being not to my liking.

Finally after four hours work.
The little door was settled in comfy-like into the old stone wall. :coffee: Time for me Tea! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Sep 2017, 19:47

A great tip i would like to pass on is this. The hand scriber has a a file down its stem,and this can cause chaffing and blisters.

So put the plaster around the metal like i did rather than upon hurt saw skin. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Sep 2017, 19:50

:sst: "sore skin. silly bb." I was only testing you. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Sep 2017, 17:49

High guys it was dipping time today and all the castings dried in a few seconds.

To the front the first double sided wall I made,but decided to downsize it further by half because only one side of the massive walls will be on view.

The medieval gothic style doors are loosely refitted.

Extra dry brushing will take place later.

The the 12 foot wall construction will neatly be silicone together with buttresses between each section and thus in short time will complete the supporting stonework for my unusual canal. As it sits upon my model railway the two will knit nicely together.

All produced from my rubber moulds. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 22 Sep 2017, 18:15

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Wiking on 22 Sep 2017, 18:55

He build the Chinese wall! :shock:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by FredG on 22 Sep 2017, 21:17

Wiking wrote:He build the Chinese wall! :shock:

It's the Brexit wall :P
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Sep 2017, 08:18

Now, now, no political jokes FredG. The Moderator could rap your typing fingers !
:-D Of course that comment is meant kindly to steer other type jokes away.
:sst: "bb`s only got one."____________ :eh:" One what?"_________ :mrgreen: " One typing finger!"
:sst: "very true."
Tap,tap tap! Have fun guys i most certainly do. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Carlos on 24 Sep 2017, 15:20

It's Pink Floyd's Wall... :-D :-D :-D

Really a great job
Carlos  Argentina

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress