Work in Progress

Tyre 332 BC

Posted by Peter on 14 Sep 2016, 17:28

Somehow I believe you hacked another appartment. All those houses, which look great BTW, must take a lot place! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ben90 on 14 Sep 2016, 19:29

Awesome!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Sep 2016, 20:42

Splendiferous Work!

A finely dry dusted groundwork between those buildings stirred up by many a flip flop of passing feet, has settled well in my imagination. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by sberry on 15 Sep 2016, 09:29

This is really excellent! The precision and the level of detail are just superb.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Cryns on 15 Sep 2016, 11:40

Gentlemen thank you all so much for your encouraging replies!

HOME MADE ANCIENT MALE DOLLIES: ANCIENT GALLEY CREW DISEMBARKING

After watching MABO's film about figure sculpting: http://www.mabopictures.de/modellwelten5.html
and reading je_touche's tutorial on how to sculpt figures ... viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4535
this summer I tried to sculpt, mold and cast my first set of scale 1/72 figures.

Influenced by Phersu making his set of female dollies I tried to sculpt 18 ancient male dollies with the aim to turn each of them into several variations.

Therefore I had to cast their basic bodies first, something I never did before
With technical support of Kostis and Beano Boy I tried casting and molding. Inspiration came from Phersu, Alex, Frankzett, Entrauner, Sho, Franznap, Ben and many other visitors of Benno's Forum. Thank you all so far for this.

Some figures will stay naked:

Some will be dressed with lots of stuff:

They already learned how to dress themselves:

And some are dropping something:

It is all still in progress. Work continues on the first 30 figures:

Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Susofrick on 15 Sep 2016, 11:51

Wow! Some of these poses are totally natural and never before seen in this scale (I think). :-D One of the really great things with this forum is all the nice persons that sculp their own figures! And the overall athmosphere of course. Really good figures!
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Sep 2016, 13:24

i soon realised these poor impaled guys must be suffering far worse agony than little o`ll me.

i must say Mr .Cryns,
(" Funny Bunny Ears!" ), that your work is Stupendous & Stunning to say the least my friend.

Slap Copyright on them all,is my best advice before endeavouring to get them produced by some Company. :-D "Or produce them yourself."
Or just keep them as a special collection for yourself as they are.

There will however be a limited market on these because they show all their Tackle!
Even Charlton Heston had a covering in BEN HUR!
Of course it does not shock me because it is art and i am no fuddy duddy prune.

Whatever little imput i had at the beginning of your adventure is way over shadowed by the Cool Artist that you are. Congratulations on your Splendid Results! :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Frankzett on 15 Sep 2016, 18:07

Great idea to make an ancient shipcrew disembarking. And now we need a galley slipped on the beach ...
Frankzett  

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 15 Sep 2016, 19:26

Well done! Bravo!
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 16 Sep 2016, 11:17

Concerning highlighting, ( Eugenij's post ), it works well with me mixing white (not only) oil paint in different percentages with enamels
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by entrauner on 16 Sep 2016, 11:25

most impressing work!
entrauner  Austria

Posted by Cryns on 20 Sep 2016, 10:00

Gentlement thank you all so much for your great replies

Susofrick wrote:nice persons that sculp their own figures!

:oops: Is this about me too? :oops: Well thanks for that.

Beano Boy wrote:Even Charlton Heston had a covering in BEN HUR!

I would say Heston was the first to cover his tackle since that's a Christian Hollywood movie.

Frankzett wrote:now we need a galley slipped on the beach

I hope I do not disappoint you too much in this.
But what about your own paper build quinquireme? Did you make any progress?

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:enamels

I started using acrylic paint ten years ago and never returned to enamels since.

entrauner wrote:most impressing

I feel honoured reading these words.
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Cryns on 21 Sep 2016, 10:58

BEACHING A GALLEY AND DISEMBARKING ITS CREW

This Greek naval crew re-enacting the rowing practice aboard of the Olympias, a replica of a 5th century trireme, reminds us of the fact that there was no room to sleep, dress, eat, walk, pee and shit on board of such ships.

For that reason a 200 man crew had to go ashore twice a day, for lunchbreak and for camping at night and having dinner, since 200 men sitting on the topdeck would make such light vessel turn over and sink.

Here some moving action images:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7da52cJLwW8

Now I try to imagine, with a fleet of lets say 100 galleys, what it looks like when 20.000 men go ashore at once. I made a rude photocollage sketch of that:

These are in fact Hindu's celebrating at the beach but I imagine the same sea of (naked) people streaming out of those galleys and building camps and 1000 fires.

In case of only rock coast available galleys were anchored. In case of sandbeach, which is preferrable for camping, the ships were beached. For this purpose all galleys had embarking ladders on board. They were often hung at the stern so they would not occupy any already scarce space on board.

The Olympias carries two single ladders.

But vase art often shows double ladders to enable two sailors at a time to board or disembark. Not to confuse the ladders at the stern with the railings on the deck.

So I build two double ladders using wood and a micro drill:

On board of one of my seven galley's it could be attached diagonal like this:

Or more horizontal:

It is difficult to find pictures of properly beached galley's. It was common to beach a galley with the stern since the prow had a ram that would drill itself into the sand or rock making it almost unable to unbeach again. Hollywood (Troy) and computergames usually but falsly show galleys beached with the prow.
It is as difficult to find descriptions of how such beaching and disembarking took place.
It is the great illustrator Peter Dennis again who has been painting accurate images of that: here a Phoenician trireme at a beach during the battle of Salamis.

On another picture he shows how beaching was common practice even in a harbour situation.

Also this modern classic painting from National Geographic shows Alexander the Greats landing in Asia Minor correctly with the galley's backwards using double ladders.

Since I can find no information on this, I try to imagine myself how it works:
1) The deck crew of about ten sailors remove the sail (if used at all)
2) The galley is rowed backwards towards the beach until its stopped by the sandy bottom of shallow waters.
3) Halve of the 170 rowers, those FROM THE BACK of the galley, jump into the water. The other halve stays aboard.
4) And so the stern raises and the prow is going down. This enables the men in the water to pull the galley up to the beach.
5) Once beached, the other halve of the rowers, the deck crew and marines disembark by jumping or climbing down the ladders, taking water, food and camping gear with them.

Behind this bronze age warrior some sailors pull a galley ashore using ropes attached to the stern. I am afraid they will pull the back side of the ship apart this way.

It would be safer to fasten the ropes to the ram which is the strongest part of the hull and pull it backwards like depicted in this drawing of an ancient galley shed:

Once the galley is beached the remaining man on board can jump off in sea or sand. Or use the ladders which are most essential for embarking. The only proper ancient depiction of using such ladder is this one showing a hoplite entering a galley at the stern.

Note how the ladder is not positioned at the topdeck but at the middle deck were the rowers are seated at three levels.

So there are two possiblilities for positioning the ladders: the topdeck or the middle deck.

Since the bulk of the crew is at and below the middle deck, positioning the ladders here makes most sense.

I made a three dimensional sketch to see how that would look like:

From the topdeck, the crew had to take a much longer way: first climb up the topdeck, then climb down a longer way down again.

The only disadvantage for climbing down from the middle deck is the lack of space to reach the ladders, climbing through narrow openings in the construction.

Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Susofrick on 21 Sep 2016, 11:23

Hmm, you made a three-dimensional sketch just like that? :shock: Very nice work! I'm just skeptical about the sketch-status, to me it looks much better than just a sketch. But that's me.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Frankzett on 21 Sep 2016, 13:53

Well this looks like big deal. I think too, the rowers were (nearly) naked in rowing action, and by disembarking and loading at a beach. But I think we can assume that they had pads for the rowing seat, fastened at their asses, this could be a further detail with your figs.
May be once there were pulleys, ropes, some timbers or wooden pieces for hauling the ships on the beach, lots of waterproof sacks of animal skins, the rowing bars for tents ect. at the beach ...

Greetings
Frank
Frankzett  

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 21 Sep 2016, 16:40

Amazing!

Frankzett makes a good point here:
But I think we can assume that they had pads for the rowing seat, fastened at their asses, this could be a further detail with your figs.

Or maybe the pads are on the benches.

Maybe one or two hasty guys jump in the water?
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Alex on 21 Sep 2016, 17:59

Bravo! High energy comes from these little green men! Great project!
I enjoy the liveliness of these figures. :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Alex  Russia

Posted by stenfalk on 21 Sep 2016, 20:29

What wonderful project. I'm in love... :love:
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Sep 2016, 01:47

Well i`m no shipwrite that's for certain.

However any oblong boat with masts and sails need equilibrium in which opposing forces are in fact balanced in order to try and avoid it capsizing. So therefore the reason for Ballast. In heavy seas this type of craft would have been very unstable to say the least,and so did they have stop-plugs to knock into those lower oar ports, they being so close to the waterline ?

Did they have forged anchors,like a type of grappling hook design,or heavy stone ones?
There are so many interesting questions we can never really get the answers to concerning the age of antiquity,or even the middle ages.

Sails on boats tend to get used,so these guys were not rowing all the time.
In sea battles it would have been another ball game. Different!

i am thinking if men were cramped inside an area in which they could not stand up in,they would soon become disabled in a most painful way,and pretty darn quick.
So my conclusion is in agreeing with the simple illustration shown below. They stood up,and probably took turns at sitting down in that bottom section.

The poses lend a certain animated look to the scene which are all bare butted originals. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Sep 2016, 02:22

i forgot to include this,so i`ll add it now.

What with having no Head at the front of the boat,
i guess for convenience sake, bare Butts hung over the sides?

Having no toilet paper on a roll would have been extremely unpleasant for all concerned. :shock: ! BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress