Work in Progress

Tyre 332 BC

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 26 Apr 2017, 18:47

I am really happy to read that everything is intact! :-D The soft mold is rather advantage!
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Cryns on 28 Apr 2017, 09:43

Kostis I immediately tried your friend's way to use the laptop as a background:

Also I am very :-D I succeeded in casting my sculpted man in one single piece including the bronze canteen.

But that was with a little help from Phersu showing us how to use copper wire inside the casting. I developed my own 3-part mould technique that I will demonstrate later on in this topic.

It is very difficult getting some interaction between figurine and digital people because of the limited focus in macro shots:

Waiting for my 'penny wise pound foolish' moulding rubber to cure, I used those two weeks to design and sculpt 14 new sailors for my Ancient Greek/Phoenician merchant ships:

Helmsmen steering portside:

My plan is to make nude men first and dress up their copies as Greek, Syrian, Phoenician, Carthagenian or Roman sailors and labour men.

The construction of the cargo ship....

...requires very specific poses, like this man walking from prow to stern or back:

WIP pic of the sculpt:

I planned to design a whole series of man pulling ropes, not only for ships...

...but these will also be used for building sites like the enforcement of Tyres city walls at the spot were Alexander the Great build his siege mole in the sea...

WIP pic:

These men can handle cranes, pulleys, wagons and sledges.

All sculptings are original poses so no copying of already existing bodyparts:

Some very specific poses like the lookout in the mast:

And the dangerous work on the yard which was minimalized by the ancient's clever use of hallyards:

Several poses are designed with one foot on shipboard (or stone block in case of building site)

All the techniques thought to me by Alex Gusev will be practised as good as it gets: so Alex if you ever reed this: thanks a lot again. :-D :notworthy: :love1:

Critical feedback is welcome!
And important for development.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by rayloryan on 28 Apr 2017, 10:26

Fantasitic project and i love it!
rayloryan  China

Posted by Wiking on 28 Apr 2017, 10:28

Wow, all these drawings, plans. Then the copper wire people finishing
into green man (Martian invasion? :shock: )
And all is self made.
In comparison to my Dio are most of it with 90% of available things for everyone.

Your 3rd pic the background is well done! : :-D
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 28 Apr 2017, 10:43

Wiking wrote:Your 3rd pic the background is well done! : :-D

I also think so. :-D

As for the new figures: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by MABO on 28 Apr 2017, 11:09

Very good job Mr. Cryns. Seems to me that you have a lot of time for the hobby, that is enviably. Your skills creating human beings is growing in a very short time. And your figures have a nice personal touch with special unique details like the toes or fingers. Maybe you can present some of your stuff in Arnhem. Chapeau!!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 28 Apr 2017, 12:03

Hello Mr C.

Your expertise seems to grow by the week. Inspirational modelling.

Informative, creative and unique.

You should start a business with these fellows I am sure you would be in profit very quickly.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Cryns on 29 Apr 2017, 11:12

Thank you all for your nice replies, gentlemen

Wiking wrote: Then the copper wire people finishing
into green man

To be honest the green color still disturbs me.
That is why I switched to brown stuff last year... until Alex told me not to use that because there is 'grain' in it.
Why is green stuff green? (dark blue and yellow green components?)
I believe its produced for fantasy-gaming purposes in the first place. Maybe to make Orcs?

MABO wrote:Seems to me that you have a lot of time for the hobby, that is enviably.

That is correct. As much time as I can make free for it.

MABO wrote:Maybe you can present some of your stuff in Arnhem.

Yes, maybe I ask Dad if he has some table left for my ships&sculpts

C M Dodson wrote:You should start a business with these fellows I am sure you would be in profit very quickly.

You said that before about my ships. Thanks. Its a great compliment. I will think it over. I already discussed it with Imperial Chief (Hagen) but I thought my level was still too low to ask money for a copy.
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 29 Apr 2017, 12:06

I assure you that you will have many customers. :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by MABO on 29 Apr 2017, 18:31

Mr. Cryns wrote:

Yes, maybe I ask Dad if he has some table left for my ships&sculpts

I think he will. It is your bring and show area! :yeah:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ben90 on 29 Apr 2017, 19:35

Fantastic!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Carlos on 30 Apr 2017, 01:16

Mr Cryns, If someone told me that those photos are from an museum and are of real size sculptures of an ancient greek artist, i will believe it.
"they breathe".
Tremendous work in anatomy, positions, faces, expresion.
Great, really great work.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Wolfgang Meyer on 30 Apr 2017, 11:05

Absolutely fantastic!
The best project I know! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Wolfgang Meyer  Germany

Posted by Frankzett on 30 Apr 2017, 14:27

The storryboards for the next Project and the sculpts looking very promising!!
But to be honest, for sweating rowers on their benches I think nudity is conceivable. But i hink for the sailors at work in a windy climate on deck it isn't plausible. But neverthless, the sculpting is really great. :yeah: :yeah:

Greetings
Frank
Frankzett  

Posted by dirk on 30 Apr 2017, 16:20

That looks really good !
dirk  Germany

Posted by despertaferro on 01 May 2017, 11:17

I already discussed it with Imperial Chief (Hagen) but I thought my level was still too low to ask money for a copy.

Dear Mr. Cryns, if your sculpting level is too low to ask money for a copy, the 90% of the actual 1/72 figure manufacturers should shut down their bussines... :-D

If I was rich enough to make commissions for the figures I miss on the market, be sure you will be my first choice.
despertaferro  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Chariobaude on 02 May 2017, 20:39

despertaferro wrote:
Dear Mr. Cryns, if your sculpting level is too low to ask money for a copy, the 90% of the actual 1/72 figure manufacturers should shut down their bussines... :-D

Not to mention your amazing boats. I am even of opinion that if you produced them in series you would find many buyers!
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Cryns on 04 May 2017, 11:18

Dear gentlemen, dear friends,

Thanks for all those great replies! :oops: :-D
I start to wonder if I should start another professional career.

Frankzett wrote:for sweating rowers on their benches I think nudity is conceivable. But i hink for the sailors at work in a windy climate on deck it isn't plausible.

Yes yes, thanks for reminding Frankzett. I think you must be right. But my plan is to dress most of these man later on. I once was at sea in summer between Turkey and Cyprus on a sailing ship. The weather changed suddenly. Rain and wind. I was very cold, did not bring enough cloths to stay warm.

I remember a report from Fernão de Magalhãe's journey: when passing cape Fireland in Argentina, his ships were approached by native Indian woman and children in canoes. It was cold outside and SNOWING. But these natives were still almost NAKED. Their bodies hardened, unsensitive to the cold.

Stories like this still confuse me. How much clothing needs a weather-hardened sailor?

And why are most Greek and Roman sailors and mariners depicted naked?
You told me about artistic reasons: celebration of the divine human body?
Could you tell us more about this?
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Cryns on 04 May 2017, 11:45

Chariobaude wrote: boats. I am even of opinion that if you produced them in series you would find many buyers!

I discussed reproducing the boats with Gerard Boom.
He is selling stuff all the time at shows and conventions.
We thought of several tens of euro's per ship.
But I think such price will create a problem for myself.
The boats have so many separate parts, even 100 euro's would not cover the hours I need to cast one: clean and prepare the moulds, make iron enforcements inside the fragile parts, cast them in resin, recast all mis-casts, remove the flash, fill up air bubbles, drill holes in the hull that are not part of the mould.

I will do a test casting with use of a stopwatch to see how many hours I actually need for making one proper copy. I will let you know what will be the outcome. :drool: :eh:

But I would love to hear about a company that could do the casting for me. I doubt if there will be one since they will face the same problem in profit/time balance as I do.

About reproducing figures I already concluded casting them at home is not profitable, considering the balance between the time that is consumed and the money that will be saved. Sending them to Hagen Miniatures and pay for professional molding and casting is a more attractive solution. :-D
And yes, if any one else is interested in buying my sculpts, that would reduce the amount of my economic investment.
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Chariobaude on 04 May 2017, 22:29

Mr. Cryns wrote:We thought of several tens of euro's per ship.
But I think such price will create a problem for myself.
The boats have so many separate parts, even 100 euro's would not cover the hours I need to cast one: clean and prepare the moulds, make iron enforcements inside the fragile parts, cast them in resin, recast all mis-casts, remove the flash, fill up air bubbles, drill holes in the hull that are not part of the mould.

And yes, if any one else is interested in buying my sculpts, that would reduce the amount of my economic investment.

This a very quick advice, but i can't resist (i basically spend a third of my work time writing BPs without a predictable future :-D ):
1. ask yourself why would you do that ?
-> money ("big one", changing your profession)
-> money ("little one" just in order to cover part of the expenses of our very costly hobby)
-> fun and generosity (you love so much your hobby you don't need sleep or eat, just answering the needs of the community)

then add a benefit you want. On each goal, the margin achieved is not the same, and it is obviously up to you to decide after calculating your costs (raw materials, time spent, tools to be amortized ...).

But after reading carefully this thread, i think you just can't sell the same "product" you realized for yourself.
You have to create two ranges: a very expensive range (XXX euros) with many options, and another, much less expensive (XX euros) but also simpler, with less details, load to the buyer to Customize it as he pleases. For its viability, the second range must be more "industrial" in its mode of production.

But as we say in French, "easy to say, hard to do" ! ;-)
Chariobaude  France

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress